Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Fabric Moratorium

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    How is everyone doing? We are on our way to Florida. I'm going to visit Happy Apple Quilt Shop for the first time. Am looking forward to it but am also hoping to buy sensibly.
    Where is the Happy Apple??? Although I know I can't go there

Blog Entries
    I just survived the Hampton Quilt show and didn't buy any fabric. I did buy some thread, another ruler rack for my wall ( I loved the one I bought last yr) and I bought a magnetic pin holder and a jacket and a bobbin holder. That's it. I did really good resisting.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Just bought 2.5 yds of fabric from quilting board sale...totally gonna be used in a charity quilt...so....I don't consider this a bad purchase. It will be paired with stash fabric ( pre selected if colors work like I believe).

Blog Entries
    I picked up 2 yds of heavenly pink minky for....a dollar...I so could pass that up, that doesn't count right?
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

Blog Entries
    Craftiladi...anytime one can get 2 yards of any nice fabric for $1 ...I say go for it.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Oh my, Lady deluxe you have a fabulous stash. I have been trying to get my stash in order with no luck yet. It is my goal to have it in order like yours.

My goal is to get use so much of my stash that I really don't have much to organize!!

Blog Entries
    Another month down, how did everyone do? Me, not so well. My stash actually increased. I was gifted some fabric and picked up a couple sheets for backing at the thrift store. Also, I didn't quilt AT ALL. Nada. I did, however, slipcover a 21' pontoon boat. My Feb goal was to go thru and cull my quilting books. I only got thru my paper crafting and book binding books. Got rid of over 100, but didn't even start on my quilting library. There's always March!
    How did you do in February and what are your plans for March?
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I did well!!! Okay, I lied! I bought 3 yards of a Timeless Treasures WOW fabric that I am in love with. It has cherries on it and someday I will be making that 1930's repro fabric quilt and it will go perfect. Which would be fine as it is slated for a "future use" except I already had 3 yards in my stash. I was just afraid I wouldn't be able to find it again and I wouldn't have enough in my stash. WOWs are kinda like crack to me, love em, need em, gotta have em!

I have been at this moriatorium since July of 2012 so I think I deserved a little fix! (isn't that what addicts say to justify their addictions? I haven't drank for 3 weeks so I decided to reward myself with a bottle of whiskey, I made it through the day without killing someone so I thought I earned that line of coke, I lost 3 lbs so I treated myself to that double banana split!) Well, I didn't fall off the wagon too far so I'm no worse for the wear!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    I made it through February with a purchase of 24" of a special print for the binding of my scrappy quilt. That quilt is on the 301 being FMQ and a batik Spicy Spiral table runner is cut out (from stash) and half sewn on another machine. Not too bad for me!

Blog Entries
    I did well this month and bought no fabric. I did buy a new cutting mat. My old was was over 20 years old and the new one cuts so much nicer. Now I need to figure out a good use for the old one. Templates??? Any other ideas?
    Did sign up for a quilting class on making Arrowhead block or something like that but the class is in April so might have to buy fabric for that but if I do, it will get used up in the class. Will search through my stash first though when I get class requirements. Nice to be a part of this group though. :-)
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

I think I'm doing pretty good since we started I've only bought 3 fat qtres -- oops make that 4. I'm also starting a class in march & will use from my stash as much as possible. Hopefully all of it. My husband just got laid off today soo it's going to be tight.

Quote Originally Posted by pokeyscorner View Post
    I think I'm doing pretty good since we started I've only bought 3 fat qtres -- oops make that 4. I'm also starting a class in march & will use from my stash as much as possible. Hopefully all of it. My husband just got laid off today soo it's going to be tight.
    Sorry about the lay off..I know it is hard to maintain your quilting fix on limited income..I am on disability, so one of the reasons I needed to join the moratorium is to help save money and still quilt....I was raised to never waste anything, but when it comes to buying a beautiful fabric that might never get used, all my upbringing goes out the window!! So far have finished a queen quilt from stash, and have begun organizing scraps for scrappy quilts...The quilt I am presently working on is for a granddaughter..since I let the other 10 grands pick their fabrics, I had to jump off the wagon and take her shopping....But it is almost done, so it never added to stash...I also used tons of coupons so it didn't cost too much!! Once this is done, I hope to work on a scrappy quilt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I did well!!! Okay, I lied! I bought 3 yards of a Timeless Treasures WOW fabric that I am in love with. It has cherries on it and someday I will be making that 1930's repro fabric quilt and it will go perfect. Which would be fine as it is slated for a "future use" except I already had 3 yards in my stash. I was just afraid I wouldn't be able to find it again and I wouldn't have enough in my stash. WOWs are kinda like crack to me, love em, need em, gotta have em!

