Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it too late to add cornerstones? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/too-late-add-cornerstones-t91282.html)

Renee110 01-17-2011 06:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm a total beginner and did everything going by a book.

I added sashing, and now I realize I was supposed to add cornerstone to the sashing before attaching to block. Duh!

So the whole top is pieced with sashing and no cornerblocks. I'll attach a pic so you can see.

Can I still add cornerstones or would that be too bulky?

sueisallaboutquilts 01-17-2011 06:19 AM

Sure, you can add them.
And you don't look like a beginner to me!!
Wonderful work!!!!!!!!! :D:D

OOPS- read this too fast. I think they would be bulky if you added them to the fabric already there.

Murphy 01-17-2011 06:19 AM

You would have to take it all apart to add the cornerstones to the sashing strips. This is beautiful as it is and if it was me I would not take this one apart, but try that technique on the next one. IMHO.

sidmona 01-17-2011 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
You would have to take it all apart to add the cornerstones to the sashing strips. This is beautiful as it is and if it was me I would not take this one apart, but try that technique on the next one. IMHO.

ditto!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-17-2011 06:20 AM

It looks good to me. I'd be way too lazy to rip it apart for cornerstones, but if you are great friends with the seam ripper and want cornerstones, go for it.

Renee110 01-17-2011 06:21 AM

LOL I'm not taking anything apart!!!!!!!! :shock:

ktbb 01-17-2011 06:21 AM

to stitch them in, you'd have to take everything apart, but you could applique cornerstones in on top of what you've already done...do something fun if you want - set them on point, or just put them in wonky to add some fun to the quilt. You could also applique completely different shapes.

Beautiful job, by the way. and remember that you don't have to always do it just as the book says. As you quilt more you'll see things that you like better (or less) than what the book calls for and it's OK to make those changes. for example, if you like the look you have here - leave the setting stones out.

qwkslver 01-17-2011 06:22 AM

I think it is just beautiful. There is no "right" way really. If I do something "wrong" I figure I might change it next time but for this quilt that was the way I WANTED it to look. I have one in there on the bed now halfway put together, it's a little crooked, for a 6 year old who isn't going to see past the bright Care Bears on the fabric anyway so I'm proceeding, crooked and all. It's all a learning experience. Next time I will measure more carefully. You did a great job, it's just beautiful.

lvaughan 01-17-2011 06:22 AM

I agree with others, I like it like it is. Very nice, you are doing a good job.

hobo2000 01-17-2011 06:23 AM

Your quilt is lovely as it is. If you want the additional squares which will create a more overall Pattern you could appliqué the small squares at each corner. Lay them on and see what you think.