Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Rowenta Iron Caught Fire!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-rowenta-iron-caught-fire-t204198.html)

bettyboop32953 10-25-2012 07:03 AM

My Rowenta Iron Caught Fire!!!

I purchased a Rowenta Focus DZ5080 several years ago. I absolutely loved my iron. It started leaking, but was way past warranty, so I just lived with it. I spent a lot of money for this iron and couldn't just throw it away. Yesterday, the iron started smelling funny and I got up to check the garage, thinking my husband was doing something. Then I decided that I had scorched some synthetic ribbon when ironing some quilt blocks. The smell was strong, so I unplugged it to cool and clean the face plate. While sitting on my kitchen counter, I plugged it in and it caught on fire at the base, inside the iron! Wow, I hate to think of what could have happened if I had stepped away waiting for the iron to heat up.

I did some research and found that many (115 so far) of the Rowenta irons have been reported catching fire. I could not find a recall notice on the Consumer Safety website. I have emailed the Rowenta corporation about this. I don't expect any financial compensation, but I am very concerned that someone could get hurt or worse. Has this happened to any of you?

Neesie 10-25-2012 07:07 AM

YIKES!!! Didn't someone else just post, not too long ago, about an iron catching fire? Can't remember the brand but do remember it was one of the "nicer" ones (also Rowenta?). I always unplug my iron, when I leave it . . . but even still, that should never happen!!! :thumbdown:

asimplelife 10-25-2012 07:09 AM

No, but I'll be keeping a VERY close eye (and nose) on mine. Mine is a different model - Professional Luxe DM 880. Yikes! So glad you were right there!!

willferg 10-25-2012 07:13 AM

Huh. I have a Rowenta that recently started leaking rusty water (after years and years of good service) so now I use it dry, and occasionally I smell something odd as well. Wonder if mine is getting ready to blow. Mine has an auto-turn off switch, so it's always plugged in...

snipforfun 10-25-2012 08:26 AM

My rowenta travel iron exploded and blew out the circut

Tartan 10-25-2012 09:17 AM

​You can read the posts from "unexpected fire- beware" posted by Kay a while back about her Rowenta iron fire. She did updates on the company's response also.

oh munner 10-25-2012 09:23 AM

There was a post just the other day about irons. I have two Rowenta's, both cost over $100.00 and both less than 6mos. old when I started having problems. One spits, sizzles and leaks everywhere and the other just leaks all over the ironing board and whatever I happen to be ironing at the time. Someone suggested I use them dry but with the sizzling I wouldn't take a chance. Again.... the problem is no one repairs them so what do you do..... toss them?

Chasing Hawk 10-25-2012 09:53 AM

I unplug my iron when not using it. Even though it has a auto-shutoff thingy. My iron is a Black and Decker model I bought it at Wal Mart for less than 20 bucks.

Scissor Queen 10-25-2012 10:21 AM

Sure makes me happy to have a new late 50s/early 60s GE dry iron. No fancy anything. Even though it's a good 50 years old it's only been in use about 6 years so I figure it'll last the rest of my life!

Peckish 10-25-2012 10:24 AM

There have been way too many reports of Rowentas catching on fire for me to even entertain the thought of purchasing one.