Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Finding that I'm vintage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/finding-im-vintage-t296220.html)

cindyb 04-14-2018 03:24 PM

Finding that I'm vintage

Our Guild will be having a Quilt Show in the fall. My Gkids have been sewing for a couple years now (ages 9 and 10). They want to make things to sell and I have made some suggestions of easier things. One was to make a little quit to put over a buggy - then 'What's a Buggy?' Next I suggested making coasters and bowls out of clothes lines - then 'What's a clothes line'. Really?

yolajean 04-14-2018 03:27 PM

I remember, probably, 15 years ago, I told my GD that we didn't have soda in cans when I was a kid. The look on her face was priceless. "You mean pop didn't come in a can?"

cashs_mom 04-14-2018 04:36 PM

We have that whenever my husband mentions some old TV show at the office and we laugh and our employees who are young have no clue what we are talking about.

SillySusan 04-14-2018 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by cindyb (Post 8040719)
Our Guild will be having a Quilt Show in the fall. My Gkids have been sewing for a couple years now (ages 9 and 10). They want to make things to sell and I have made some suggestions of easier things. One was to make a little quit to put over a buggy - then 'What's a Buggy?' Next I suggested making coasters and bowls out of clothes lines - then 'What's a clothes line'. Really?

Nancy Z. just aired a 2-part show on making clothes line bowls and totes. And a very young girl was the guest teacher! We better find all our old stuff packed in the attic. It's coming back and they are calling it "new" and "stylish".

LilaKay 04-15-2018 01:43 AM

My granddaughter is decorating her kitchen with "antique" license plates...she found one from 1996 and was thrilled:(

luvstoquilt 04-15-2018 04:11 AM

I told my grandson to look it up in the phone book. He seriously asked, "What is a phonebook?"

sewbizgirl 04-15-2018 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by LilaKay (Post 8040921)
My granddaughter is decorating her kitchen with "antique" license plates...she found one from 1996 and was thrilled:(

:D This made me laugh out loud!

maviskw 04-15-2018 05:33 AM

I told my sixteen year old granddaughter that when we were at Morning Glory Pool in Yellowstone in 1953, it was full of coins, cigarette butts and flashbulbs. She asked, "What's a flashbulb?"

mandyrose 04-15-2018 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb (Post 8040719)

omg! this is so funny to read this today, my clothes line after 17 years fell apart last summer went to lowes the other day and asked a young girl where i could find the clothes lines and i knew the second the words where out of my mouth and the look on her face i knew she had no clue what a clothes line was lol i quickly asked where the rope is, well i found it but it's not the same it's braided nylon thinki'll shop around and hope i can find a good ole cotton rope........not holding my breath tho.

KwiltyKahy 04-15-2018 06:38 AM

I was talking to a young customer one day and mentioned folding something like a map. He had no idea what a gas station type map was.
And I took a picture of my granddaughter when she was about 3 (she's 15 now). She came running over to look at the picture I had just taken on the back of the camera. She couldn't understand why she couldn't see it immediately.