Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   guttermann thread problem? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/guttermann-thread-problem-t74569.html)

AlwaysQuilting 11-06-2010 02:39 AM

I just bought a low end Janome for my DGDs Xmas present.
I asked if it likes or dislikes certain threads and the LQS owner said not to use Guttermann thread. She said it's put on the spool wet at the factory which makes it come off the spool with a tighter curve and doesn't feed through the machine as well.
Have any of you noticed this?

I buy whichever thread is on sale, some of which has been Guttermann. I don't remember having a problem, but I thought I'd check here.
I don't want my DGD to get frustrated over a thread issue while learning to sew There's so many other things she can get frustrated over :lol:

Kathy N 11-06-2010 02:45 AM

I have quite a few Janome machines and I do not really like the Gutterman thread. It frays and breaks alot. When I do have a spool I usually try and use it for bobbin thread.

SuziC 11-06-2010 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I just bought a low end Janome for my DGDs Xmas present.
I asked if it likes or dislikes certain threads and the LQS owner said not to use Guttermann thread. She said it's put on the spool wet at the factory which makes it come off the spool with a tighter curve and doesn't feed through the machine as well.
Have any of you noticed this?

I buy whichever thread is on sale, some of which has been Guttermann. I don't remember having a problem, but I thought I'd check here.
I don't want my DGD to get frustrated over a thread issue while learning to sew There's so many other things she can get frustrated over :lol:

Good question, i wondered about thread also.

Terryl 11-06-2010 04:59 AM

I have a husqvarna SE & D1 and all I buy is gutermann thread. I also have a New Home and a small Brother for classes, they all like the thread. In a class I took once the teacher suggested this thread so it's all I've ever used and never had a problem

mamaw 11-06-2010 05:09 AM

I have 2 Janome machines and Gutermann is all I use. Have had no problems with it at all and have been using it since day 1. Actually recommended by the dealer....so go figure. Could it make a difference that I use the Gutermann polyester??
My Kenmore is even happy with it!

mic-pa 11-06-2010 05:23 AM

I have three Janome machines and use Gutterman all the time without a problem

featherweight 11-06-2010 05:42 AM

I use Gutterman thread also. I sure haven't had a problem with it. The dealer probably sells another brand and wants you to spend a bunch for their thread also.

akrogirl 11-06-2010 06:23 AM

I use Gutermann all the time on a variety of machines and have never had any problems. My Pfaff Creative Vision, otoh, doesn't seem to like Madeira thread :?

Just let your DGD try a few spools and see what happens before stocking up though, just in case. Some machines do seem to have certain preferences, but it would make life a whole lot easier if they could agree on the same brands, lol.

noveltyjunkie 11-06-2010 06:33 AM

I use it too. If it was so bad, how would it have gotten to be one of the leading brands of thread in the world, I wonder?

Mamagus 11-06-2010 06:35 AM

My sisters and I all have janome 6500/6600 machines. All three machines EAT Coats and Clark and love Gutterman!

Is your dealer stocking a different brand name? Just wondering!