Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use purchased quilter's furniture?

Does anyone use purchased quilter's furniture?

Not sure if we can use brand names...but... I have fallen in love with sewing furniture in a catalog. If I sell my blood, my soul, and an organ or two I can get a piece (maybe two?) of dedicated furniture for my machines and cutting. I wonder if I am being seduced by beautiful matchy matchy sewing rooms. Does anyone use professionally made sewing furniture?

I don't currently but I am moving and have been looking at this furniture for my future sewing room. I'll have a dedicated sewing room (Currently Room is a combo office/sewing room) so I want to set it up right from the get-go. Some of that stuff is gorgeous but I've seen some beautiful layouts using IKEA and Lowes's stuff too. I haven't decided. I may have it built-in to my specs....will decide when construction is done. But it is gorgeous!
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I refuse to spend tons of money for "specialized" things, including furniture. I use a office desk for my sewing desk, I have 7 pattern cabinets, 1 of the tall Butterick cabinets, and 6 of the shorter ones, they're back to back, for fabric storage and a 2 piece counter top for quite a large cutting table. The 6 shorter ones were free and $50 for the other one. I'm not much of a "matchy-matchy" person, when it comes to furniture or sewing rooms.

No, I’m vertically challenged and most of the quilting furniture that I’ve seen is too high (in both senses of the word) for me. My studio furniture doesn’t match and a lot of it is stuff I’ve either cobbled together myself, or repurposed, but it all is the right height for me to be able to sew and fmq comfortably for long stretches at a time and was within my budget.

Is there some way you could see the pieces in person to get a feel for whether they would work for you before committing to buy?

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

No, I use long banquet style tables purchased from a used office furniture outlet for a song and an office chair. I have a lot of machines and move things around so this works best for me.

My sewing room is a very workman like room without a lot of ambience. I like it that way.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I have a sewing table that allows me to drop my machine into it and has an insert so my sewing surface is level across the table top. I've always wanted a professional sewing table but was put off by the prices. I found mine on Craigslist in perfect condition for $400. I love it and wish I hadn't waited so long. I'd watch CL - they aren't listed a lot but you might get lucky. Also, it would help if you're willing to travel a few hours to pick up, so you can watch CL across several geographic areas.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I purchased a sewing table from a Canadian company which I really like. It has a hydralic lift, and some extensions which are helpful to support your quilt as it grows. It all collapses to a small footprint and is on castors. They also make cutting tables, if I had a larger sewing room I’d probably get that as well.
    Valerie

I dream of owning horn or koala whichever comes first lol. No fund for another 5 years as I just bought a longarm
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    Somewhere on this board there was a px of an ironing board made from a changing table. So the first changing table I found at a garage sale i brought home. It doubles as a hidie-hole for all my jelly rolls and charm packs. Will post what it looks like later today.

Blog Entries
    I hope I don't sound like a snob, but all of the furniture in my sewing room is purchased. I have a Koala machine cabinet with the pneumatic lift. It holds 2 machines & 2 Koala adjustable chairs. I also have a Martelli cutting table, it is the best purchase I ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by kuntryquilter View Post
    I hope I don't sound like a snob, but all of the furniture in my sewing room is purchased. I have a Koala machine cabinet with the pneumatic lift. It holds 2 machines & 2 Koala adjustable chairs. I also have a Martelli cutting table, it is the best purchase I ever made.
    I also have a Koala sewing table with a pneumatic lift. Mine is sort of specialized since it's taller than the "norm" height. I am tall and long waisted so standing over any table to cut is dreadful after a short period. Also, I am more ergonomically positioned when I sit to sew (higher adjustable chair, too). The height is the only reason I got the table but I Love it. The rest of the furniture was intentionally bought at IKEA and it's fabulous, too. I consider it "dedicated" because it was intentional. I bought a workbench at Harbor Freight and made an ironing board.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-11-2018 at 03:42 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Enjoy your day,
    Jan In FL (now in Gig Harbor, WA)

A fat quarter is not a body part!

Blog Entries
    I have a an old office desk for a sewing table, an old ping pong table for cutting and design wall, an old changing table for patterns and fat quarter storage, an old metal filing cabinet for storage using the magnetic sides for hanging supplies, an old China cabinet for fabric storage, an old hutch for storing jelly rolls, charm packs, and threads, an old lady Susan for a rotating cutting mat, an old bar turned backwards for storing Art Bin boxes for various projects, an old armoire for storing batting and quilt tops, and an old couch for storing baskets filled with fabrics. The only furniture I have that is being used as it's original purpose is a bookcase used to store, you guessed it, books! Going to remodel my sewing space this spring. Will be getting rid of the desk (too high for me) and getting NEW countertop to hang from the wall at the correct height for me for a sewing table.

I have a mixture of furnishings in my sewing room. My Bernina sits in a Horn cabinet, but my cutting table is a solid core door resting (not attached) on two short bookcases. It is the perfect height for me. I have bookcases and garage shelving that hold fabric, carts from Ikea, storage units from Walmart. Whatever works...

I posted this back in May.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-...e-t288380.html

I love mine. Best purchase ever. The quality is excellent. I bought another one after I posted and sold it new in box for $850. I bought the Arrow sewing chair and a couple of inserts for the table to fit my machines.

