Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Annoying, Obnoxious, & Plentiful Ads... Ughhh

Annoying, Obnoxious, & Plentiful Ads... Ughhh

So, every image in a post in the Pictures section now has an ad directly underneath each one. There is also an ad between each post (reply). Yes, I am signed in (I stay signed in). No, there is no problem with my pc, this is the only site that has this problem. So, the problem is not my pc. My question is: Are ads (other than the unobtrusive ones that were at the bottom or side of the pages) now a mainstay? Thank you.
    - Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
    - I've lost my mind somewhere in the heap of quilting scraps and motherboards.

I don't have that problem on my computer.

Watson

Quote Originally Posted by stitchinbee View Post
    So, every image in a post in the Pictures section now has an ad directly underneath each one. There is also an ad between each post (reply). Yes, I am signed in (I stay signed in). No, there is no problem with my pc, this is the only site that has this problem. So, the problem is not my pc. My question is: Are ads (other than the unobtrusive ones that were at the bottom or side of the pages) now a mainstay? Thank you.
    Same experience, same question.

The QB owners must be having financial troubles, or perhaps winding up to sell the site. Ads are obviously the #1 priority of this forum, not the quilters.

Such a shame.

I have quite a few advertisements between posts and also beneath pictures.
    Advertising pays for this free site, so unless folks are willing to pay a subscription fee, we're likely going to continue to see lots of ads.
    But I find my brain has quickly learned to skim past those ads and I couldn't recall exactly how many there were, I had to go to a post to look.
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Power Poster
    The only ads that really "bother" me are the ones near the top - so if I think I am pressing "private messages" - instead of that, I get the ad.

It bothers me more on my phone.

Most of the time, I don't even "see" the ads.

I mostly use my android tablet when I am on the board and I added an ad blocker app and it has been wonderful. The majority of the obnoxious ads are gone.
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1932 15-88, 1933 99k25 HC, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    Same experience, same question.

The QB owners must be having financial troubles, or perhaps winding up to sell the site. Ads are obviously the #1 priority of this forum, not the quilters.

Such a shame.
    Ditto this! I'm having the same problems, whether I'm on my computer/PC or my iPod.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Blog Entries
    I have ad blocker on my pc, so I don't see any!

Blog Entries
    unless they changed their policy without telling me, the ads between photos and comments within threads are not supposed to be there if we are logged in.

if they have changed the policy there won't be anything i can do about it except sympathize with you guys and spit pea soup at them.

i will contact tech support in hope this was an accidental change the happened while they were trying to fix the other problem non-computer, chrome, and safari users were/are having with pop-ups, etc.

hang in there.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Watson58 View Post
    I have ad blocker on my pc, so I don't see any!
    Firefox with adblock Plus. Can't understand why anyone would go online without an adblocker. What drove me over the edge was the ones with yellow teeth and jiggling bellies. (that was a long time ago!)

I still do see the in-house ads for QB e-books etc. But they are unobtrusive.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    Firefox with adblock Plus. Can't understand why anyone would go online without an adblocker. What drove me over the edge was the ones with yellow teeth and jiggling bellies. (that was a long time ago!)

I still do see the in-house ads for QB e-books etc. But they are unobtrusive.
    Ditto! I love Firefox with Adblocker Plus! I am so spoiled by not having to look at any obnoxious ads.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I use Chrome and have add block I don't have any adds.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Ditto! I love Firefox with Adblocker Plus! I am so spoiled by not having to look at any obnoxious ads.
    Thanks for mentioning this. I have the QB bookmarked on the Imac in Safari but just logged on with Firefox and the ads are gone! Ha!

Now, if we could just fix the tablet issues . . .

charlotte

They may be but you don't have to see them. Are you aware of AdBlock? It used to be free and they may still offer a free dowload. This is a very effective way of blocking ads from your computer in general and this site in particular. You may still encounter sites where you have to disable the AdBlock before you can view the site but that's you decision to make. Once you have seen what you want you can enable the AdBlock again. I highly recommend you try this:
    https://adblockplus.org/
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Blog Entries
    do a search for ad blocker.
    i believe you will find it's available for phones, pads, computers, and possibly your favorite pair of flip flops.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]