Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   D9p Question - colorways (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/d9p-question-colorways-t159483.html)

nclauri 10-10-2011 04:14 PM

I have been thinking about making a d9p quilt top. I have noticed some are 3 + colors. I am trying to decide which way I want to go. Can you all please chime in and let me know which you like more (less patterns/colors or more) and why. If you have a photo of your d9p can you post it and tell me how many different fabrics used and the placement of the fabrics to make your specific quilt? I am leaning towards 4 to 5 fabrics. Thanks in advance.

Dina 10-10-2011 04:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have only made 2 d9p, and you will get many better answers, but I was pleased with mine. Both were small quilts for a cat (yes, really), and I used 3 fabrics. Let me see if I can find pictures. I am a fairly new quilter and I was surprised how easy the d9p was!

nclauri 10-10-2011 04:40 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Your cat quilts are very cute. Thank you!

katier825 10-10-2011 04:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I use lots of prints in mine, but try to keep to a few colors. I like to use the same color for all of the centers, then my preference is to keep the 4 outer corners of the 9 patch either all light or all dark, and the opposite for the rest. I did a B&W with Turquoise and am working on a blue/green/yellow one. I like the B&W one best. The other one is busier than I envisioned. I only have a pic of the B&W one and the safari one, not for the blue/green/yellow. The Safari one I made using a panel for the squares and border print for the border.

tmg 10-10-2011 04:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I used 3 colors and 9 fabrics.

SueSew 10-10-2011 04:55 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-112522-1.htm
is the link to my first and only D9P
I think the one I copied from is miles ahead of mine - the link is in that post also

muddlingabout 10-10-2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dina
I have only made 2 d9p, and you will get many better answers, but I was pleased with mine. Both were small quilts for a cat (yes, really), and I used 3 fabrics. Let me see if I can find pictures. I am a fairly new quilter and I was surprised how easy the d9p was!

What size do you make cat quilts? This would be a perfect solution for gift giving to the cat people friends.

jaciqltznok 10-10-2011 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
I use lots of prints in mine, but try to keep to a few colors. I like to use the same color for all of the centers, then my preference is to keep the 4 outer corners of the 9 patch either all light or all dark, and the opposite for the rest. I did a B&W with Turquoise and am working on a blue/green/yellow one. I like the B&W one best. The other one is busier than I envisioned. I only have a pic of the B&W one and the safari one, not for the blue/green/yellow. The Safari one I made using a panel for the squares and border print for the border.

wow..that black/white/turquoise is stunning!

jaciqltznok 10-10-2011 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by muddlingabout

Originally Posted by Dina

What size do you make cat quilts? This would be a perfect solution for gift giving to the cat people friends.

was wondering that myself! great for I spy or themed quilts as well!

nclauri 10-10-2011 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by katier825

I love your B&W with the teal center. I have been wanting to do a B&W and this would take care of both! Thanks for the indepth description of where you placed your colors also!