Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
Site unsafe?? >

Site unsafe??

Site unsafe??

Old 12-15-2013, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Trisher View Post
For the past few days I get a message (only when I am on here) saying that my Java needs updating. Silly me clicked on it the first time I saw it, and I got a whole bunch of spyware stuff on my laptop. I purchased SpyHunter and it cleaned up all the nasty stuff.

I know that I have the most up to date Java, but I keep getting that annoying message. Only on quiltingboard. I wonder if some nastiness has hi-jacked the board? Should we be reporting this officially somewhere?
I also got that message...
Old 12-15-2013, 06:31 AM

It's happened several more times and this is the only place where it happens. I ran a scan and deleted spyware and the only site I went to after was this one ... new scan, more spyware found. I do believe there's something going on with this site. Sorry, I look forward to coming here and hope this gets fixed soon. I tried a screen shot but couldn't get it to paste.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

How do you do a screen shot?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:16 PM

I think it's misleading advertising too, they want you to click on their site which causes problems to your computer, then you "have to buy" their product to get rid of it.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:32 AM
Administrator

the techs have completely blocked a provider.
they need to know whether or not anybody still gets the pop-up after having scanned their computer to ensure it is clean of adware/spyware/malware/viruses.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Thanks PatriceJ .... I was one that got attacked by those beastie rogue applications, and got all cleaned up via my techie a week ago.
Will see what happens now.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:57 AM

Default How do you get screen shot

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
i will send a link to this post to tech support.

there is nothing wrong with the site.

those might be deliberately misleading advertisements.
our marketing department and tech support work together to do everything they can to block stuff like that.
unfortunately, people who are sleazy enough to create those ads are also sleazy enough to work around-their-clocks to find ways around the defenses all decent sites put up to keep them out.

they might also be the results of your having unwittingly clicked on something from somewhere else.
hard to say without a visual.

if you get something odd, please take a screen shot and post it here in this thread.
Can you explain to to capture a screen shot. I do the Control + Prt sc, but I can't seem to paste it anywhere to forward it on.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
the techs have completely blocked a provider.
they need to know whether or not anybody still gets the pop-up after having scanned their computer to ensure it is clean of adware/spyware/malware/viruses.
I just did all my 'normal' browsing throughout this site and everything was fine! Thanks so much! And no more 'search conduit' etc spyware discovered when I run the cleanup software!
Old 12-22-2013, 06:45 AM

I have read about others having this happen and now it happened to me. It will not let me on here at all. For two days I have not been able to get on and I had to come in through the digest today. I didn't change a thing, use google chrome and have Avast for virus protection. If I can get a screen shot I will try to post it but it closes the site pretty fast.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:11 AM

I have firefox and was having that Java update plugin needs to be updated for about a week, only when coming to this site. I googled it and it said it was a virus but my Spyware, antivirus and Malware products didn't pick it up. The only way I could get rid of it was to clear the cache, so I did that for both my firefox and IE and "touch wood" haven't had the pop-up since. Of course you lose all your automatic type fill in and passwords so hopefully you have them written down before you clear the cache.