Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Advice Needed! Add one more border? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/advice-needed-add-one-more-border-t84267.html)

BabkaGal 12-21-2010 05:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I am almost done with a quilt for my guild's upcoming show, and I am so happy with the way it is turning out! I have a bit of a dilemma, though, and I was wondering if you had any thoughts.

Below is a photo of my quilt in its current state (it measures about 70 inches by 70 inches). Do I stop adding borders and keep it as is, or should I add one more border? I was planning on adding a dark blue pieced border as the final one, but I like how the yellow border makes the quilt look so "sparkly." I am tempted to keep it as is and just add a red binding for a touch of color at the edge. I am worried that a dark blue border may make it too somber, but it might tie everything together.

I'd love to hear any thoughts or advice! Thanks!

--Nicole

Murphy 12-21-2010 05:49 AM

This is just gorgeous as is.

lhavelka 12-21-2010 05:50 AM

My vote is no more border, I think the red binding will finish it perfectly!!!

davidwent 12-21-2010 05:52 AM

I agree, It's perfect now! A red binding would really finish it nicely
David

maryb119 12-21-2010 05:53 AM

No border. It's perfect the way it is. I agree, a red binding would finish it.

MTS 12-21-2010 05:54 AM

What a fabulous use of Kaffe fabrics!

You're the one who mentioned "sparkly" - so.....
Personally, I would add the darker pieced border.

And here's why -
The quilt is great as it is, but look how the light border just disappears, even against the wall. It fades out. The darker border will frame the whole quilt, and then the lights will REALLY sparkle.

luvspaper 12-21-2010 05:59 AM

Agree with all the others. I would just bind it in red! It is gorgeous!

amyamy1978 12-21-2010 06:00 AM

I think it is perfect just the way it is.

QuiltingGrannie 12-21-2010 06:01 AM

Beautiful quilt!

I would add a small dark blue or red border and then use that same color as the binding.

Reason being - it will make it stand out more as mentioned above it sort of fades out against a wall.
Also because a border will hold all your end seams together for when you quilt it, or have it quilted.

If you don't put a border on it make sure all your end seams on the piano key pieces are secure before you quilt it. You can do this by running a seam along the edge about a 1/4" inch in from the edge when not using a border.

Have fun and have a Merry Christmas!

dakotamaid 12-21-2010 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
What a fabulous use of Kaffe fabrics!

You're the one who mentioned "sparkly" - so.....
Personally, I would add the darker pieced border.

And here's why -
The quilt is great as it is, but look how the light border just disappears, even again the wall. It fades out. The darker border will frame the whole quilt, and then the lights will REALLY sparkle.

Agree!! Audition, take pics, lay out the blue against the yellow outer border and than compare.