Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting with a 4 year old (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-4-year-old-t270512.html)

quiltsRfun 09-29-2015 11:30 AM

Quilting with a 4 year old

While I'm staying with my daughter for a couple of weeks my 4 year old granddaughter has been helping me make a quilt. It's an easy sew pattern I kitted up before I left home using plain pastels and white fabric. She's been helping me choose which colors to sew together and which color to put on top as I sew them together. This morning when I asked what we should do she said we needed to sew our quilt. She's been having a lot of fun playing with the fabric patches. The fabric has wrinkled and frayed a bit but we'll just "make it work," to quote Tim Gunn. This quilt will be a great memory of the time we spent together. It was originally intended as a gift but I don't know if I'll want to part with it.

Tiggersmom 09-29-2015 11:39 AM

Sounds like a great keeper! Memories for both of you. Good going grandma!

cathyvv 09-29-2015 12:14 PM

Perhaps the real gift is working on it with your grand daughter!

feline fanatic 09-29-2015 12:36 PM

Aww how sweet. I have a feeling you may have to part with it. DGD will want it!

QuiltnNan 09-29-2015 01:12 PM

what a wonderful way to make memories

costumegirl 09-29-2015 02:03 PM

So much fun and what a wonderful experience! Please post some pictures :)

Kitsie 09-29-2015 04:19 PM

Please show us a picture of your (the 2 of you's) treasure when complete! What a wonderful memory!

Mariposa 09-29-2015 04:22 PM

Great job Grandma! That quilt will hold special memories of the two of you "working" on it together. Sweet!

BETTY62 09-29-2015 07:06 PM

And what a wonderful memory it will be. I would save it as a special gift for her later in life. Like her 16th birthday or maybe her high school graduation.

Bree123 09-29-2015 09:06 PM

So happy to hear it's going well. I plan to work with my 2 1/2 year-old niece (and her almost 4 year old cousin, also my niece) to make a special receiving blanket quilt for her brother who's due in February. I'll have some pre-cut shapes & the girls do okay cutting fabric with pocket scissors. I plan to give them washable glue sticks & let them attach the bits of fabric to a solid background. I may have some extra scraps of PFD fabric that I can let them "paint" with shaving cream/InkTense. My sister is great at taking photos & videos and will document it all for my brother/sister-in-law and their new bundle of joy. I'll just do some super basic straight-line quilting (straight stitch raw edge applique/quilting in one). It won't be an heirloom creation, but it will be a fun first project for everyone since the girls keep begging me to teach them to quilt.

Be sure to take lots of pictures no matter where the quilt ends up so your granddaughter will have them as a memento of her first quilting project! I really wish my mom had taken pictures of the first stitching project I did as a 6-year old (it was an orange & green butterfly). I'm sure it would mean a lot to your DGD to have a record of her earliest work.