Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Info Needed about Pellon "Nature's Touch" Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/info-needed-about-pellon-%22natures-touch%22-batting-t146533.html)

quiltinghere 08-20-2011 11:24 AM

I purchased Pellon batting today and cannot find any information about it on line. . . at the QB, Pellon's website or searching the web.

Anyone ever heard of it - or - worked with it?
100% cotton - 4oz - 1/4" loft - 8-10" quilt spacing
Also says "The Magic in the Middle"

ckcowl 08-20-2011 03:03 PM

so what more information are you looking for? it sounds as if the information required to use the batting you have---fiber content, weight/loft, and quilting distance.
so what more do you need?
it has a scrim- which is why you can quilt so far apart-
it washes up nice
it is good for machine and hand quilting
anything else???

quiltinghere 08-20-2011 04:09 PM

I question because I've never heard of it and can't find opinions or info about it.

emmah 08-21-2011 02:48 PM

Maybe you can be the first and review it for us! Sounds like a new product, and we are always interested in recommendations from fellow quilters.

quiltinghere 08-21-2011 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by emmah
Maybe you can be the first and review it for us! Sounds like a new product, and we are always interested in recommendations from fellow quilters.

Nope - sorry - can't -

I returned it today and ordered Warm and White.

jackie25 08-22-2011 09:21 PM

I just purchased it also but I have not used it yet and I can not find anythng about it either

quiltinghere 08-23-2011 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by jackie25
I just purchased it also but I have not used it yet and I can not find anythng about it either

You're the tester for the QB then...let us know what you think about it. Hope it really works nicely because it is a few dollars less per yard that W&N

cathy s. 08-27-2011 07:12 PM

I bought this at Jo-Ann's Fabrics. First time I bought cotton batting - I've used polyester before. There were no real instructions on the bag as to step-by-step usage, but it did say that shrinkage would be 3 - 5%, and that it was "washable by hand or machine." Also that it can be used for "quilts of all types." Also, that it had scrim binder included.

In my "Complete Idiot's Guide to Quilting," it said, "Check to see if the cotton batting you are considering needs to be washed." I looked on line and couldn't find any info re this on the Pellon website.

Since the batting does shrink, I figured I should prewash it.

I did, and it fell apart in the washer.

Was I supposed to know not to wash it? If so, how do you deal with the shrinkage?

Brynn 08-27-2011 07:17 PM

Re: when to wash

When you wash batting, it's more of a soaking process than a washing. Did you just run it through the washer? I always just quilt the batting 'raw' and let it shrink in the washer. Never been an issue, and I love the texture and feel of it.

cathy s. 08-28-2011 07:46 AM

Thank you, Brynn! Now I know. Yes, I treated the batting like I treat my fabrics - throw it in the washer on hot cycle. Big mistake. But I do think the package should have some sort of instructions for beginners.

I really want to try cotton batting. The Pellon Nature's Touch is made in the USA so I really wanted to use it. Price seemed good and the "scrim binder" seems to be a good idea. Also, I really loved the texture - so pleasant compared to the synthetic. Maybe I'll see if Jo-Ann's will give me a new bag in exchange....

So the shrinkage is not a problem? I am a hand quilter, by the way.