Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing with knee lift and foot pedal (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-knee-lift-foot-pedal-t146830.html)

mpspeedy 08-21-2011 02:45 PM

For those of you who have Bernina sewing machines with the knee lift to raise the presser foot. Which foot do you use to operate the foot pedal? I have been sewing with my left foot ever since I first owned a Bernina sewing machine with the knee bar.
I was at another dealer this past week and was testing one of their Bernina machines, also with the knee lift. I complained that the cord to the foot pedal was not long enough to allow me comfortable access to the foot pedal with my left foot. They seemed surprised that I was using my left foot. Do any of you sew that way?

Lacelady 08-21-2011 02:51 PM

I sew with my right foot, and use my right knee for the knee lift.

Candace 08-21-2011 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
For those of you who have Bernina sewing machines with the knee lift to raise the presser foot. Which foot do you use to operate the foot pedal? I have been sewing with my left foot ever since I first owned a Bernina sewing machine with the knee bar.
I was at another dealer this past week and was testing one of their Bernina machines, also with the knee lift. I complained that the cord to the foot pedal was not long enough to allow me comfortable access to the foot pedal with my left foot. They seemed surprised that I was using my left foot. Do any of you sew that way?

Yes, I've retrained myself to sew (foot control) with my left foot. I do this as it's much easier and safer to sew with my left foot and use the knee lift on my right leg. I can't tell you how many needles I used to break by having my foot partially raised with the knee bar and accidentally stepping on the gas:< I've not broken one needle since the switch:> An instructor showed my her method of sewing with the left foot. It took me a week to feel like it was natural, but love it.

Yes, I have a Bernina and no problems with the cord length.

LoriEl 08-21-2011 02:54 PM

Right foot and right knee.

Jan in VA 08-21-2011 02:57 PM

Right foot, right knee....but I'm strongly right-side dominant. I have Bernie friends who use both feet.
If it "ain't" broke, don't fix it. :D

Jan in VA

miss_ticky2 08-21-2011 03:01 PM

No Bernina here but I have a Janome Horizon with a knee lift and I've taught myself to sew with my left foot on the pedal and right knee for the knee lift. Same as Candace commented above, no accidentally pressing the pedal while trying to work the knee lift that way. I find it works easier for me too. No problem with the cord length on the Horizon

catrancher 08-21-2011 03:50 PM

I use my left foot and my right knee. I'm surprised they were surprised.

BellaBoo 08-21-2011 03:57 PM

I have a knee lift and have never used it. I'm guessing it's very useful as everyone seems to like it. I may have to try and get use to it.

susiequilt 08-21-2011 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have a knee lift and have never used it. I'm guessing it's very useful as everyone seems to like it. I may have to try and get use to it.

Me too!
I'll have to dig mine out and give it a try.
I sew with my right foot and I think the knee lift is more to the right so I guess I would use right knee for that.

elizajo 08-21-2011 04:38 PM

I have a vintage Bernina 830 and never used the knee lift until last year when I started FMQ. Now I use it for all of my sewing. Tonight I'm working on a Sewing Workshop blouse pattern that has several right angles in the front yoke and collar, which have to be reinforced and faced. It's so much easier to use the knee lift at each pivot.

I'm only comfortable with using my right foot and right knee for the foot pedal and knee lift. I found that the foot pedal needs to be really stable so it stays put once you find the best spot for your foot. If it scoots around, I'll bump the knee lift when I don't mean to.