Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I've gotten this far.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ive-gotten-far-t298111.html)

Watson 07-08-2018 06:42 AM

I've gotten this far....

1 Attachment(s)
...with this collage, but I can't seem to find a lot of information about what to do now. I've read a lot of "Quilt as desired." and "Meander to catch in edges" and "Place tulle over and quilt down." and "Never use tulle." and that's about it.

So, I'm at a bit of a standstill. Maybe I'll come around to a meander, but so far I can't see it.

Any ideas?

Watson

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597420[/ATTACH]

Doggramma 07-08-2018 06:51 AM

It's a gorgeous job! I can't think of anything other than outlining around the shapes with clear thread. I would be afraid to do anything with it if it were mine-I'd be afraid to ruin it. David Taylor does pictoral applique. He does small stippling all over his pieces. Maybe you could check out his work.

bearisgray 07-08-2018 06:55 AM

He (?) is awesome. Great choices of fabrics.

IMO - it does not need any quilting to emphasize anything because your design and fabric choices are so good.

If anything, how about a bit of "thread painting" using the way the hair naturally goes/grows as your guide.

If you feel compelled to do any stitching on the background, use vertical stitching to emphasize the board effect.

Doggramma 07-08-2018 06:58 AM

I just checked David's site. It's really hard to tell how his things are quilted unfortunately. His older works had small stippling all over them (he brought them to a class I took). It looks like his more recent things are quilted with more flowing thread movement. I'm sure whatever you end up doing will look wonderful.

Jordan 07-08-2018 07:41 AM

Amazing! Beautifully done.

sash 07-08-2018 07:50 AM

Wow, a beautiful work and very happy looking doggie. Sorry; I am no help as to the quilting.

bailey 07-08-2018 07:51 AM

Wow, beautiful job. Your fabric choices could not be better. I don't think you could do anything to take away from this piece. Anything you decide will be perfect!

diamondee 07-08-2018 08:00 AM

That sounds perfect bearisgray! I could see it that way. Love the way the quilt shows a personality of the dog. Great job!

Originally Posted by bearisgray8090038
He (?) is awesome. Great choices of fabrics.

IMO - it does not need any quilting to emphasize anything because your design and fabric choices are so good.

If anything, how about a bit of "thread painting" using the way the hair naturally goes/grows as your guide.

If you feel compelled to do any stitching on the background, use vertical stitching to emphasize the board effect.

cashs_mom 07-08-2018 08:06 AM

That is absolutely beautiful, Watson. You mastered the expression and especially the eyes, which can be very hard.

When I took a collage quilt class, I got to see the quilts up close. Laura Heine tends to quilt hers in straight lines unevenly spaced with very fine thread. It seems to quilt them without disturbing the design. I've also seen the very fine tulle used. If you get the fine bridal tulle type, its barely visible.

TheMerkleFamily 07-08-2018 08:58 AM

I am in awe of your creativity, design & composition - and agree with the other ladies that the quilting should simply enhance your already gorgeous collage. I'm certain whatever you choose to do it will be a fabulous finish! Can't wait to see what you do :)

Christine