Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2016 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2016-fabric-moratorium-t273964.html)

PaperPrincess 01-01-2016 10:45 AM

2016 Fabric Moratorium

Welcome to the 2016 Fabric Moratorium.
We have general guidelines, but please just do whatever makes sense for you. Although we call it the "Fabric Moratorium" the main idea is to not add to our stash and hopefully reduce it!
Here are some general guidelines:
* No fabric purchases "just for your stash" from Jan 1 until U.S. Black Friday (11/25/16).
* When you start a new project, shop your stash first. If you don't have anything that will work, then feel free to make a purchase. Hopefully at least some of the fabric for every new project will come from your existing stash.
As the year progresses, post your updates here. We can support and encourage each other, post tips on how you use your stash, and any planned new projects where you shopped your stash!
Let us know about falling off the wagon, everyone enjoys a great excuse to purchase fabric.
Pictures are always wonderful!
As stated these are just guidelines, there are no Moratorium police! Just start using all that gorgeous fabric in your stash, after all, that's what you bought it for!

Sophie2 01-02-2016 05:33 AM

PaperPrincess, thanks for setting this up for us again this year. Maybe this will be the year I stick to it! I am getting better about shopping my stash first. Happy New Year!

johnette 01-02-2016 05:46 AM

I'm in. I just finished sorting and folding all my fabric. Ridiculous amount of fabric. Weeded out a large tote full of old double knit scraps that I've been going to use someday. Haven't touched it in 20 years, time for it to go. Going to weed out all of my counted cross stitch stuff, too. I lost my job, so I will have some time and need to sew from the stash. I've found my taste has changed over time and I have a lot of that "what was I thinking" fabric, but I determined to put it to use and make something pretty out of it. Thanks for starting this and the encouragement.

ctyankee 01-02-2016 05:50 AM

I've been doing this (on my own) for a couple of years ... but last year I fell off the fabric wagon! So I'm back on ... & I'm joining your support group. I AM A FABRICHOLIC!

Rhonda Lee 01-02-2016 06:11 AM

Yes I am joining in again. It has helped me tremendously the last couple of years. Thank you PaperPrincess!

ManiacQuilter2 01-02-2016 06:18 AM

Wish I could join but there always seems to be another fabric that I need to finish up a charity quilt. I also don't make New Year Resolution. I wish you ALL very good luck with using up your stash.

Krisb 01-02-2016 08:51 AM

I am back in, with a goal-- to have all of my fabric "in front" and on fabric boards by the end of 2016, without increasing the number of UFOs. I see a lot of scrap quilts in my future.

Evie 01-02-2016 09:28 AM

I really, really need to do this! And I will try, try, try!

Altairss 01-02-2016 09:31 AM

Oh you can still join us! If you need something and you don't have it then you Can buy it! The rules are flexible really its about using as much as you can from what you already got but we know sometimes buying is necessary and good for our mental health. We support either way and love to see pictures when someone falls off the wagon.

I am in again I cut my fabric purchases since joining by about 2/3 or better and that's huge for me. I am learning to be scrappy and make do with what I got and actually loving the results. So on to the wagon I go and I am starting by resuming organizing my fabric in totes and sorting it out so its easy to shop. Its amazing what I forgot I had.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7421067)
Wish I could join but there always seems to be another fabric that I need to finish up a charity quilt. I also don't make New Year Resolution. I wish you ALL very good luck with using up your stash.

gramquilter2 01-02-2016 09:34 AM

I "plan" on using my stash up and not purchase anything unless it is a request to make something I don't have in my pile. Have been off to a good start since August so hope I can keep it up.