The link of course doesn't work now but here is what I got for $400.

The price was $400 and free shipping. This one: https://www.arrowcabinets.com/shop/k...-joey-cabinet/ No Joey in stock to fit under it so the cabinets were marked down to get them out of the warehouse. I found several online dealers that had the Joey that fit but I don't need it.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 01-07-2018 at 07:22 AM.
    deliberately under-educated

I outfitted my sewing room with a little imagination and IKEA purchases.

Such a hard question. There is likely a different or variation of different from everyone responding to this question. A few years back I bought a Bernina 525 and a Koala sewing cabinet from Craig's List. It was a very good deal and I don't regret it. But there are aspects of the arrangement I would change, starting with the height. It's too low. Koala offers different heights you choose when buying new but I didn't have that chance. Plus I would not have paid the full price for a new Koala cabiner. They are just out of my price range. I wish you well in making this decision. May the Force be with you.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    No, Iím vertically challenged and most of the quilting furniture that Iíve seen is too high (in both senses of the word) for me. My studio furniture doesnít match and a lot of it is stuff Iíve either cobbled together myself, or repurposed, but it all is the right height for me to be able to sew and fmq comfortably for long stretches at a time and was within my budget.

Is there some way you could see the pieces in person to get a feel for whether they would work for you before committing to buy?

Rob
    These pieces are tailored to a person's height/desires, so short or tall isn't a problem. I have not gotten close enough to doing this to look for where to see them- I just wondered if people are happy with high end sewing furniture.

Thanks for all of your responses- I wasn't really looking for 'should I or shouldn't I?' as much as 'if you did it are you happy?'. So far the responses to that question are positive!

I may go buy a lottery ticket, but I will watch CL.

Sort of a crappy sewing room but I have purchased a Martelli adjustable cutting table. Very helpful for the back!
    Baby steps. My theory is I am not going anywhere, Lord willing, and have time to figure what will work... and our needs constantly change. Thought I had it all figured out. Then I purchased the embroidery module for my machine so another change for me......

I hope I don't sound like a snob, but all of the furniture in my sewing room is purchased.
    No different then furnishing the rooms in your house with nice furniture. Why should a sewing room be all make do and hodge podge? I have the same pride in my sewing room as I do the rest of the rooms in my home. If my sewing room is junky and raggedity then I feel like I don't value what that room means to me.
    deliberately under-educated

Blog Entries
    I have a Horn cabinet for one of my sewing machines. It's one of their low end units, but it allows my machine to sit flush with the top of the cabinet. It was designed for this purpose so works really well. I did get it at a thrift store, so keep checking CL. This is the only 'official' piece of manufactured furniture specific to sewing use, however, I have a handy husband who has made purpose built items and adapted other pieces of furniture for me. Having something specifically made or adapted for a purpose does make the whole process easier so more fun!!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I was fortunate enough to find a cabinet with pneumatic lift in the configuration I wanted on CL for $25. It was about a 40 min. drive but well worth my time! Not a name brand and not particularly high quality but good nonetheless. I've spent the last 25 years sewing on a $10 little pressboard table w/drawers with no issues but I wanted the machine flush with the top so I could try MQ'ing. Haven't taken that plunge yet but I'm getting there!

About 10 years ago, at a quilt show I bought a Horn work table which is 36 in high and has a place for my machine and a manual lift. I love it because I can put the sides up or leave them down...when I'm standing and cutting for long periods, my back doesn't hurt. the chair which is drafting height was included...I think I paid around $1600 at the time and it was wonderful.
    Then I got the big Bernina with the large harp and the old lift in the table really didn't work with this machine. Also, I was tired of scooting up on a drafting chair. So I looked around for a basic sewing table with an electric lift and I wanted another Horn.The one I settled on has an electric lift so I can position the machine perfectly and it's around 32 inches tall....now I have the best of all worlds with both pieces. I can sit low and piece or I can move the machine over to the old table and spread the quilt out to quilt it. I'm happy that I made the investment in myself. And all the rest of the furniture in my sewing room is Ikea. And while I love what they have to offer, I really like having my machine recessed and even with the table top.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I posted this back in May.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-...e-t288380.html

I love mine. Best purchase ever. The quality is excellent. I bought another one after I posted and sold it new in box for $850. I bought the Arrow sewing chair and a couple of inserts for the table to fit my machines.

The link of course doesn't work now but here is what I got for $400.

The price was $400 and free shipping. This one: https://www.arrowcabinets.com/shop/k...-joey-cabinet/ No Joey in stock to fit under it so the cabinets were marked down to get them out of the warehouse. I found several online dealers that had the Joey that fit but I don't need it.
    Saw your post in May and bought one also but am just now getting ready to put together since my husband had just had major back surgery. Have to get room organised first as it's been the dump room for years. Have to thank you for posting the link for it.

Blog Entries
    Just as One by One and Three Dog Night, I purchased an Arrow cabinet in May when they offered such a great deal. They only sold about a dozen at that price. I don’t know how I managed without it. I have also purchased two of the Alex IKEA storage cabinets. I just refinished an Ethan Alan desk for my sewing studio that I was going to cut a hole in for another machine but it turned out so beautiful I don’t want to cut into it. : /
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast