Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which quilt pattern intimidates you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-pattern-intimidates-you-t206169.html)

jclinganrey 11-16-2012 03:54 PM

Which quilt pattern intimidates you?

I've been a quilter for a few decades and I've seen pretty much everything in my quilting career. What baffles me, however, is that certain patterns or techniques just intimidate the living daylights out of me. I don't know why. They just do. For me, it's the Bargello quilt technique. I admire those who applique and I've seen lots of beautiful appliqued quilts over the years but it's not a technique I have any desire to master. I'll leave it to those are good at it. Yep. It's Bargello. How about you?

CarolinePaj 11-16-2012 03:59 PM

I really want to do a mariners compass, but I always put it off..... Scares the bejeepers out of me!

hugs

Caroline

gingerd 11-16-2012 04:08 PM

Circles........I can't imagine sewing a circle into fabric and it still looking like a circle. Mine would look like boulders with jagged edges if I tried.

Oh, and appliqué scares me too. I couldn't do an even stitch with that if I tried.

CoventryUK 11-16-2012 04:09 PM

I can't get my head round paper piecing!!! I've been quilting for 17years......but working back to front?....my brain just doesn't compute!!!!:rolleyes:

DogHouseMom 11-16-2012 04:17 PM

I try to embrace the difficult and daunting ... and I'm slowly working through various techniques. Have not tackled piecing circles yet but not for the reason you imagine. My background is in garment making so I've sewn many a set in sleeve. My problem is that I don't buy patterns or templates - prefer to figure things out on my own. I am just not sure if to get a proper circle if the outside curve and inside curve are the same. I just need to work out the geometry.

JulieR 11-16-2012 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj (Post 5661639)
I really want to do a mariners compass, but I always put it off..... Scares the bejeepers out of me!

hugs

Caroline

Me, too! Not much intimidates me, but this one sure does. I'm not sure why.

stillclock 11-16-2012 04:34 PM

mariner's compass. and those kaleidoscope thingys.

isolde

luce321 11-16-2012 04:40 PM

"Storm at Sea" is a problem for me. I am making a quilt of 12 blocks but when it came to SAS block, I gave up on it. I decided to use another block to comlete my project. I did not have trouble putting it together, just getting it to size up the same as he other blocks.

faykilgore 11-16-2012 04:54 PM

I've done a mariner's compass. It looks like a volcano sitting in the middle of the bed. I am determined to do it better someday, but other projects keep interfering.

damaquilts 11-16-2012 04:55 PM

So far I haven't run across one. I have yet to do a Mariners compass but I would probably paper piece it if I did. Now if I had to piece it like in the old days I would run. Applique I actually love but can no longer get those teeny tiny invisible stitches I use to , eyesight .. Storm at Sea seems easy enough unless we are thinking of 2 different patterns. Oh I would never think of doing one of the Dear Jane quilts though.