I have been at this moriatorium since July of 2012 so I think I deserved a little fix! (isn't that what addicts say to justify their addictions? I haven't drank for 3 weeks so I decided to reward myself with a bottle of whiskey, I made it through the day without killing someone so I thought I earned that line of coke, I lost 3 lbs so I treated myself to that double banana split!) Well, I didn't fall off the wagon too far so I'm no worse for the wear!
    OH My Gosh...lol thanks for the chuckle . I am still on the wagon as far as fabric, wish i could say the same for vintage sewing machines...I was good for a month-lol
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

Blog Entries
    I capped off the month buying a little over 12 yds of fabric yesterday. Yikes! About 2 of it will go to finishing a couple of baby quilts, and my daughter's going to get a new purse. March will be better!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

I feel I did good in February. I did buy some backing to finish two quilts from my stash. I made a t-shirt quilt for a friend and was able to us fabric from my stash for all but the backing. I almost feel like the money she gave me is all profit! Overall, the only fabric I buy is either backing or background fabric to go with fabric in my stash. I also finished up a couple UFO's. Hopefully I will do as well in March.
    Sophie2

I bought no material last month. (Jan)
    I have bought no material this month (Feb).
    I am still working on the same quilt top.
    Flu in mid-Dec and trip to ER took me a month to get over it.
    Trying to walk a mile 5 days a week at the rec center.
    Too much snow and cold to do it out side.
    Still paying co-pays for the trip to ER. Med Ins covered most all of it.
    Will go to city in March for Dr appt and will get to Walmart.
    Not planning to buy any material but of course I will look.
    I will have to figure out how many yards for this top and the backing.

Blog Entries
    Goodness Coloradowest, that is an eventful 2.5 months for you!

I have only purchased fabric for quilts that needed finished, two cancer quilts. Roberto embroidered the blocks and did not have much in my stash so had to go shopping. They are done though. My DH went shopping for fabric for it when he was in Idaho, but was wrong shading, cream not white, so I had to keep it, oh darn stuck with four yards of absolutely goregous fabric, oh what will I do.

So only bought what needed for quilts and one round robin. Hanging in there.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Another month down and still haven't added to my stash. I've started a new collection, thread!
    Wendy

My boyfriend told me Sunday to just order the storage I wanted for my fabric. YAY! Now to decide what that is, lol!

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Well status for the month of Feb. No fabric purchased used everything from my stash. Also did not purchase any thread either or batting. But did purchase a quilt magazine and one quilt book
    ​Christine

I am going to jump in with this if that,s ok. I am too trying not to buy fabric at the moment. I am getting my stash organised so I can clearly see what I have . I have a few large pieces of wadding and two bags of wadding bits so I am going to try and use those up by piecing them to make quilt size pieces. I will need to buy thread though .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradowest View Post
    I bought no material last month. (Jan)
    I have bought no material this month (Feb).
    I am still working on the same quilt top.
    Flu in mid-Dec and trip to ER took me a month to get over it.
    Trying to walk a mile 5 days a week at the rec center.
    Too much snow and cold to do it out side.
    Still paying co-pays for the trip to ER. Med Ins covered most all of it.
    Will go to city in March for Dr appt and will get to Walmart.
    Not planning to buy any material but of course I will look.
    I will have to figure out how many yards for this top and the backing.
    Oh Coloradowest-after all that I wouldn't blame you if you went shopping-so extra cudoes to you. Hope u r feeling better from the nasty flu.
    Ladydeluxe-oooh a thread collection-what did u get? I am slowly educating myself on which thread to use for certain projects. I am a just grab it kinda gal, if the color works then I should be good to go..lol
    QuiltMomma-of course we wouldn't expect you return the wrong fabric-surely it can be used for something, beside you personally didn't buy it, so I don't think it counts-right?
    DustysMomma-anxious to see what you decide on for fabric storage, will you please share?

I have a friend coming to visit for two weeks, lets see if I can stay on my no buy & stick to getting UFO's done.
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

Blog Entries
    Phew.....made it thru February with only the purchase of fabric to enlarge 3 quilts I had made several years ago for my grandsons. The youngest reported that his feet hung out the end of his quilt so he wasn't using it anymore, so I offerred to enlarge it and when I did the other two brought theirs out of the closet as well. Whats a grammie to do? These were flannel quilts and I only had a small stash of flannel, so I felt justified in my purchases. BUT - I got down to the 3rd one and didn't have enough flannel for the binding, so that one was bound with regular cotton, right out of the stash. Now, to get thru March!
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Blog Entries
    Today is my birthday and I think my daughter and I are going to have a fun day in a neighboring town that has a JoAnn's and several other fabric stores. Wish me luck. I need to delete some more online fabric sites. I received an email yesterday for Kaffe Fassett fabrics in clearance. Ouch!

Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast