Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Fabric Moratorium

Blog Entries
    I think I'm there too. May need batting now and again.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Batting, needles, blades, and thread need to be replaced over time. I may buy patterns/books or a new template every now and then, but that has not gotten out of control, just fabric. The other thing I sometimes run out of is solid white.
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

WOW!! A good month.....Just did a big online shoppping atr Joannes and left it in the cart!! Hope that cures my fabric shopping fix!

Quote Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
    Thanks to DustysMomma for the link to this pattern - have finished the top in a day and a half and will go back into the studio today to find more fabrics out of my latest influx of free fabric to make another one.
    How adorable! You're very welcome. I'm glad it turned out well. Someone's going to be very happy and fortunate to receive this.

Here is a falling charms baby quilt made completely from my stash. I am happy with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    well. once again you can applaud me for making you all look very good and restrained! i spent another small fortune at jo-a's. well, now that they have the quilting fabric in the front of the store i don't stand a chance! i had the basket filled with bolts before i was 15' into the place. i may have to commit arson to save myself. just kidding--i would be first in line for the smoke and fire sale!
    i have a little boy project to make, and i was looking ahead to july 4th and memorial day, before that. i never seem to have either little boy fabs or patriotic-- in my case red, white and blue. then i thought of all the nice things people tuck into swaps. and i usually don't, and maybe i should. how do people do it and not go broke? i must learn restraint or find sewing dollar stores. my sister is coming in to take us to dinner for our trifecta-- 2 birthdays and an anniversary all clumped together. dh's bday is the day before our anniversary. 37 yrs, and he's only 26, and i'm 23. i love the old "new math". lol, then my birthday a couple days later. meals out are always nice, and i know right where to put the present... drinks and appetizers add to midriff bulge, main course attach to pot belly and hips, dessert deposit on butt and thighs. i love a gift i don't need to find a storage place for! dh bought me a lovely jewelled pendant and i bought myself a new embroidery machine and a featherweight. anyone looking for an fw i strongly suggest the goodwillshop.com, read the entry carefully before bidding-- if you win it, you owe it, no outs. they had 5 last week in the first 10 pages of " hobby and craft". you may have noticed i'm the only one getting prezzies. as it should be, 8-)
    Last edited by nancia; 05-04-2013 at 06:43 AM.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    Lovely charm quilt--looks like a great one to use for stash busting.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

That is a pretty charm quilt.

I cheated and bought a yard of fabric off ebay because it's one I've been watching for, but that's it. I've also finished 4 small projects and am almost done with a 5th. Guess I'm working on the SEW FASTER theory to make room. I will have used up and past on more than that yard from my stash.

By the by, those of you with young girls in your lives, or who live is slightly chilled homes, I made a mob cap this past week from my stash. It is absolutely adorable, especially on my daughter. Here's a link to the tutorial. I used pink sateen, a saucy red bow, and added lace to the edge.....http://pattisoriginals-pattisplace.b...l-mop-cap.html I suppose I should post that on the stash busters challenge.
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

Nancia: Thanks for the laugh. I think you have a set of very good excuses. Birthday, aniversary, The Sun came up day, I just felt like it day, JoAnn's entrapped me day, the list goes on. It must be something in the air, I have really been having the urge to buy some beautiful fabric. All it would take, is a really good sale with lovely fabric. Signing off from Oregon where I am hanging by a thread.

Blog Entries
    I think I might make a bigger dent in my stash if I would stop using all of my scraps. I just emptied my scrap bin and made 623 mile a minute blocks. That is enough for 6 quilts. I'm waiting for rummage sales to find some sheets for the backs, so I can finish these to donate to the local womens shelter. So far I've made 12 quilts and my shelfs are still full. I'm not complaining. I know I am blessed. I just thought I would have more empty space showing for all of my hard work. The moratorium has been an eye opener on how much fabric I really have.

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    Lovely charm quilt--looks like a great one to use for stash busting.
    Thank you. I tried to behave but I bought 5 3/4 yards today blenders for my stash. I have finished 5 projects out of my stash so I m happy.

EmmaS I hope your thread has is a heavy gauge!

deedum....what sort of blenders did you buy? Vitamix, Sunshine, KitchenAid? That's a lot of cutting power I'm actually only being half funny. I've never really understood the definition of a fabric blender. Somebody want to enlighten me?

Blog Entries
    Sure Foxflower, a blender is a fabric usually in a neutral color (can be tone on tone) that will "blend" with a lot of different color fabrics. Marbles, Fusions are examples. I like to find creams and tans to use as blenders for some of my scrappy's.

Here's what fabric.com offers as blenders:

http://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabri...-by-color.aspx
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Quote Originally Posted by Foxflower View Post
    EmmaS I hope your thread has is a heavy gauge!

deedum....what sort of blenders did you buy? Vitamix, Sunshine, KitchenAid? That's a lot of cutting power I'm actually only being half funny. I've never really understood the definition of a fabric blender. Somebody want to enlighten me?
    KitchenAid! I believe, LOL. I think of blenders as a almost solid color fabric with just a bit of subtle pattern. When upclose you can see the pattern embedded ever so softly. From a distance it appears to be more of a solid. Clear as mud, right?

I know we get demerits for buying fabric but what about for really, really bad puns? She who shall remain nameless is way ahead.
    Deedum: My definition of blenders is the same as yours. In a massive stash I have far to few. I love buying prints that make a strong statement. The blenders tie prints together, while still playing off the other fabrics.

Hmm, interesting. I guess I've always considered "blenders" as neutrals, solids, or backgrounds. I think of blenders as multi-colored prints that incorporated the rest of the print colors together and make everything work together--but that's probably because I do often work from stash with fabrics not originally made to work together. I've had prints that I don't like on their own very much that end up coordinating with so much that they are invaluable. I'm thinking of a med-blue background multi-colored floral. I though, ew, what am I going to use that for? Somebody gave it to me. Turns out it went with a lot of stuff and is working beautifully in a blooming 9-patch. So, I'll have to get with the program and change my vocabulary. Thanks ladies.

And, as far as the moratorium goes, was working on a UFO last night, ran out of 1 fabric I need to finish. So, emailed a guild member and will get what I need to finish....free. Stash sharers are wonderful people.

Today's goal is to make pincushions and needle cases for a swap...Then hopefully will get the fabric cut for another grandchild quilt...Bought the fabrics for this quilt over a year ago!! About time it got started!! This will be the 11th grandchild to get a quilt, with 3 more to go!!

Blog Entries
    I come to this thread today, hanging my head in shame (well, almost. . . ) I have been on a fabric moratorium since July 2012 and have prided myself in only adding 2 FQ bundles to my stash since then. I have fallen off that wagon and when I did, I fell incredibly hard that I am surprised that I am not in a full body cast! I stumbled upon a Craigslist ad for a "Sewer's Dream" garage sale. Well, I though I would go take a look because I am looking for zippers. I pulled up to the house and there is probably 30 cardboard boxes lining the drive way and at least 5 tables full of fabric. Apparently, the homeowner's (who is not a sewer or quilter) MIL passed away and she had worked at Joann's for over 15 years. I asked the price on the fabrics and if she was selling by the piece or the yard. She said that she would give me a price once I had decided what I wanted. The evil fabric demon came over me and I tore through the boxes like a mad woman!! There were no scraps, all were 1+ yard pieces. I piled what I thought I wanted and waited with baited breath for the cost. She looked at my pile and hesitated when saying $20. I told her that I would be happy to give her $20. They had a basket of zippers (probably 40 of them) that they wanted $35 for. I declined to purchase the zippers! I brought the fabrics home and washed and ruler folded them. I have nothing that is less than 1 yard and some pieces are 5-8 yds long. I wound up with 70+ yards!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Wow, auntpiggylpn, hopefully when you fell off the wagon you landed on your pile of fabric! I doubt if anyone could have resisted that temptation.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

AuntPiggy: Personally I think you showed a lot of control. You were far less extravagant then I would have been. Nice selection of fabric. I often wonder how people that work in any kind of fabric store take home any of there paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I come to this thread today, hanging my head in shame (well, almost. . . ) I have been on a fabric moratorium since July 2012 and have prided myself in only adding 2 FQ bundles to my stash since then. I have fallen off that wagon and when I did, I fell incredibly hard that I am surprised that I am not in a full body cast! I stumbled upon a Craigslist ad for a "Sewer's Dream" garage sale. Well, I though I would go take a look because I am looking for zippers. I pulled up to the house and there is probably 30 cardboard boxes lining the drive way and at least 5 tables full of fabric. Apparently, the homeowner's (who is not a sewer or quilter) MIL passed away and she had worked at Joann's for over 15 years. I asked the price on the fabrics and if she was selling by the piece or the yard. She said that she would give me a price once I had decided what I wanted. The evil fabric demon came over me and I tore through the boxes like a mad woman!! There were no scraps, all were 1+ yard pieces. I piled what I thought I wanted and waited with baited breath for the cost. She looked at my pile and hesitated when saying $20. I told her that I would be happy to give her $20. They had a basket of zippers (probably 40 of them) that they wanted $35 for. I declined to purchase the zippers! I brought the fabrics home and washed and ruler folded them. I have nothing that is less than 1 yard and some pieces are 5-8 yds long. I wound up with 70+ yards!
    Boy when you fall you really make a thud. Have no fear, everyone on this board would have done the same thing. I probably would have bought much more than you did. What a great deal.

Blog Entries
    Wow Auntpiggylpn, There are good things to falling off the wagon and a yard sale is one of them. I think you do not have to hang your head. Hold it high and be proud and happy you were so fortunate. :-)
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Wonderful acquisition of beautiful fabric! Don't think this truly counts as falling off the wagon since it was such a bargain.
    I must confess to losing the wagon entirely. Needed more lighter colored fabrics for my peacock colors quilt and just kept finding pretty ones that fit the color scheme in all varieties. A couple were actually the lighter brighter ones I originally was searching for! Then I just had to look at the sale section of this board and had even more fun there. Gotta be good for awhile now I guess. Lol!

You did great! You did what the rest of us would of done if we had the chance, except maybe we wouldn't have been so good! It would be silly to pass that up. Looks like you have enough to stay on the wagon awhile. Have fun with it!

Blog Entries
    Did everyone hear that big "Boom!"?? that was me falling off the wagon. After going a whole month in April w/o any fabric purchases at all, I got the Connecting Threads catalog and ordered some of the new white on white. I sort of have a project in mind (but not really...) Of course I had to get a yard or two of some other fabrics to get my purchase up to $50.
    If I'm so busy that I can't sew, I tend to buy. The past 3 weeks have been so hectic, I couldn't find half an hour to sit at my sewing machine, but i sure found 5 minutes to order fabric.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast