Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New quilter starting out- what shall I supply her with? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-quilter-starting-out-what-shall-i-supply-her-t23585.html)

Barbm 08-01-2009 11:54 AM

My grandson Noah brought his parents with him to visit. They are collecting "stuff" they left behind when they went to Japan last year. In 2 weeks they will be in Las Vegas.

"A" spied my 12 tubs of fabric and asked what she can have. So- what would be good "stuff" to send with her? She has a rotary cutter and mat, good scissors and a machine.

I can't remember what I started with, it's been so long ago.

BTW- she brought me a piece of fabric from Japan that matches fabric I'm collecting to match my Geisha fabric from ages ago. Now, I think I need to pull that out and start figuring out a wallhanging.

Thanks for your help!!
Barb

Esqmommy 08-01-2009 11:59 AM

What every quilter needs - A good SEAM RIPPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barbm 08-01-2009 12:09 PM

just asked her- she says- Jack the Ripper? yeah, I have him.

She's going through my cupboards now- I no longer have tongs, a fruit basket, wine rack. Seriously- she's opening every door and drawer. :) Maybe I can get her to take some Christmas decorations too.

Teacup 08-01-2009 12:18 PM

Amen to the seam ripper! How about several basic acrylic cutting rulers and one for squaring up. Some good quality thread in neutral colors. And a good book of introductory quilting terms and techniques so there's a place to go when she has a question. I rely on one by Better Homes and Gardens, "Complete Guide to Quilting." I know there are other good books and if you do a search you can see what other members have recommended. Amazon is a good place to order if you need it with just a few days turnaround. Also, if you have a list of good online resources that provide valuable tutorials, that could be helpful.

sharon b 08-01-2009 12:42 PM

Ruler(s)

ghostrider 08-01-2009 01:49 PM

Patience, resourcefulness, adaptability, acceptance, perseverance and the ability to laugh at her mistakes.

sunnyhope 08-01-2009 01:51 PM

Errrrm did you say she could open all ur cupboards????

If so; can i come too,lol :lol:

bearisgray 08-01-2009 02:33 PM

I'm confused - is this your daughter? your daughter-in-law?

What do you WANT to give her?

Is anything you have up for grabs?

Barbm 08-01-2009 02:53 PM

my daughter.

we just went through the 12 tubs of fabric and she now has 1 and I have 11. I only said no to one set of fabric- a Paula Nadelstern I bought last year. It's a someday quilt. She got a lot of "this and that" and all my elmo fabs.

She said I have a serious problem and need Quilters Anonymous. I just laughed.

If I could get her to take some furniture, I'd be really happy.

cutebuns 08-01-2009 03:06 PM

She is going to need a couple of patterns, Magazines etc. give her some ideas what to do with her beginnig stash.