Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Rowenta Iron Caught Fire!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-rowenta-iron-caught-fire-t204198.html)

My time 10-26-2012 07:50 AM

My sentiments exactly when I read this post. Another Rowenta iron catches fire?? As wonderful an iron as they are to iron with I would never buy one. I have never heard of another iron causing so much trouble. Let's just stop buying them! Who knows what could happen next?

dglvr 10-26-2012 08:02 AM

Ohhhh thats scary. I have a Rowenta I just use when I'm using fusibles. My other iron is an Oliso so maybe I'll get rid of Rowenta. Goooood to know. Thanks for posting.

PJisChaos 10-26-2012 08:15 AM

I have never owned any iron costing more than $20- $25 bought at good old Wal~Mart but, I am going to copy and paste the OP's posts on my facebook page to raise awareness with my friends. Thanks for the info to pass along! I am sure some of my other sewing/quilting friends there would appreciate it as well.

jlwheart 10-26-2012 08:45 AM

I have 2 Rowentas and I just called their US customer service # and talked w/rep. He told me he was going to document my concern. I told him about reading about yet, another Rowenta, catching fire. I also told him until they get this problem fixed, I'm switching to another brand. Thanks for heads up about Shark. It's on my shopping list for next week!!!
PS I did mention the QB to the rep.

LadyElisabeth 10-26-2012 08:47 AM

THANK YOU for this information. So important to share with all of us when something like this happens. Glad you are all OK and no loss (well, except for the iron)

ptquilts 10-26-2012 08:57 AM

wow, all you have to do is Google "Rowentas iron fire" and you get ALL KINDS of reports! The next person who calls Rowenta, ask them if they know how to Google!!

They have a BIG LAWSUIT waiting to happen!! And the lawyer for the plaintiff WILL know how to use Google!

I am happy with my T-Fal, got it free somewhere, great non-stick soleplate. I NEVER leave anything like that plugged in, I even unplug the toaster when I am done with it. I found it heating up like crazy once with NO toast in it.

misseva 10-26-2012 09:04 AM

I had a Rowenta seam generating iron for approx. 10 years before I wore out the on/off switch. A friend at church re-wired it so that I had to unplug it to turn it off. Lasted a little longer. Just got my Rowenta DG8430 Precision Steam Station with 400 hole soleplate and I sure hope nothing happens to it. No other iron I've had produces the amount of steam AND since water is not in iron itself - it never leaks. You have to have unplug from socket to turn it off and the water tank is not removable like my old one.

Eileen De Ville 10-26-2012 09:22 AM

Thanks for the information. I have two Rowenta's; one in my laundry room (the most expersive) and one in my sewing room which I bought on sale at Bed, Bath and Beyone plus a 20% coupon. I have never had a problem, but I do unplug the one in the laundry room all the time. I have been turning off the one in the sewing room, but I am quilty of leaving it plugged in. Thanks to your message, I will in the future unplug that one also. No matter what the brand, I think it would be a good idea to disconnect the cord from the outlet.

Pds 10-26-2012 09:32 AM

I purchased a total of about 4 Rowenta irons (including a little travel iron) and ALL of them didn't last more than 2 years from the most expensive to the cheaper travel iron. I wrote the company and they have horrible customer service. They essentially told me---"oh well, too bad, so sad". As a result, I will never ever buy a Rowenta again. The cheaper irons last just as long and often, longer!

yippie 10-26-2012 10:17 AM

Hope you are alright! Another person on QB had the same thing happen to her but she was using the iron at the time and she was burned and her quilt was burned. She is alright now and she even found a way to save the quilt. The people on this board are great!!! I believe she said she contacted the company and they sent her a new Rowenta, I believe she said that she would not use it. I do not know if she is the one that they made the comment to that thay knew about the problem.

I also have a Rowenta I do not know what model, (not at home right now to check) I really love it however It has always leaked and that always bothered me. After reading about diffrent problems with this iron it makes me very unconfortable to use this iron. What upsets me is it cost a lot I can not just toss it. After telling my DH about the diffrent bad things that the Rowenta has done for other. He said I need to get a diffrent iron so after a lot of surching I sent for a RELIANCE (spelled wrong) I have not used it yet just received it and have not had time. NO I do not have any thing to do with the company that makes this Iron. I purchased my daughter one a long time a go and really like hers.