Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Rowenta Iron Caught Fire!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-rowenta-iron-caught-fire-t204198.html)

MadP 10-26-2012 04:43 AM

I have a Rowenta, never have liked it, so I don't use it a whole lot. I will be watching it closely when I do. Thanks.

damaquilts 10-26-2012 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5611726)
There have been way too many reports of Rowentas catching on fire for me to even entertain the thought of purchasing one.

I am with you. If I spent that much on an iron I don't expect it to leak either let alone catch on fire. I will stick with my $40 Tfal iron. Never any problems .

GammaLou 10-26-2012 05:10 AM

I had a Shark that I really liked but decided to 'upgrade' to a Rowenta. I'm so sorry that I did. I miss my Shark and that is what I will replace this Rowenta with when I need to. Just wondering if I should do it sooner than later!!

baskets4daze 10-26-2012 05:15 AM

you know, I probably have the very same GE iron. Works great!

quiltmom04 10-26-2012 06:17 AM

Yeah, I've had several (don't know WHY I keep buying them!) and they ALL leaked! Also, my cord caught fire! I will NEVER buy another Rowneta! I got a heavy Black and Decker and its fine.

crafty pat 10-26-2012 06:28 AM

I have had my Rowneta for several years with no problems until last week. I was pressing some blocks and the part of my iron that was on the ironing board cover started burning and melting the cover. It has an auto turn off but it must have just kept heating until it got that hot. Now I am afraid to use it and it will be going into the trash, with the cord cut off. I will be looking for another brand.

jgaskins 10-26-2012 06:30 AM

Iron fire

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing. Speaking of irons, I'd like to let you know. I bought an Oliso several years ago. Then it wouldn't turn off, then it wouldn't heat. I contacted them and they said send it back. If it can be fixed, they would and send it back. If not, if I paid a reasonable fee, they'd just send me a new iron. I was really impressed working with them. Point being, if you contact Rowenta, maybe they will send you a new iron.

jude by the sea 10-26-2012 06:34 AM

Yikes, yikes yikes this seems like it just happened to someone else on this board, think of people who aren't on our board and have no idea of the potential problem! I have an allisio (spelling) it raises up when I set it down . I have had it for 3 years and now when I iron the handle feels really hot! I am keeping my eyes on it! Why don't they make things like they use to because everything lasted much longer back in the day.

Jo Anne B. 10-26-2012 07:02 AM

My Rowenta iron is relatively new, 2 yrs. old, It makes me nervous as the heating cycle seems to go to such big extremes, makes ironing inconsistent... leaves me wondering and waiting for the possible malfunction. I have been unplugging or not leaving but for moments.
Seems to work better when I iron for long durations as when ironing clothes vs short bursts when quilting...
Seem to think I would like to have one of those fancy irons that is geared to quilting, can't think of the name, but have heard mixed reviews there too.

Peckish 10-26-2012 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by bettyboop32953 (Post 5612947)
UPDATE from Rowenta: "They are unaware of any problems with irons catching fire."

That's what they ALWAYS say! Every person on this site who has posted this very same problem (and there have been quite a few) comes back to report the exact same response from Rowenta. I can't figure out if A) Rowenta has a huge turnover in their customer no-service agents; B) they think we are THAT dumb and don't talk to each other; or C) are in that much denial that they don't see a huge problem (and liability!) with their product. There's already been one burn injury reported here on the board; I wonder how many others have been reported to Rowenta, or not reported at all.

I'm waiting with dread for the day when someone posts that they had some major fire damage - or worse - due to a defective Rowenta.