Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Just for Fun, what is the wackiest thing you have found in a vintage machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/just-fun-what-wackiest-thing-you-have-found-vintage-machine-t245559.html)

NopahDesertRat 04-21-2014 07:12 PM

Just for Fun, what is the wackiest thing you have found in a vintage machine

Hi,

I have been wondering if I am the only one finding weird stuff in old sewing machines.
Lets hear what you have found.
My most unusual was a bunch of popped popcorn in a beautiful 1906 White family Rotary. It began falling out and falling out, I thought it was never going to stop.
Mice nest, old pins, scraps seem normal.
My son, who I am afraid I have infected with the old sewing machine bug, sent me some photos of a machine he was cleaning. He took off the face plate and out fell dead cockroaches & their feces.

So lets hear it from everyone, send us your strange "find" in a sewing machine.

Ethel

amcatanzaro 04-21-2014 08:13 PM

Thus far, fountain pen nibs.

Mizkaki 04-21-2014 08:31 PM

I bought a very dirty Viking 21 and found a Mud dauber's nest up inside it.

Cathy

Originally Posted by NopahDesertRat (Post 6685823)
Hi,

I have been wondering if I am the only one finding weird stuff in old sewing machines.
Lets hear what you have found.
My most unusual was a bunch of popped popcorn in a beautiful 1906 White family Rotary. It began falling out and falling out, I thought it was never going to stop.
Mice nest, old pins, scraps seem normal.
My son, who I am afraid I have infected with the old sewing machine bug, sent me some photos of a machine he was cleaning. He took off the face plate and out fell dead cockroaches & their feces.

So lets hear it from everyone, send us your strange "find" in a sewing machine.

Ethel

miriam 04-22-2014 03:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have a Sears godzilla with a mouse nest made out of pink insulation. I have found old garters, a letter from Singer and my favorite is a crochet hook with the hook end ground to a point.
How about pics? This is stuff from drawers of a Wheeler and Wilson.
I don't know what the thing is:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]472645[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]472644[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]472643[/ATTACH]

ThayerRags 04-22-2014 05:35 AM

Bought an old Singer 27 treadle, and the hand wheel wouldn’t turn, just wiggle back and forth a bit. So, I gave it a good hard turn and heard a loud “crack”....

Some varmint had filled the arm and pillar completely full of pecans, and boy were they packed in there!

CD in Oklahoma

frudemoo 04-22-2014 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags (Post 6686240)
Some varmint had filled the arm and pillar completely full of pecans, and boy were they packed in there!

Actually laughed out loud at this CD!! Probably because I have really small kids ;)

Stitchit123 04-22-2014 06:49 AM

All I've ever found was giant dust bunnies. But a friend of mine spotted a sewing machine cabinet in an alley. She wrestled it into her car and hauled it home. Well she has a nice Singer from 1974 and 3 kittens. She still has all 4 treasure's. She named the kittens Singer-Bobbin and Thread. She has 3 dogs Peanut-Butter and Jam.

Sunflowerzz 04-22-2014 03:19 PM

Lots of fun things in the drawers and plastic cases but the one that made me fall over backwards was one of the poor old machines I bought that had been outside in the dirt. When I turned it over to see what it looked like underneath several cockroaches decided to flee the premises!!! I now take garden gloves with me and I put those machines in the back of the truck, and those machines are kept quarantined outside until they each receive the all clear. :p

lynnie 04-22-2014 03:33 PM

some people use real popcorn to pack things in, so this might be where the popcorn came from.

Teacup 04-22-2014 04:24 PM

LOVE the kitten story!