Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Are you freaking out getting ready for the holidays? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/you-freaking-out-getting-ready-holidays-t168890.html)

bearisgray 11-18-2011 12:20 PM

Are you freaking out getting ready for the holidays?

How much of what you are doing - or planning to do - is really necessary?

Can you afford whatever?

"Afford" in ways in addition to money/financially - time - energy - desire -

Is the pay-off worth the time, effort, and money?

Sometimes one has to pick and choose what to do - and what to let go.

Circumstances change. This might be the year to change "what you've always done" to "what you want to do"

Just something to think about.

QuiltE 11-18-2011 12:30 PM

Well Said!!!
Too often "must do's" are not "want to do's" and we are only doing it for others.
And sometimes too, we discover that the others have never really cared about those things either.

It's important to enjoy the coming holiday season ... not to see it as a burden!

(.........and this same philosophy can and should be applied to all of live's circumstances throughout the year!)

Life is too short!! :)

KarenR 11-18-2011 12:33 PM

Hmmm -
Going to show DH this thread.

Does that mean if I do not feel like going someplace - I can skip it?

bearisgray 11-18-2011 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by KarenR (Post 4694851)
Hmmm -
Going to show DH this thread.

Does that mean if I do not feel like going someplace - I can skip it?

Sometimes it's worth a try!!!!

I do realize/know that there are some things that ARE on the "absolutely must/have to do" list - I'm only suggesting trying to make that list as short as possible.

QuiltE 11-18-2011 12:41 PM

Sometimes we really do need to take a look at the importance fo going places too!

nancy59 11-18-2011 12:52 PM

I wasn't until last night when I found out my husband fell down a mountain, and will need surgery. He will be off his feet for 2 months, guess that leaves me to plan and follow thru on everything for the holidays.

Murphy 11-18-2011 12:53 PM

No freak out here (smile)!

bearisgray 11-18-2011 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by nancy59 (Post 4694908)
I wasn't until last night when I found out my husband fell down a mountain, and will need surgery. He will be off his feet for 2 months, guess that leaves me to plan and follow thru on everything for the holidays.

I hope he recovers completely - sending healing thoughts his way.

StitchinJoy 11-18-2011 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 4694819)
How much of what you are doing - or planning to do - is really necessary?

Can you afford whatever?

"Afford" in ways in addition to money/financially - time - energy - desire -

Is the pay-off worth the time, effort, and money?

Sometimes one has to pick and choose what to do - and what to let go.

Circumstances change. This might be the year to change "what you've always done" to "what you want to do"

Just something to think about.

Not freaking out one bit. Daughter and son in law will get a queen sized bed quilt in their chosen colors, that I have been working on for a year. Husband will get his sweet treats, a donation to his favorite charity, and his fishing license paid for for 2012. Stepmom will get table runner and gift card to her favorite restaurant. Friends will be invited to open house on Christmas Eve and eat their fill and take home cookies. Life is good and simple.

bakermom 11-18-2011 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy (Post 4695116)
Not freaking out one bit. Daughter and son in law will get a queen sized bed quilt in their chosen colors, that I have been working on for a year. Husband will get his sweet treats, a donation to his favorite charity, and his fishing license paid for for 2012. Stepmom will get table runner and gift card to her favorite restaurant. Friends will be invited to open house on Christmas Eve and eat their fill and take home cookies. Life is good and simple.

Nope! I do what i feel comfortable doing-physically,financially, whatever.