Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My late mother-in-laws tip (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-late-mother-laws-tip-t305592.html)

lindaschipper 07-04-2019 04:24 AM

My late mother-in-laws tip

I've just finished reading yesterdays post concerning square quilts vs rectangle quilts. Dunster said she preferred square quilts because you don't have to figure out which way they go on a bed. My late mother-in-law gave me a tip years ago about putting a small safety pin on the bottom edge (underneath side) of the quilt or bedspread. When you are remaking a bed, find this safety pin and it will always tell you that this is the bottom edge. I've even used this same tip for fitted sheets. Never a problem in making the beds, and you don't have to remove the safety pins before doing laundry. Haven't had one come out yet.
Thought this tip might come in handy for someone.

Fabric Galore 07-04-2019 04:38 AM

I love this idea. You mother-in-law was a very smart lady. I have a sampler quilt that I always have to count the number of rows to tell which is the top and bottom. I am going to go put a safety pin on it now while I am thinking of it.

Onebyone 07-04-2019 05:33 AM

That's a lot of extra brain work to figure out side to side top or bottom for a quilt. If I can't tell then it makes no difference to me. I remember my grandmother used to mark the fitted sheets with a diaper pin in one corner. She liked the big pin, much faster to find. LOL

juliasb 07-04-2019 05:37 AM

It is these little simple things that can make a difference in making a task a bit easier. Thanks so much. I know what I will be doing from now on.

toverly 07-04-2019 05:40 AM

Practical solutions are the best. Thanks for the tip.

NikkiLu 07-04-2019 05:40 AM

Where's the LIKE button on here!!!

nativetexan 07-04-2019 06:13 AM

i wish i'd done that with my fitted sheet! took me six tries to get it to fit!!!!!!

osewme 07-04-2019 06:46 AM

Great tip! I have such a problem with my fitted sheets in figuring out the top & sides. I have never put one on yet that I did right the first time. And with these new, thick, heavy mattresses these days the less I have to fiddle with the sheets the better. :) I'm off to put pins on my sheets!

QuiltnNan 07-04-2019 07:15 AM

good tip... thanks

zozee 07-04-2019 07:21 AM

For non-directional quilts, does it make a difference? For directional quilts, it's obvious which end goes at the head of the bed. Or am I missing something? I would think that putting non-directional quilts on the same way every time (using the pin method) would cause uneven wear, with the top end always being tugged on during the night.

For fitted sheets, I think I'm going to either stitch "top" or "side" or use a Sharpie. I tell myself I will do that every time I toss it on wrong and get frustrated.