Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   new to me phone scam (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-me-phone-scam-t307790.html)

dunster 11-02-2019 10:03 AM

new to me phone scam

I am familiar with most scams, but this one is new to me and perhaps to some others out there. I received a robocall, a lady's voice saying that my Amazon account had been used to purchase an iPhone, using a device that was not my regular device. I was given a phone number to call. I knew immediately that it was a scam and did not call that phone number. I'm sure if I had called they would have tried to get me to give them information that would let them into my account. Beware - this call actually sounded legitimate, but it definitely wasn't.

leaha 11-02-2019 10:39 AM

thanks for the heads up!

grannie cheechee 11-02-2019 10:51 AM

​They sure can find ways to keep us on our toes

lberna 11-02-2019 11:00 AM

I don’t answer any phone calls from people not in my contact list. If it is important, they can leave a voicemail.

Battle Axe 11-02-2019 12:01 PM

I don't answer those calls either. My new phone S-10 has a "Potential Spam" feature. If it says that you can forget it. Of course it is Medicare enrollment season and that is like open season on us oldsters.

This past week I had an Amish friend come and wash all my windows. She said that I had done so many favors for her that she would not take pay for the work. So I made a note when she said she had found this new coffee and she had become an coffee devotee. I have never had a cup of coffee, my drink is much worse: Dr. Pepper. So I got on line and found this Mountain Cabin coffee and ordered $60.00 worth. Immediately I got a phone call and an email asking if I still had that credit card in my possession. I have used it repeatedly to buy fabric, but never coffee. I've never started drinking that because it was supposed to be bad for you, then good for you and so I associated that with growing up. Besides that it is expensive. The Amish lady got a big kick out of my coffee order being watched by the credit card company.

dunster 11-02-2019 12:20 PM

Battle Axe, my drink of choice is also Dr Pepper. Or Dr Thunder, Walmart's version, which is identical but cheaper. Unfortunately I think it is as bad for me as coffee would be, maybe worse.

Jingle 11-02-2019 01:20 PM

I love two cups of coffee in the mornings. I just buy it at the store. I don't drink any kind of soda/pop.

I don't care if it is good or bad for me.

sandy l 11-03-2019 04:13 AM

Yeah, we got one of those other day too. Seems like we just figure out the scam, ignore it, and they come up with a new one.

luvstoquilt 11-03-2019 04:36 AM

I am with you Jingle. I can’t wait to get downstairs in the morning for my coffee! I used to drink seltzer but have even quit that. It is 2 cups of coffee in the morning and water all day. Sometimes I have a hot tea in the afternoon.

I don’t answer my phone unless it is someone I know. I will call back if I get a message. I have noticed lately the scammers are leaving messages basically as an annoyance. If you Google the number many times it describes the scam. What will they think of Nextel? My late mother was convinced she had won a lottery and she lost a lot of money. She was in her 90’s. There is a world full of uncaring people for sure.

Snooze2978 11-03-2019 04:53 AM

I only drink 1 cup of coffee a day or I get more tremors than usual in my hands. Sodas are out for me as they actually put me to sleep instead of give me the jeeters. As for credit card companies calling you when you order something online that isn't a usual product, I'm glad they keep an eye for us. I got a call when someone out in CA (I'm in IA) tried charging $5Gs for stocks to my card. On another card someone tried to order $1,800 worth of makeup at Sephora on it. Never use that card for Sephora and if I needed that much make-up its time to pack it in and give up.