Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oliso iron dead, what to do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oliso-iron-dead-what-do-t291673.html)

Battle Axe 10-05-2017 01:22 PM

Oliso iron dead, what to do?

My beautiful yellow Oliso iron will not heat up at all. So I took it down to my repair man at the hardware store. He says it is the element and called the company to try to buy a new one. They were miffed that he had taken it apart. And they wanted to talk to me.

So I called and they said that for $69.00 (to be paid in advance) they would take a look at it and then fix it and then guarantee it for a year.

Has anyone else dealt with these folks? My gut says to just buy another iron. The problem stems from the fact that I am used to this pop up iron and leave it in the down position, as it separates itself from the ironing surface. Everything else on the iron works, just no heat.

I have two other irons that are not pop up and I am afraid that I will leave them down on the board and start a fire. I always used distilled water, but last week it began smelling hot and spitting.

Maybe I will win one on MSQC golden scratch off tickets!!!

Marcia

Weezy Rider 10-05-2017 01:44 PM

I have and with pretty much the same result. The dial that selected the heat was off. It wouldn't go all the way to high which made me wonder how much else could be off.

The customer rep was really insistent that I send it back. I sent it back once and got another iron with the same problem. Notified customer service, told to send it back again. Then it started to not always shut off after so many minutes. Said to heck with it, used it on a surge protector that had an on/off switch until I could find another iron. I bought a Reliable and gave the Oliso to a friend who always unplugs everything when she's through with it.

I've still got all the service "help" in a file.

Peckish 10-05-2017 01:48 PM

Don't you just love engineered obsolescence? My refrigerator stopped cooling. We called a repairman. He said it would cost $700-$800 to fix it. At that price, I might as well go out and buy a new one!!

Your fear about leaving your non-Oliso irons down on the board is a valid one. I just posted on another thread about how I used an Oliso on a retreat for 4 days and when I got home, I found myself leaving my iron face down on the board.

Maybe you should just bite the bullet and buy a new Oliso. :(

Quilt30 10-05-2017 02:43 PM

Don't bite bullets. Bite the Oliso company. I had 6 which were replaced each time they malfunctioned. Keep badgering them until they make it good. We tend to just give up. Let us not give up until these irons are corrected. And don't pay to have them fixed. They should make good on their product.

Battle Axe 10-05-2017 03:09 PM

I've had this one for 18 months which is over the one year mark. With the shoulder problems I have, I think I'll just have to buy another one. In the long run I will not be without and have the kind that I am used to.

jokir44 10-05-2017 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe (Post 7920052)
My beautiful yellow Oliso iron will not heat up at all.

always used distilled water, but last week it began smelling hot and spitting.

Maybe I will win one on MSQC golden scratch off tickets!!!

Marcia

The website says NOT to use distilled water unless you have very hard water over 12 whatever that means. (I emailed my water dept. and found mine is 5.) They tell you if you must use the distilled to do 1/2 and 1/2. It's worth a read.

Joset 10-06-2017 04:28 AM

go buy another one. it isn't worth the hassle.

Weezy Rider 10-06-2017 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 7920067)
Don't you just love engineered obsolescence? My refrigerator stopped cooling. We called a repairman. He said it would cost $700-$800 to fix it. At that price, I might as well go out and buy a new one!!

Your fear about leaving your non-Oliso irons down on the board is a valid one. I just posted on another thread about how I used an Oliso on a retreat for 4 days and when I got home, I found myself leaving my iron face down on the board.

I never got used to keeping the Oliso horizontal on the board. Always set it on end until I remembered.

Dolphyngyrl 10-06-2017 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 7920067)

This is why it shut that feature off didn't want to get too used to that feature and start fires

Kitsie 10-06-2017 07:38 AM

Or other brand of iron! With the lousy customer service that has been noted here, why buy another?