Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Storing your stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/storing-your-stash-t238601.html)

mamaborne 01-11-2014 08:21 AM

Storing your stash

So... I finally organized my office and I'm now ready to start quilting. I have a nice stash started from a few years back of samples I ordered from fabric.com. They are starting to pile up though, so I need to start thinking about storage ideas.

I was thinking of buying some pretty paper boxes to put them in, but then thought that having them visible might be a source of inspiration?

Anyone have/seen any great ideas on how to store your stash? I have a large wall where I could hang shelving, as one option. Sort of like the idea of containers better though, as they'll get dusty on a shelf, even if in bins.

Thanks!

MaryMo 01-11-2014 08:28 AM

Others will disagree but I like plastic bins where I can see fabric. Some fabric just sits on shelving and in stacks, it just gets dusty and needs a good shaking out before I use it. I generally wash fabric before adding it to stash.

charsuewilson 01-11-2014 08:29 AM

I use colorless plastic bins. Putting the bins on shelving would be a good idea.

Tartan 01-11-2014 08:36 AM

If you have room for filing cabinets, check out dilyn's picture post under "I quilted my drawers"

peaceandjoy 01-11-2014 08:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I love cube storage. Keeps everything neat, you can see what you have, and as a bonus, there is a usable surface on the top!

The white units are from Target - I think. The darker ones are a cutting/storage table built from Ikea Expedit book cases. Those empty cubbies are all full now...

AngeliaNR 01-11-2014 08:54 AM

I'm a bin person. We have a wood stove, so the dust is plentiful! (My curtains are atrocious when I wash them in the spring!) I only have a small closet for storage, so stacking is essential. Not the easiest setup for browsing, but we do what we must. :)

sewmary 01-11-2014 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy (Post 6506607)
I love cube storage. Keeps everything neat, you can see what you have, and as a bonus, there is a usable surface on the top!

The white units are from Target - I think. The darker ones are a cutting/storage table built from Ikea Expedit book cases. Those empty cubbies are all full now...

Expedits! I love them and have them all over but never thought of this use for them. Expedits are the best-selling bookcases in the world. Now definitely a trip (hour and a half each way to Chicago suburb) to get more expedits! Thanks for the great idea!

Luv Quilts and Cats 01-11-2014 09:46 AM

I store my fabric in clear plastic bins. They are not sorted for color yet as I tend to buy coordinating colors together. Lately though I have just been buying fabric that catches my eye and it would be good to sort those by theme or color. Have fun with your new quilt room!!!!!

Dolphyngyrl 01-11-2014 12:28 PM

I store mine in plastic tubs, but I only have 2 as I don't have a large stash as others do. One of my tubs is see through the other is not

Jan in VA 01-11-2014 01:17 PM

My fabrics are stored on shelves behind doors in a large armoire in my sewing space.