Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Rowenta Iron Caught Fire!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-rowenta-iron-caught-fire-t204198.html)

Jan in VA 10-25-2012 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5611726)
There have been way too many reports of Rowentas catching on fire for me to even entertain the thought of purchasing one.

My God, isn't that the truth!!! I can not even believe the company hasn't been brought to suit over the issue. Anybody got an attorney in the family? Got rid of mine three years ago (leaking, not heating well)....Black and Decker, $20, Walmart for me, too. Buy a new one 18 months from now if I have to, no big deal.

Jan in VA

wannaquilt1 10-25-2012 08:36 PM

wow that makes me glad I got my iron at the thrift store! It's a 70's model GE and works just fine for me :) I also unplug it when not using it. If I forget to unplug sometimes I also forget to turn it off and it has been on all night before! Ahhhhhh lucky nothing like this happened. I'm so sorry this happened to you! I wonder if you can get a cheepo at the thrift store to replace it. Mine was 99 cents :)

Peckish 10-25-2012 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1 (Post 5612818)
I forget to unplug sometimes I also forget to turn it off and it has been on all night before

I have a friend who got one of those stretchy, curly plastic bracelets. She puts it on when she plugs in her iron and doesn't take it off until she unplugs it. Kind of a built-in alarm system.

Vanuatu Jill 10-25-2012 10:21 PM

I gave up on Rowenta after purchasing two last year and ended taking both back, one to Walmart and the other ( which I held on to for about 10 months)! to CostCo. They have such good return policy! I now have a Sunbeam Turbo steam master, and it leaks occasionally. However, it gets very heavy daily use and I tend to not unplug it when I know I will be using it off and on throughout the day. Bad me!! It beeps at me when it shuts itself off after around 8 minutes, anyway. I have had it about 10 months, and really can't complain. I bought an Oliso and took it back, too because it leaked! I have a cheapo Rival from Walmart which I use just for fusible appliqué.

bettyboop32953 10-26-2012 01:00 AM

UPDATE from Rowenta: I sent an email to Rowenta customer service and received a call back. They have sent me a UPS shipping label to return the defective iron and are sending me another iron. "They are unaware of any problems with irons catching fire." I appreciate that they are willing to replace the iron 5 years out of warranty, but the safety factor concerns me. From my limited research on the Web, it doesn't seem to be any specific model. It seems to be a design problem with the base where the cord attaches. I wonder if the leaky water tanks are shorting out the cords? I appreciate the anecdotal information that backs up my experience, but I think further action is required. I am just not sure what that should be. I will report this to the Consumer Product Safety.

quilttiger 10-26-2012 03:07 AM

I have a Rowenta steam generator because the steam control is underneath the handle. This makes it easier to use steam since I have arthritis in my hand, especially where the thumb joint is. It is a replacement for another Rowenta steam generator (different model) I had over 6 years. It was acting up, etc. Over the years, I have had several brands of irons. None of them were ever "perfect." I do turn off the iron when I know if I will be away, say, for lunch. Once I am done for the day, I turn off the surge protector so that there is no latent electricty going into the iron overnight.

stchenfool 10-26-2012 03:47 AM

That is really scarry. Thank you for letting us know!

vickig626 10-26-2012 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5611334)
YIKES!!! Didn't someone else just post, not too long ago, about an iron catching fire? Can't remember the brand but do remember it was one of the "nicer" ones (also Rowenta?). I always unplug my iron, when I leave it . . . but even still, that should never happen!!! :thumbdown:

When I saw this post, I said to myself "Another one? " It was another Rowenta.

I had one that started leaking just before the warranty ran out so I was able to get it replaced. The replacement one started leaking within the next year (about 10-11 months later). I just bought a cheaper brand, which also started leaking after about a year.....is this a pattern???? Don't know.

I bought a inexpensive one ($27) and it started "peeing" (much more than a leak) from the upper area (if standing on end) of the handle.....uuuugggghhhh.....what to do???

I've had a Shark ($39.99) for about a year now and guess what?? Still working great!!! I'll probably replace my other leaky iron with another Shark. I'm sold at this point. PLUS -- it has a very large water reservoir and great steam.

vickig626 10-26-2012 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill (Post 5612915)
I gave up on Rowenta after purchasing two last year and ended taking both back, one to Walmart and the other ( which I held on to for about 10 months)! to CostCo. They have such good return policy! I now have a Sunbeam Turbo steam master, and it leaks occasionally. However, it gets very heavy daily use and I tend to not unplug it when I know I will be using it off and on throughout the day. Bad me!! It beeps at me when it shuts itself off after around 8 minutes, anyway. I have had it about 10 months, and really can't complain. I bought an Oliso and took it back, too because it leaked! I have a cheapo Rival from Walmart which I use just for fusible appliqué.

I have my irons plugged into power strips that are easy to reach. Much more convenient.

Geri B 10-26-2012 04:39 AM

As far as response rec'd from Rowenta--they are going to send another iron---I would tell them "no thanks"............would want my $$ refunded.........I in the past I have had two R's and finally gave up on them...they never caught fire, just leaked......so now I buy cheapos from Walmart and when they konk out I replace......but now I am intrigued about this Shark mentioned....will look into that brand.......