Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Does anyone use purchased quilter's furniture? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/does-anyone-use-purchased-quilters-furniture-t293882.html)

qltldy10 01-06-2018 04:09 PM

Does anyone use purchased quilter's furniture?

Not sure if we can use brand names...but... I have fallen in love with sewing furniture in a catalog. If I sell my blood, my soul, and an organ or two I can get a piece (maybe two?) of dedicated furniture for my machines and cutting. I wonder if I am being seduced by beautiful matchy matchy sewing rooms. Does anyone use professionally made sewing furniture?

Teen 01-06-2018 05:42 PM

I don't currently but I am moving and have been looking at this furniture for my future sewing room. I'll have a dedicated sewing room (Currently Room is a combo office/sewing room) so I want to set it up right from the get-go. Some of that stuff is gorgeous but I've seen some beautiful layouts using IKEA and Lowes's stuff too. I haven't decided. I may have it built-in to my specs....will decide when construction is done. But it is gorgeous!

pocoellie 01-06-2018 05:54 PM

I refuse to spend tons of money for "specialized" things, including furniture. I use a office desk for my sewing desk, I have 7 pattern cabinets, 1 of the tall Butterick cabinets, and 6 of the shorter ones, they're back to back, for fabric storage and a 2 piece counter top for quite a large cutting table. The 6 shorter ones were free and $50 for the other one. I'm not much of a "matchy-matchy" person, when it comes to furniture or sewing rooms.

rryder 01-06-2018 07:12 PM

No, I’m vertically challenged and most of the quilting furniture that I’ve seen is too high (in both senses of the word) for me. My studio furniture doesn’t match and a lot of it is stuff I’ve either cobbled together myself, or repurposed, but it all is the right height for me to be able to sew and fmq comfortably for long stretches at a time and was within my budget.

Is there some way you could see the pieces in person to get a feel for whether they would work for you before committing to buy?

Rob

cashs_mom 01-06-2018 07:24 PM

No, I use long banquet style tables purchased from a used office furniture outlet for a song and an office chair. I have a lot of machines and move things around so this works best for me.

My sewing room is a very workman like room without a lot of ambience. I like it that way.

IrishNY 01-06-2018 07:34 PM

I have a sewing table that allows me to drop my machine into it and has an insert so my sewing surface is level across the table top. I've always wanted a professional sewing table but was put off by the prices. I found mine on Craigslist in perfect condition for $400. I love it and wish I hadn't waited so long. I'd watch CL - they aren't listed a lot but you might get lucky. Also, it would help if you're willing to travel a few hours to pick up, so you can watch CL across several geographic areas.

OhCanada 01-06-2018 07:40 PM

I purchased a sewing table from a Canadian company which I really like. It has a hydralic lift, and some extensions which are helpful to support your quilt as it grows. It all collapses to a small footprint and is on castors. They also make cutting tables, if I had a larger sewing room I’d probably get that as well.

Dolphyngyrl 01-06-2018 08:29 PM

I dream of owning horn or koala whichever comes first lol. No fund for another 5 years as I just bought a longarm

Battle Axe 01-07-2018 03:45 AM

Somewhere on this board there was a px of an ironing board made from a changing table. So the first changing table I found at a garage sale i brought home. It doubles as a hidie-hole for all my jelly rolls and charm packs. Will post what it looks like later today.

kuntryquilter 01-07-2018 04:01 AM

I hope I don't sound like a snob, but all of the furniture in my sewing room is purchased. I have a Koala machine cabinet with the pneumatic lift. It holds 2 machines & 2 Koala adjustable chairs. I also have a Martelli cutting table, it is the best purchase I ever made.