Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Diagonal Joins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/diagonal-joins-t281576.html)

geevee 08-23-2016 01:58 PM

Diagonal Joins

I'm binding a wall hanging I made out of leftovers from a square patchwork duvet cover and I must say, trying to get good-looking diagonal joins on the binding strips about drove me out of my ever-loving gourd! Usually I just join straight edges and deal with the raised seam but this time I told myself we were going with the gold standard for this binding, and then I slowly and cursedly fell into the seam-ripping abyss.

What is it about this seam I just can't seem to master? One corner or the other is always off just enough to keep the two strips from lying straight and flat, even drawing a chalk line didn't help. The little ends wants to fray after so many unsews and then my nerves fray right along with them - is there a secret handshake club I must join to get the skinny? A ring I have to kiss? A favorite hairstyle that must be sacrificed? Help a quilty sister out, what's the secret to a nice and neat diagonal join?

Forever in your debt, ye who know much more than I...

Kassaundra 08-23-2016 02:07 PM

When I lay the fabric strips I overlap just a tiny bit and put my needle down and set the needle in the exact point of "V" and sew slowly so the needle comes out at the exact point of "V" on the opposite side.

katier825 08-23-2016 02:55 PM

Glue baste! When I prep my strips, I fold and press one end to a 45 angle (the same one on each). Then I glue baste it, press it, pin it to be sure it doesn't shift. My vision isn't the best, so I often draw a chalk line on the fold line so I can see it better. Then I sew it, gently tug it to release the glue, and after that I trim it to 1/4" seam. I press those seams open. I fold/press the binding in half and attach it to the quilt starting about 6-8" from the first folded end.

I basically finish the last join the same way. I unfold the first end, overlap it on top of the remaining strip, draw a line where the folded one ends. Then I measure over 2-1/2" (or whatever your starting width) overlap and draw a line. Once I double check it, then I cut and glue baste that last seam.

Tartan 08-23-2016 04:15 PM

I usually cross my strips with a little extra on each end. That lets me sew from V valley to valley for a nice join. I also have a piece of painters tape on the bed of my machine with a straight line drawn on with a sharpie. If I keep the little V valley on the line opposite from the needle, I can sew a straight join without marking.

geevee 08-23-2016 04:35 PM

These are wonderful suggestions, that's so much Kassaundra, Katie and Tartan, I'm going to try them and one day hopefully be proud of those joins. :)

dunster 08-23-2016 04:58 PM

I just eyeball it and sew away. Any discontinuity seems to disappear after the binding is sewn down.

Peckish 08-23-2016 06:30 PM

Dunster get on with your bad self. I love how you walk on the wild side, girl! :D

bernamom 08-23-2016 06:36 PM

I've never been able to do it either. I gave up trying and just do them straight. I'll have to try some of the suggestions.

quiltingshorttimer 08-23-2016 06:38 PM

I overlap the squared ends and sew from V to V--the key to not having to mark it is that you look where you are going not right at the needle--kind of like driving!

quiltsRfun 08-23-2016 06:45 PM

I'm with you, Dunster. If the edges are off a bit they're enclosed in the binding and it will be my secret.