Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Newbies challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/newbies-challenge-t38362.html)

quazyquilter 03-02-2010 06:35 AM

I would like to challenge all the "veteran" quilters on this board to find a "newbie" and adopt one. I have taken one under my wing, so to speak and I am teaching her to quilt via this board, e-mail and the phone.
There are some "newbies" out there that would probably welcome our help and guidance and have lots of questions that maybe they are too shy to ask, or they may not know how to ask about certain things, for fear that they will be considered "dumb questions".
So, QUILTERS,UNITE!!!

p.s. don't take butterjoy, she's mine! :lol: :D :roll:

tkhooper 03-02-2010 06:38 AM

NEWBIE UP FOR ADOPTION: Definitely need guidance. I want to become a world famous Art Quilter. Ok maybe just learn how to put on a border...

QuiltingGrannie 03-02-2010 06:39 AM

Who is considered a "Newbie" vs a 'veteran"?

I've been quilting only since last August (09), but sort of skipped the beginner quilt stage (from what others tell me), but feel I have so much to learn, while at the same time I've been 'teaching' others that are truly brand new to quilting and have never done it, or are stuck.

What I have learned or been taught is via a co-worker and here on the board.

Or am I one that is 'stuck in the middle"?

Up North 03-02-2010 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie

I've been quilting only since last August (09), but sort of skipped the beginner quilt stage (from what others tell me), but feel I have so much to learn, while at the same time I've been 'teaching' others that are truly brand new to quilting and have never done it, or are stuck.

I will join you is this spot, I started just 2 years ago, borders and mitering get me every time. I an afraid to FM Have no clue on paper piecing, don't wander off the beginner blocks.

quazyquilter 03-02-2010 06:46 AM

I am not sure that I am qualified to answer that one... I have been quilting since I was very young, but if it is something I don't know the answer to, I'll find someone that can answer it for me... but in the meantime, I can help with starting someone off on the right foot... :lol: :roll:

QuiltingGrannie 03-02-2010 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Up North

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie

I will join you is this spot, I started just 2 years ago, borders and mitering get me every time. I an afraid to FM Have no clue on paper piecing, don't wander off the beginner blocks.

I also have no clue on pp, have wandered off the beginner blocks to design my own (simple blocks). Have not FM'd yet on anything more than wall hangings doing SITD and border stitches. My machine doesn't have a drop feet foot so can't FM. Borders I do fine with and the mitering I've got down, but slow, on the wall hangings. I'm only on my third regular bed quilt and the second one (Pin wheels) is only the top done so far.

butterjoy 03-02-2010 07:14 AM

I was very happy that quazyquilter adopted me. I absolutely claim her as my teacher. I have so much to learn. As you will notice, I just finished my first 9 patch. Today she showed me online and by phone how to make a "weaved" pattern. That was so cool!

mosquitosewgirl 03-02-2010 07:18 AM

I'm up for adoption!

tkhooper 03-02-2010 07:36 AM

Me first lol.

Where's my mommy?

Dora Taggart 03-02-2010 08:24 AM

What a great ideal....