Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many quilts do you keep? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-quilts-do-you-keep-t312741.html)

Sheri.a 10-09-2020 11:38 AM

How many quilts do you keep?

I have quilted for almost 10 years, but until I retired I only made one or two a year. When I retired 2 years ago, it became 4 or 5 a year. Most of the quilts were gifted to family. During the pandemic I've made a LOT of quilts (5 completed, 5 pieced) and I feel funny keeping so many. Some go to charity, but not most. I've thought about gifting to more extended family, but I put too much into them for them to become a dog bed or not wanted. So, I'm curious how many quilts you have kept for yourself over the years. Thanks in advance!

bearisgray 10-09-2020 11:52 AM

I have kept three - of the three, one of them that I had given to my Mom and reclaimed it after she died.

parasol 10-09-2020 12:01 PM

Wow; I was so happy to see this thread as I am (literally) in the process of evaluating (keep or donate) my (too many) quilts. Now some of the quilts were purchased (but love them anyway) and some my own handwork, but don't fit my bed and don't know what to do with them. After all the hours and love that put into making them I am conflicted about how to reach a decision.

tallchick 10-09-2020 12:12 PM

I currently have 6, but have made many many more. I keep them till I find a perfect home for them, this weekend I will be putting a label on one of them and sending it to its new home, that will bring me down to 5. I don’t feel bad about keeping any of them, I rarely make one with a specific person in mind. I make what I like and at some point a quilt worthy person comes along and I just seem to have a perfect quilt for that person, serendipitous! Just like the quilt that’s going to it’s new home, the young lady loves yellow and I have the perfect quilt that fits not just her favorite color, but her style and her boldness.

bearisgray 10-09-2020 12:50 PM

I love to hear about quilts finding a perfect "forever home" -

I know that I get attached to the quilts that I make - and I do want them to end up "in a good home."

SusieQOH 10-09-2020 01:36 PM

I don't give many quilts away except to my kids, siblings etc, and people who are really special.
I would like to eventually make some to donate to good causes but my family comes first.

GingerK 10-09-2020 02:10 PM

Too many!! But it is nice to have a bit of a stockpile, just in case the perfect time for a gifted quilt comes up.

sewingpup 10-09-2020 03:35 PM

ummm.....I think I have made between 70-80 quilts.....I think there is about 15 in the house somewhere.....I have given them away to family and friends and for baby showers....I just make them and put them up in the attic except for the ones I start out making for someone....as a need comes up, I give them...some have gone as donation quilts, some as replacement quilts for the earlier ones that just plain and simple wore out. They will find a home when the time is right. All my big quilts are meant to be used.....except for one Judy N. that I made and had quilted by someone else....that is hanging on a wall. Once I gift a quilt...it is theirs to do as they wish....I let them go....However, I do ask the recipients if the want a quilt and mostly let them pick the one they want. I really don't like making a specific pattern that someone requests and have never done that....I may consult with them before making a quilt and ask about colors or patterns.

Jingle 10-09-2020 03:54 PM

I have 6 or 7 for our bed and another to be finished. I have maybe a dozen or more and a few kids quilts. I keep on hand, in case someone comes along I think might like or want one.

I make lots each year to donate to foster kids in my county.

I just have a daughter, grown grandkids. Some love them some don't. All my 7 great grands have at least one.

Daughter and oldest granddaughter will decide what to do with them when I am gone.

Rhonda K 10-09-2020 03:55 PM

Right now there are two quilts done on the embroidery machine. One of these quilts is my first love so it will stay with me for now.

There are two applique/embroidery quilts plus one more waiting for the final touches.Two of these quilts will be sent to little ones soon.

There is one set of blocks that can make another quilt. It may stay a UFO or become a donation.