Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Simple machine quilting for a Log Cabin Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/simple-machine-quilting-log-cabin-quilt-t113240.html)

Sugarmag 04-03-2011 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi! New to the forum here but look forward to it!

I am finishing up my first log cabin quilt and as such, it is a busy quilt on it's own. Can anyone recommend a good quilting "pattern" or other, for the top that will not take away from the log cabin blocks but will still compliment the top? I was already thinking of using an invisible nylon thread for the top thread, but having a hard time figuring out exactly what to do with it.

My layout is a barn raising set square with well defined lights and darks.

Thanks!

My 1st Log Cabin Top!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179214[/ATTACH]

Sassylass 04-03-2011 03:40 PM

Wow , that is beautiful.....sorry I can't help you with the quilting part but there are lots of ladies here that can.

I will be watching this one for a LC in blue is on my to do list. :)

aurora41 04-03-2011 03:42 PM

I will have to do a log cabin. Every time that I see one I like it very much.. Yours is really beautiful.

maryb119 04-03-2011 03:49 PM

I hand quilted my log cabin by simply going around each square of the block in the ditch. My blocks were finished at 4 inches and the in the ditch stitching looked great when I got it done. You could do the same thing by machine. Its a beautiful quilt. Log Cabin is one of my favorite blocks.

TonnieLoree 04-03-2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
I hand quilted my log cabin by simply going around each square of the block in the ditch. My blocks were finished at 4 inches and the in the ditch stitching looked great when I got it done. You could do the same thing by machine. Its a beautiful quilt. Log Cabin is one of my favorite blocks.

That seems very labor intensive even by machine. I'm sure it is beautiful though.

TonnieLoree 04-03-2011 03:55 PM

Patiently waiting for someone to chime in here with suggestions. I have a wall hanging that needs some TLC and I am not sure what to do either.

whinnytoo 04-03-2011 04:01 PM

Beautiful quilt!!! How about feathers in all the light areas, using light beige thread,,, and feathers in the darker areas using a darker thread..???? Quilting will only enhance the beauty of this quilt. Great job!!

Jim's Gem 04-03-2011 04:36 PM

Beautiful quilt!!! I'm looking to see what others say. I have not finished a log cabin quilt yet!

Sandee 04-03-2011 05:19 PM

I always do stitch in the ditch on mine. Like the color combo in yours! Great job!

sueisallaboutquilts 04-03-2011 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
Beautiful quilt!!! How about feathers in all the light areas, using light beige thread,,, and feathers in the darker areas using a darker thread..???? Quilting will only enhance the beauty of this quilt. Great job!!

I agree on this. Anything swirly too. It's so beautiful and also in my top 3 for favorite patterns!! You did a great job :thumbup: