Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I opened my 1st jelly roll! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-opened-my-1st-jelly-roll-t267948.html)

crafty-kid 07-24-2015 12:11 PM

I opened my 1st jelly roll!

I did a "jelly roll race 2" with it and now am trying to figure out a nice way to home machine quilt it. In the small white blocks I was thinking of a putting the letter "S" and give it to brother and his new bride, for the last name. And a S is right side up either direction.
Any thought of how to quilt it....toss them my direction. I'm somewhat new at machine quilting, but can be up for a challenge! Hmmm I can't seem to attach a photo from my phone. Will do that on the computer then.

Bree123 07-24-2015 12:20 PM

Posting a picture will help. Often I like to pick a quilting pattern based on some other component of the quilt. Maybe there is some design in one of your fabrics that could be repeated in the quilting.

I've seen leaves and waves and pebbles/circles on these quilts and they all can look nice depending on what else is going on with the quilt.

ManiacQuilter2 07-24-2015 01:11 PM

I have never made one before but if you have any large stencils with a background design, mark the quilt and quilt it that way.

crafty-kid 07-24-2015 01:31 PM

photo

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the photo....couldn't figure out how to post a photo from a smart phone...'stupid human' haha!

It was fun and fast to put together...kinda wish that my red was spread throughout a bit better. All I did was open and then go in order.

quiltsRfun 07-24-2015 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used my walking foot and did straight line quilting down the center of each strip.

Onebyone 07-24-2015 02:33 PM

Small crosshatching looks great on most quilts. I love the look it gives. Not many do crosshatching anymore and it's so simple.

OhCanada 07-24-2015 02:35 PM

I don't know what type of domestic sewing machine you have, but if it has a serpentine stitch then running that down each long seam using a walking foot would be very nice, and easy to do as well.

Latrinka 07-24-2015 03:00 PM

Really cute quilt! I also love doing jelly roll race quilts! I would probly do a serpentine down each seam, or maybe even a decorative down the center of each strip. I love crosshatching on quilts too, so it just depends on what you feel like doing! I've done the crosshatching using the painters tape, worked really well. Good Luck!

Bluebonnets 07-24-2015 03:02 PM

Very pretty quilt top! I love cross hatching as well. Such a nice look!

Congrats on your first jelly roll! I've opened four now and loving them (smile).

crafty-kid 07-24-2015 04:17 PM

Thanks for the support. I do have lots of built in decorative stitches on my machine, so that might be the best option...and for the thread color? The back of the quilt is gray with red and black flowers/stems...a smaller print.