Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
Pop-up advertisi)ng >

Pop-up advertisi)ng

Pop-up advertisi)ng

Old 08-27-2020, 06:12 AM

Default Pop-up advertisi)ng

I know the need for advertising but the pop-up ads that come on at the bottom of my screen cover what I'm trying to read. I continually have to delete (like every time) these. How do I get rid of these. I don't mind the ones that are above the forum page. Driving me nuts and makes viewing and reading not so much fun.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:22 AM

There are free programs that make life much easier on the internet, which ones you choose depends a lot on the browser you use (Edge, Firefox, etc.). Ublock, Adblock, Ghostery, there are many options that do many of the same things but a few extras. There are in addition to your basic virus protections/data scans that you should be doing on a regular basis.

I'm getting a bit to the tinfoil hat/conspiracy theorist about my lack of privacy on the internet. I do all sorts of things that my husband doesn't bother with and that's ok -- we have a firewall between our systems. I use Firefox myself and have my system pretty locked down with several programs -- it isn't so easy for me to go look at stuff but I don't pick up viruses in return. For example, I can click on a link and I get a screen that basically says "your protection levels say not to let you in, do you really want to risk it?" I usually choose to back away and do other research. I can tell you it makes a huge difference when I'm browsing here on my home screen or when I pop on someone else's computer to show them something here.

The "free" internet is paid for by the transference of data, including data about myself I don't wish to share with people who wish to sell me things. There are some sites I choose to "white list", that is, let them still get some financial consideration from my web traffic. There are other sites I support through paypal donations, it's Wikipedia time btw so that means I probably should be shooting Missing Fabrics and a couple other sites some bucks.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:27 AM

Some forums will ban you if you even so much as mention that adblockers exist.

Anyone have a good suggestion for an adblocker for an Android tablet?
Old 08-27-2020, 06:51 AM

I know. They drive me crazy too. Wish we could block them or something.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:42 AM

Do a search for "AdBlock Plus" and the name of your browser, i.e. "Adblock plus for Firefox" or "adblock plus for Chrome". It's free.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:46 AM

I can block them from every, every website but this one. My husband loves a challenge and is computer savvy. He even gave up. Some days, I simply can't deal with it and so I don't. It is very frustrating and I have no idea why this website and none other gives so much trouble.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:49 AM

What are you using to block them with? I don't get any ads on this site at all.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:54 AM

I know they are so annoying and frustrating and really drive me crazy but it is what it is. If that is the only thing that is wrong in my life then I feel very lucky but very annoyed.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

I use AD Block and never have popups on any site. I get a message that says please disable the adblock to continue but it's up to me if i do or not. Most are sites that are more news related. No pop ups on this site at all and none on the pop up heavy blog sites.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:17 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Originally Posted by Still Sew N View Post
I can block them from every, every website but this one. My husband loves a challenge and is computer savvy. He even gave up. Some days, I simply can't deal with it and so I don't. It is very frustrating and I have no idea why this website and none other gives so much trouble.
Did you accidentally disable ad blocking on this site? Look if you have sites that are white listed.