Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   windows xp is (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/windows-xp-t231090.html)

hamchips88 09-25-2013 01:31 PM

windows xp is

retiring in april sometime. so they say nothing will work so do not use it. thats great i have xp. :eek:

blimey 09-25-2013 02:30 PM

I have windows xp also. It is good enough for me and still plodding along. How will it affect xp owners when it is retired. I am really green when it comes to computers. I don't want to buy a new one.

hamchips88 09-25-2013 02:39 PM

it says you can add 1 gb of ram thats what mines need and you can upgrade some of the hard drive. i have about six months to do alot of research on this. i am new to computers too. look under windows xp and it will come up and you can go into site and download what your computer needs to get it ready for windows 8 or the like..

hamchips88 09-25-2013 02:41 PM

oh! and they say not to use xp cause it will not be protecting your computer anymore from viruses or anything

tessagin 09-25-2013 02:43 PM

Don't worry about right now. Just wait til you can't use it. I was told along time ago I couldn't use it and that's all I use. For about I don't know since started using computers. 2003.

mighty 09-25-2013 04:18 PM

What a bummer!!!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-25-2013 04:23 PM

You will still be able to use it. It will just no longer be supported by Windows. No new "fixes" will be released. Your anti-virus/anti-malware software should still protect you. New programs may not run on it, but unless you are doing software upgrades it will not be a problem for a long time.

Don't panic. Do some research. Many of the IT sites are recommending home computers just not worry about it.

cathyvv 09-25-2013 04:34 PM

Most things will work for awhile. As technology moves on, though, software companies will eventually stop supporting XP versions of their products.

I have my nephews XP from 2001. It has not been used, and therefore also not updated with automatic downloads, since about 2003. When I tried to update it this past summer, I couldn't. The version of XP on the pc is so old it can't process the updates and web pages don't load correctly. If it had been automatically updated all along, it would probably work just fine now. It doesn't matter to me - I got it for my Grandson (10) who is always fooling with the settings on the computer and going places on the internet he's not supposed to go. He can play games on it and change settings (and then forget what he did) to his hearts content, because it's not hurting anything/anyone but himself if he wrecks it. It has no internet connection available to it where I put it. (Note: He has Aspergers syndrome and truly doesn't understand why he shouldn't do what he does on the computer. That, coupled with being intellectually very bright can be a problem.)

Eventually, you will have the same kinds of problems with your XP, but it should take a couple of years to reach the state that my grandsons' pc is in.

Your biggest short term issue will be security, especially once the security software makers decide that they don't want to support XP anymore. As long as everything else is working on your pc and software security still supports XP, you can use the XP. After that, it's time to get a new pc.

You can use software that is loaded locally on your pc, like Word and Excel, until the pc breaks down. ("Locally" means that you have your own licensed copy of the software on your pc AND you can use it without ever turning the internet on.)

NOTE: While you may still be able to run your pc well enough and connect to the internet after security software no longer supports XP, I don't recommend that you do so. Hackers will be quick to exploit that 'opportunity', and nothing on your pc will be safe from them.

QuiltnNan 09-25-2013 04:46 PM

this is all very interesting. i got xp after win7 came out because i have some software programs that will not work on versions newer than xp. i sure hope i can still use them for a long time as some of them do not even have upgrades available.

sandy l 09-26-2013 03:31 AM

All of you that have windows xp that is going away, just pray that unless they do a lot of fixing, you don't have windows 8 to learn. We went from xp to windows 8, and there can be one h**l of a learning curve. First couple of weeks was enough for me to want to pick the whole thing up and throw it out the window. It's getting easier, but still frustrating at times.