Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Maybe I have to quit calling myself a beginner.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/maybe-i-have-quit-calling-myself-beginner-t131876.html)

Dina 06-20-2011 10:47 AM

I just organized my hall closet, and in the process, came up with the number of quilts I have made so far....24!!! Maybe I have to quit calling myself a beginner?? I have kept most of my quilts, so the ones I have made for charity or have given away can be easily calculated....and I still am shocked that it is 24!!

Most patterns still look too complicated to me, but maybe I can call myself an intermediate quilter now. I have been quilting 2 years. I retired 3 years ago, and, even though I fought quilting, I can't believe how much I have enjoyed this hobby. (I did not think I was patient enough to quilt....that is why I fought it.)

Anyway, I will quit saying that I am a beginner... I did join this forum quite soon after I started quilting, and you have all been so helpful. I could not have changed the blade in my rotary cuter the first time without the advice that I got immediately when I posted my question.

This is a good place to be, no matter what level of quilter I really am. :)

gwanma 06-20-2011 11:00 AM

Your story sounds like mine. I hated the thought of quilting all those little blocks together, so precise and meticulous. I finally gave in and learned to do a simple quilt and now I'm hooked. I still hate the little blocks and triangles but have learned ways to get around that. That's what I love the most. The ingenuity of these quilters and how they figured out easier ways to make a complicated pattern. I've become fascinated with all the different styles and colors. Like you, I've learned so much on this board...thanks everyone! This is the best place...

moonwork42029 06-20-2011 11:05 AM

Stepping right up there... I'm soooo still a newbie :)

Dina 06-20-2011 11:22 AM

I realized after I posted this that it sounds like I am bragging on myself. I sure didn't mean for it to come across that way. I was just surprised. and still am, at how much this hobby has caught me. And what a fun way to be caught.

quilttiludrop 06-20-2011 11:25 AM

I'm right in there with you. I have made quite a few more than 2 dozen right now, but do not have ALL the tricks of the trade mastered. It will be fun to continue learning with every pattern mastered!

Painiacs 06-20-2011 12:21 PM

I'm still learning! Good for you!!

sunni 06-20-2011 12:24 PM

Definitely a newbie here....got the bug a couple years ago but have yet to make an actual quilt. I have a 9 patch started and I have made other things but not yet a quilt.

robin

Rhonda 06-20-2011 12:29 PM

There's nothing wrong in a little bragging!! Quilting allows us to feel good about ourselves and sharing that is terrific!! I love it that you shared your journey so far! It is great to read how you have progressed! Don't feel like you can't share your successes! It is a proud feeling to accomplish something like a quilt!! Enjoy the feeling!! You earned it!!

Fabaddict 06-20-2011 12:43 PM

Calling oneself a beginner is fine - after all we are all still learning new techniques, etc.

gerswin 06-20-2011 12:48 PM

i am definitely a beginner. just finished my first 2 blocks, and there's nothing wrong with a little pride in accomplishment. especially when others can share the results. :)