Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do with your small strips or pieces of batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-your-small-strips-pieces-batting-t236299.html)

#1piecemaker 12-08-2013 05:38 AM

What do you do with your small strips or pieces of batting?

Every time I finish a quilt and trim off the excess, I hesitate to throw away the remnants of batting around the edges. I have a box that I throw them in until the time when they become "useful". I have been known to use them in pin cushions, pillows, to practice with; even to use to put around, over or under my garden plants to keep out the weeds or to keep the fruit from touching the ground. I've also used them for small projects. What about you? What do you do wit your small pieces of batting? Oh, I also use a small strip to clean my machine and table. It grabs dust and tiny threads like crazy!

tezell0801 12-08-2013 05:41 AM

Unless it is big enough for a pot holder, I usually toss it. I have a very small storage area, somethings have to go.

mannem 12-08-2013 06:03 AM

I save until I have enough 5 1/2 by 5 1/2 squares to make a rag quilt, about 56. Then I layer them between 8" squares of home spun or other fabric that ravels nicely, sew an X across the sandwich and voila!

eparys 12-08-2013 06:15 AM

I throw them out, sadly. One of my friends from on line saves them for pet beds - but that seems a lot of work as I have a 90 pound Lab - lol.

Weezy Rider 12-08-2013 07:00 AM

If it's a reasonable size, there is iron on tape that will join batting pieces together. A lot of times I'm short just one inch in width, so taping a scrap piece of batting on helps. If you are quilting it, it won't show or come apart.

I have patterns for 3x3 ornaments.

mighty 12-08-2013 07:03 AM

I join alot of them together and use them if they are of a good size. I also use alot of small pieces to clean my tracks on my longarm frame.

katier825 12-08-2013 07:13 AM

unless they are very narrow, I keep them. they are good for purse/tote straps, use in place of polyfil on small projects. I will piece together if I need just a tad more batting for a project.

grammyp 12-08-2013 07:13 AM

I sew them together to use in small projects, practice quilting pieces, or for dusting/cleaning machines and furniture.

Lori S 12-08-2013 07:19 AM

I save strips even its about 1 inch . It take very little time to butt the edges together and make a piece large enough for small totes, pot holders. I don't wait until I get a lot .. once I trim a quilt , what ever gets trimmed gets "merged" into one bigger piece. Its a lot easier to store/ use the merged pieces when the time comes.
I started doing this when I realized the time it would take to go to the store and purchase a batting was more than the time it takes to "merge" the pieces. Plus I save $$.

toverly 12-08-2013 07:20 AM

I save any pieces that are big enough for a placemat. After that, they go in the trash.