Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for baby quilt ideas............ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-baby-quilt-ideas-t263896.html)

LavenderBlue 04-11-2015 05:10 PM

Looking for baby quilt ideas............

I will become a great grandma in July. My granddaughter and her husband have chosen not to know the baby's sex before birth. The baby shower will be in 6 weeks. Don't want to make anything girlie but other colors and patterns seem plain or masculine in case of a boy. Any ideas on colors and pattern? MANY THANKS!

Cybrarian 04-11-2015 05:50 PM

There are many adorable panels in primary colors- alphabet themed, numbers, book characters, animals, and this extends the use well into the toddler and young child stages. I'm making Eric Carle's Hungry Caterpillar fabrics into a quilt for my granddaughter due in September, and including the book with it. Also an Alphabet quilt, a cute zoo animals one and some fabric books- I'm a teacher and school librarian, I have so many projects for this baby!

sewNso 04-11-2015 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a row of pinwheels.
a 5"strpof fabric
a r0w of pinwheels
a 5' strip of fabric
*repeat several times.
borde them by a 2" strip,
5" Border around it all
2 " border
5 " bordr.

DebD800 04-11-2015 07:01 PM

I am also doing a Hungry Caterpillar quilt for my niece's baby. She, like your granddaughter and her husband, has chosen not to learn the gender of her baby before birth. My quilt is turning out really well and was simple to make!

Tartan 04-11-2015 07:04 PM

The chevron quilts are gender neutral. Stars and pinwheels are good also. How about an I Spy quilt?

quiltingcandy 04-11-2015 07:30 PM

I'm rather partial to "I Spy" quilts. My favorite are the hexagon style with the triangles between them, but also do the patchwork. There is a book called "P.S. I Love You" which is full of baby quilt ideas. Actually there is about 3 different P.S. I Love You books. Mine was in the first book.

vondae 04-11-2015 07:49 PM

Congratulations on becoming a great grandma. What a blessing in your life.
I am doing a quilt from a Jenny Doan tutorial at MSQC. It is the Binding Tool Star Quilt. It is made from a jelly roll (or can cut your own) and a yard of background fabric and the binding tool. It goes together very quickly, easily and looks like you spent a lot of time making it when you didn't. Since it only makes about a 32 inch or so quilt as is, I am adding some additional borders and it looks so cute. So you can make it crib size or a throw size.
Good Luck with whatever you choose and ENJOY THAT NEW ADDITION TO YOUR FAMILY!!!!

nanacc 04-11-2015 08:14 PM

I'm working on a plan to use simple nine patch or jelly roll with an applique from some of the giant coloring books I have collected. I posted one I made that was a large star formed with hst's made from 12" squares...Fast and cute made from cute prints and coordinates.

IrishgalfromNJ 04-12-2015 02:31 AM

You can always wait and make the quilt after the baby is born.

QuiltingHaven 04-12-2015 03:11 AM

Baby Quilt

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one that I am currently working on. I am hand quilting around all the letters. The original panel came from Ethelbird but I cut it apart and added to it to make it my own. I used all bright colors and tried to keep it gender friendly. Hope this helps.