2013 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

I just HAD to buy some fabric for the Round Robin I am in. Honestly I had NOTHING that even remotely worked with the last two rounds. However, I was able to complete the previous two rounds from my stash. Then I signed up for a PP Japanese Lantern quilt with Sashiko wallhanging at the LQS. I HAD to buy the sashiko fabric for the project. Just HAD TO.

I won't mention the other stuff I bought that is just simply beautiful and I'm sure I will need it in the near future.

Right now I have 8 projects hanging over the banister waiting to be quilted (or sandwiched and quilte) and all 8 came from the stash. So I am not feeling too bad. Plus I made 2 little quilts for community service.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:19 PM

mmmmm....."it is all fabric I know I will use.." Mom-6 wonder how many have said the same thing. As a matter of fact I think I said it as I recently placed my order with CT. Just kidding, a Quilters got to do what a Quilters got to do. I think it was Paper Princess that recently rationalized it, whoops I mean explained, all I really want to do is cut back on the amount. Enjoy, I know I can hardly wait for my fix, whoops I mean shipement.

Paulswalia: Love the quilt and the story really makes it additionally special.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

What a reason to have a moratorium paulswalia. And connecting with a friend who has died allows you to grieve and think fondly of her as you work out of her stash. A quilt to treasure.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:57 PM

I think all of us are finding lots of satisfaction in shopping our stash first. However shopping it exclusively is more challenging and for whatever reason, not always workable. Sometimes you just gotta go buy fabric!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 PM

i have to own up to falling of the wagon yesterday. I had a very limited amount of neutrals that was stopping me form finishing a few ufos that I have been trying to get done without buying fabrics for. I kind of figured that neutrals are essentials really
Old 03-14-2013, 02:43 AM

Lady Delux, Let me at that stash!!! love it and now I must get mine sorted like yours!! would love to help use it up. Good stashing.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wardy74 View Post
i have to own up to falling of the wagon yesterday. I had a very limited amount of neutrals that was stopping me form finishing a few ufos that I have been trying to get done without buying fabrics for. I kind of figured that neutrals are essentials really

Fabrics needed for special orders or to finish a project were OK I was told..I just finished a quilt made of nothing but stash, and will be cutting another today...Next is a UFO that can be completed thru stash! I ams till little by little getting my scraps cut and organized for future scrappy quilts...I try to work on this for about an hour a day..from now on I will do this as I work on the project the fabric is from/...Way too much backed up right now~!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:10 AM

Wardy, that wasn't falling off the wagon. That was purchasing needed fabric as opposed to 'wanted' fabric. It's the stash builders that call our names that we are trying to avoid until November. I did buy 2 yards for my birthday present to myself that is unassigned.

I stayed out of one LQS yesterday that had their monthly $5 a yard on a lot of fabrics. Can I avoid the pajama sale at both LQSs where I can get 30% off everything from 9 to 10? Earlier hours have smaller discounts. It's a fun evening - you have to wear pjs or pay full price.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 AM

My stash does not compare to most of these but I am taking up the challenge! Pulled out some "Cars" fabrics with dominant red and black colors from my stash and worked on designing a simple block to make a quilt. It will have one narrow red and one wider black border for one of 3 grandsons. After laying the fabric out and playing with it, I decided a "transition" fabric was needed. Settled on a red 1/4" polka dot on black (I love dots!) and a fat quarter of 1/2" black polka dots on red (just or spark!) from my stash. I already have some "Cars" fabric with all the characters and roads for the backing which will have to be pieced. Haven't decided on the binding yet but I can hardly wait to get started!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 PM

Almost finished piecing another quilt from my stash....and I cut my scraps as I went....Will make organization SO much easier...Having pnemonia will keep me from spending, as long as I don't open certain emails!!