Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New use for the backscratcher (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-use-backscratcher-t281847.html)

Suz 09-01-2016 05:37 AM

New use for the backscratcher

A youngster I am not and do not bend as easily as I once could. I have trouble reaching to the back of my dryer as it has a large drum. I now employ the backscratcher to reach to the rear to pull items forward. Still have to bend but no longer need to crawl into the dryer to retreive that last item. -- Works for me!

donnajean 09-01-2016 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Suz (Post 7642156)
A youngster I am not and do not bend as easily as I once could. I have trouble reaching to the back of my dryer as it has a large drum. I now employ the backscratcher to reach to the rear to pull items forward. Still have to bend but no longer need to crawl into the dryer to retreive that last item. -- Works for me!

Also works for fetching items dropped behind the washer or dryer.

annievee 09-01-2016 06:05 AM

My older sis uses it to apply pain creams to her back that she can not reach--she lives by herself and has become inventive on how to repurpose things.

ManiacQuilter2 09-01-2016 06:15 AM

What a clever idea!

trolleystation 09-01-2016 06:15 AM

It is great for getting things from high cupboard shelves.

QuiltnNan 09-01-2016 07:02 AM

thanks for the tip

dunster 09-01-2016 07:18 AM

I've been wondering - do they make those drums deeper than they used to? I'm not comparing to when I was younger and slimmer and more bendable. I had to get a new washer/dryer set recently because I moved and the new house was not wired for my electric dryer. I'm having much more trouble reaching into the new set than into the old ones, and I haven't' changed that much in such a short time (I hope).

Chasing Hawk 09-01-2016 07:47 AM

Great idea about the dryer use. My front loaders are stacked and at times a sock or two decides they want to stay way in the back. Now I have a weapon to get those "squatters" out of my dryer..lol

francie yuhas 09-01-2016 08:00 AM

Medical supply places have long handled " grabbers". Great for getting stuff from back in the corner when the old back won't bend..

susie-susie-susie 09-01-2016 08:29 AM

I use a chop-stick to reach the clothes in my washer and the ones who insist on hiding in my dryer. I recently got a new washer and what a surprise. No knob for water level--it adds water according to the weight of the clothes. There are no "arms" on the agitator just a center post. The machine won't add water unless the lid is closed. So many changes. My old washer had a super big drum and now there is only two of us, so I needed small. Unfortunately small didn't mean shallow and I still can't reach. It's not fun being short, and being old makes it harder. lol
Sue