Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Fabric Moratorium

PaperPrincess, you sound like me! I bought a whole Walmart bag full of fabrics on the yard sale site I help admin for $30. There's about 20 yards of fabric & all but 1 piece is quilting cotton. I was checking new albums to be sure that people were labeling them like they're supposed to, so people can find stuff, and BOOM! FABRIC! I didn't get all she had, but I took all the cute stuff and solids that weren't already spoken for.

I love the new line at CT. When I received the recent catalogue I "lost" it immediately. When I was still working I was the same way about buying, hence my huge stash. Come back aboard and thanks for the vicarious thrill.

Dusty's mom: I go garage sailing this time of year. Trust me, if I see some deals I am going to be in the dust right along with you. Maybe we should exempt garage sales?

I am on my second quilt top this year. All from stash. So far this year only bought those 4 deer panels for quilt centers. At price of material it will be darn long time before I buy more. I have more material yet to haul up here. I should never buy another yard. But if I look I could see an animal blocks/panels I want. Have not been to any yard sales. All I would buy would be special block/panels type materials. So here is 2/3 of May gone already and not much sewed.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    What is puce? At first I thought it was a typo?

hahaha, did you all hear that thud? That was me falling off the wagon again! LOL! Actually I've done pretty well for the last few months only buying a little here and there to finish off projects when I didn't have enough to finish. But last week I bought like 17+ yards! Hahahaha, it was HMQS that ruined me I tell you. All the fabric fumes went to my head and I had to have something for a few new projects. So, I added about 3-4 quilts worth!

That said I should be good for several months now right!? *sigh* Oh how I love fabric! LOL!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    What is puce? At first I thought it was a typo?
    It's a color, as described here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puce

Bullwinkle's school colors were Pomegranate and Puce, which became a family joke when talking about color selections that don't quit go.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE *sigh* Oh how I love fabric! LOL![/QUOTE]

Me too!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    *sigh* Oh how I love fabric! LOL!
    Me too!!!

hehe sounds like I'm in good company at least!

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    It's a color, as described here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puce

Bullwinkle's school colors were Pomegranate and Puce, which became a family joke when talking about color selections that don't quit go.
    Interesting....it's not the color I thought it was....but still not one of my favorites. There are some qualifying pieces in my stash though, so I don't know that I could even use that as an excuse.
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

Ok Ladies and Gentlemen. Here it is almost the end of May and i have been really good. I have not bought much fabric for over a month. In April I was somewhat good I only bought a few yards. This month i bought 3 1/3 yard pieces to make a little boys quilt, and i got some white backing at such a good price i bought 15 yards for 1.50 per yard and it was 120" wide. I have been saving money by making most of my summer clothes that i need from my stash. I have made 2 dresses, 4 tops, a skort, and 3 pairs of shorts. I also made a baby boy quilt and a lap quilt. I thought it would look like I had used some fabric but my stash is still hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by bezzie58 View Post
    Ok Ladies and Gentlemen. Here it is almost the end of May and i have been really good. I have not bought much fabric for over a month. In April I was somewhat good I only bought a few yards. This month i bought 3 1/3 yard pieces to make a little boys quilt, and i got some white backing at such a good price i bought 15 yards for 1.50 per yard and it was 120" wide. I have been saving money by making most of my summer clothes that i need from my stash. I have made 2 dresses, 4 tops, a skort, and 3 pairs of shorts. I also made a baby boy quilt and a lap quilt. I thought it would look like I had used some fabric but my stash is still hugh.

Congratulations!! You are doing greeat..I know the end of my stash will never be see either, but what fun trying!

Well....I'm still on the wagon, but possibly this is because for some weeks I have been re-painting our incredibly smoke-stained winter living room. Our slow combustion wood stove malfunctioned and for some time had been spewing smoke back into the room....My husband pulled it out, repaired it restored it and covered the revolting cream brick fire surround with some gorgeous german tiles. So for my part I scrubbed the walls and ceilings (curse decorative cornices). Then, repainted the lot (three coats in some places). I've been too busy to shop and the downside is I've also been too exhausted to quilt....Lost a spare 3 kilos though...so I'm not too miserable.

