Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any Canadians here that recently purchased Bailey's Home Quilter? >

Any Canadians here that recently purchased Bailey's Home Quilter?

Any Canadians here that recently purchased Bailey's Home Quilter?

Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 PM

Default Any Canadians here that recently purchased Bailey's Home Quilter?

Hello friends,
I've been looking at the Bailey's Home quilter, probably the 15". I have read info on this board previously but I'm wondering if the Canadians could indulge me here. I realize the weight of the machine is where the cost of shipping is & would estimate somewhere around $100+. Was there any problems with shipping? did you have to pay brokerage fees? was there HST tacked onto anything?
Or any other info you think I might be interested in.
And anyone else that jumps in with info is always appreciated. I have read here that a lot of quilters like this machine. I've been trying to gather data on various machines as I already have a frame.
Thanks everyone.
Maureen
Old 11-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

I've read some about the Bailey's.

Without a local dealer, I'd be hesitant.
Yes, you could teach yourself how to operate it and FMQ.
However, like anything mechanical/electrical, my thoughts go to ... who is going to service it if I have problems?

Bringing it into the country, whether shipped, or you go to pick it up in the USA, there's a lot of unknowns that would only be certainties after you had it in your hands.

Be sure that any suggestions/advice you receive, that you have it validated thru the proper channels, so you do not have any big surprises later.

Good Luck!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:10 PM
amh

Hi Maureen:

I own a Bailey's 15 inch, and although I have only quilted about 10 quilts on it, all free motion quilting, I do like it. The better I get with FMQ the more I like it. I purchased mine in Kindersley SK. http://www.veronicasewingsupplies.com/

I'm sure that Veronica could answer your questions, and anything I can help you with I will.

I have not had to have it sent in for repairs, but I am one who doesn't usually have to send her machines in for repairs. I'm pretty good about cleaning them and oiling them very regularly (not much oil, but often). This is not a fancy machine. It is the basics, which is what I was looking for when I purchased it.

amh
Old 11-30-2012, 05:17 PM

Hello fellow Canuck! I purchased the Bailey 17" a little over a month ago BUT I live in the US so I did not have to deal with shipping. That being said your best bet is to talk to Chuck who owns the place. He is a wealth of information. There is no such thing as dealer for Bailey. This is a sturdy machine modeled after Singer15. It is a mechanical machine so not much to go wrong. Send me a pm if you would like and we can either chat over e-mail or phone. If you are close to upstate NY I would simply drive and get it. I don't think customs are going to care much about a sewing machine. Unpack it from the box so they see what it is. Chuck also sells display/classroom models for a discounted price. They have very few hours on them. If you buy what is technically a second hand machine customs really will not care. Either way give them a call and ask (customs and chuck). Good luck!
Old 12-02-2012, 02:02 PM

Thank you all. This is not something I'll get this year, but heck next year is just around the corner! LOL
But seriously, I like to have as much data as I can especially with something that is not a "small" purchase.
Maureen