Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Silly question... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/silly-question-t43119.html)

DeneK 04-18-2010 10:59 AM

I have noticed that when I am ready to cut up the last of a fabric I really like, I am reluctant to do it. It's like when I cut it, I've lost a special fabric even tho I know I am going to use it in something else I will like.

Does anyone else get so attached to a special fabric that you don't want to cut it up and use it? Or am I just the silly one?

Dene

quiltluvr 04-18-2010 11:07 AM

Maybe you could start a literal scrap book of sorts, something to keep those last little bits that you can't say bye too?

(Now that may sound silly to some but I never claimed to be "normal". LOL)

I do have a little ziploc with a few fabrics that I wish I could find to get more of. None of them have any selvage info, some were given to me, one piece came from a scrap bin somewhere. I take them with me to shows, when I travel to other QS and ask around. They are older so I'm sure discontinued.

susie0808 04-18-2010 11:08 AM

Your not the only one! I'm always afraid I can't find it again. I solved that by buying extra. That has helped.

craftybear 04-18-2010 11:12 AM

Maybe you could make a scrappy quilt from small blocks of all of your fabrics so you can have a big quilt for memories of your fabrics.

Craftybear

Originally Posted by DeneK
I have noticed that when I am ready to cut up the last of a fabric I really like, I am reluctant to do it. It's like when I cut it, I've lost a special fabric even tho I know I am going to use it in something else I will like.

Does anyone else get so attached to a special fabric that you don't want to cut it up and use it? Or am I just the silly one?

Dene

amma 04-18-2010 12:10 PM

I have some that I haven't been able to cut yet :oops: and others that I have cut, but REALLY wish that I could find some more of....

MadQuilter 04-18-2010 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by DeneK
IOr am I just the silly one?

nope, not silly at all. Some fabrics of mine have to go to someone I really like, or I can't cut it.

rhondakp 04-18-2010 12:22 PM

I definitely have that problem but I think it is more severe! I just hate cutting into any fabric I love. I guess that is why I have way too much fabric!

thismomquilts 04-18-2010 12:32 PM

I remember when my son wanted to quilt. I told him to go up and choose however many fabrics he needed to make what he wanted. Two of the choices were my 'special' fabric that I was savig for when THE project presented itself. I almost asked him to choose something else but did not want to discourage him - I mean, I DID buy them to use, didn't I? He did a very good job on the table runners he did.

weezie 04-18-2010 01:10 PM

Nope! Just the opposite, in fact. For fabrics I really like, it makes me happy when I find the perfect quilt projects for them. (I buy fabric I like, add it to my stash, and wait for inspiration!)

littlehud 04-18-2010 05:49 PM

I have one of my totes full of fabric I love and can't bear to cute. I just visit it now and then. :-D