Distraction is a good technique earthwalker.
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

Blog Entries
    I went to Germany for a family vacation and we drove to the only LQS in the area. So I just HAD to buy something - that's the touristy thing to do, right? I bought some FQs of a German fabric line. Good thing I was limited in my luggage. I could have bought more.....
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

madquilter, as punishment you must post a picture of the fabrics We all need to live vicariously here.

Blog Entries
    if we didn't all love fabric we wouldn't be in this pickle!
    i was reading the digest for may 15--i get a little behind once in awhile-- and someone asked about arabella rose. darn if i didn't have to look it up! and double darn if it wasn't just the perfect fabric for a watercolor quilt for my sister!! i cannot win!!! but she's gonna love it!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to say I fell off the wagon again. CT has a sale this weekend for FQ's and I could not resist. They make such nice little gifts to stick in with a swap. Plus, it is always a challenge to see what I can make with them. I like what Nancia said about us all liking fabric and that's why we are here. Nice to have friends! :-) I ordered a FQ sampler of flannel, too. Our guild made a cute baby quilt that uses flannel and it turned out so nice that I want to make another just to have on hand. Will post a picture of it on a new thread here later.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Blog Entries
    May is ending and my only purchase was enough Tigger fabric to back a baby quilt for $.50 at the Salvation Army thrift store. Not too bad for me. I have a twin size quilt top on the wall made entirely from my stash, so I'm way ahead of the game for May. I know I have something for backing and batting, too.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    May is ending and my only purchase was enough Tigger fabric to back a baby quilt for $.50 at the Salvation Army thrift store. Not too bad for me. I have a twin size quilt top on the wall made entirely from my stash, so I'm way ahead of the game for May. I know I have something for backing and batting, too.
    Way to go!! I have not bought very much--just what I needed for a special project or to finish off something. Lots of stash being used, but it seems like the piles never get smaller!

Blog Entries
    I've also been a good girl for the month of May! I bought a 1/2 yd to finish a wall hanging. April was about the same. March--well the LQS is under new ownership and they had a Grand Opening--that's all I'm going to say!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

I fell off the wagon last week - one of the quilt guild ladies had German lace fabric to sell - I bought 15 yard of fabric about 20 inches wide for $25.00. Just couldn't pass it up - will never have a chance to by German lace again!!

Blog Entries
    i have no excuse, but i have traded in my wagon for a scooter with helmet and pads. those falls from the wagon were just too tough on my old bones and i resent bouncing down the street! the more i tell myself i can't and i won't, the more i seem to buy. my sister wants a watercolor quilt, not the pink ribbon quilt i had planned (and started). my ddil wants a scenic/ picture quilt-- i have no idea what she wants! i sent her a picture of one, and she screamed, TOO Modern. honestly, if she thinks i'm making a kingsize dragon, she's insane!! and meanwhile, my dgd, who will be 2 in august, is not getting a quilt for this b'day. mom would like me to make an over the top minnie mouse dress! it is way tooooo cute to say no. i will post pics when it's done!
    my dd has been given a handstitched flimsy and she wants me to finish it and quilt it. am i up for this? i don't know~ but i don't have ANY '30's fabric and the quilt has no back! so everyone conspires for me to buy more more!! i'm going to have to knock down walls pretty soon. oh, wait! i can use the space where i used to park the wagon~~
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Nammie: Real lace at that price. We should not be expected to pass up deals, just wpi;dn't be right.
    Nanncia: Its a simple case of peer preasure, it wasn't you fault. They are making you do it. What do you have against Dragons?
    Well put it off for as long as I could. I fell of the wagon to the tune of five yards for $18. I designed a quilt in my EQ that I really like. Would love to do it in Batiks but at the price decided to use mottled fabric. My overall project this year is to finish the pile of UFOs (Finished four bed size this ytd.) As a reward I get to start this quilt at the end of the year. So of course, in prep I am on the lookout for fabric. This was not an impulse buy, I planned it. There, thats my confession. Do I get dispensation for doing it on purpose not on impulse?

Nancia....how about muslin for the backing of the antique flimsy? It would be period correct and much cheaper, no?

Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast