Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Fabric Moratorium

Blog Entries
    nilla-- you are welcome at any time and all the time! misery loves company, the more the merrier, and we have strength in numbers! i refuse to organize! the only way i can justify to myself getting new stuff is to not know how much i have of the old stuff! seriously, i am trying to shop my stash only. i know in august i will be spending money on fabric for a kingsize star quilt for my son and ddil. i know he would be happy with sewn together dishtowels, but she will want something more decorative i'm sure. she doesn't know what colors she wants because she doesn't have any color schemes-- with the exception of the baby's room being pink. it is a new and different world, and i'n trying to find my place in it~ she had seen a scenic quilt and thought she wanted that. but when i showed her a star quilt she became ecstatic, which is what i thought she was talking about to begin with. but the last laugh is on me since i have never done a star quilt. but as a wise, not so old woman told me, nanci, it's all hst's. lol, she's right!!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    And here I am again, showing up with the hang-dog look because I ordered more fabric. It started with a DP9 from bald eagle squares for my BIL who loves those birds but I didn't have enough. So I found a panel (and a pillow panel and another panel because I couldn't decide) and then I looked at their new arrivals. Wouldn't you know it that they just got some Peanuts fabric in. OH THE SHAME OF IT. But I just kept putting stuff in my basket. It felt so good. Even paying wasn't painful. I truly am in trouble.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I'm beginning to think we don't suffer from insanity, we enjoy every minute. So far this weekend, I have been good. Considering I havn't been to a garage sale or to a fabric store not quite sure how much credit I can take.

Blog Entries
    Martina, do you have enough eagle fabric? Sounds like you must all set. I haven't been to the store for my 1/2 yard of red. I'm not brave enough to go in with such a good sale yet.

Blog Entries
    what store? where?

sales? Discounts? Coupons? Lets go nancia!!

Blog Entries
    Boy are you my kind of people! I've been better being on this thread. But better isn't perfect. But I think twice or even three times before I buy something. And more times than the past, I don't buy. Thanks for the help and increased awareness of my buying habits.

I went fabric shopping yesterday, my last time without thinking carefully about how much I really "need" to buy. Surprise, I went over my monthly budget by about 20$ in a matter of a few hours, but I'm pretty sure I have the fabrics I need for any projects I will work on between now and Christmas so I'm satisfied.

I'm in a fabric moratorium starting now!

I was asked this week to make a quilt for my best friend's niece, who is due to be born Thanksgiving. Well I have enough materials to make a car seat quilt like I made for my boyfriend's nephew, ironically out of the same fabric line. I fear that I don't have enough matching for the additional items she's asked me to make last night. I recently got this book, Adorable Animal Applique (http://www.anniescatalog.com/detail.html?prod_id=100528), and she's asked me to make a lot of the safari items in the book. This means shopping! I haven't even started looking yet. You all know by now that's dangerous for me.

I spent yesterday looking for a new sewing machine. Mine has started skipping stitches, and the trip to the doctor didn't help it. It'll be 22 years old this winter, so it's done its duty. I think I've narrowed it down to 2 machines:

Singer 9960 Quantum Stylist (http://www.amazon.com/SINGER-9960-Qu...dp/B004RDH7Y8/)

Brother SE400 (http://www.amazon.com/Brother-SE400-...dp/B003AVMZA4/)

They both have their benefits, and part of me wants the ability to do small embroidery projects without having to rely on my boyfriend's best friend's wife. Of course, because she has an embroidery machine, he says I don't need one. However, because it does embroidery, you only get 23 actual decorative stitches, which I actually use when I make placemats and mug rugs. The Singer has 600 stitches, but over half of them are the 5 fonts for the monogramming function and 13 are automatic buttonholes, which I won't use enough to say so. Neither have a large throat though. I don't want a $1000 machine, and haven't found one that they give the price for online below that price that I like. Our local "sewing center" (we don't have a LQS) sells machines, and anytime you go in there for anything (including the time I went in there for some buttons to match something I already had), they try to sell you a machine, which drives me nuts. I only go in there for them to work on my machine or something specific. They specialize in embroidery machines, machine repair, and machine consumables (needles, bulbs, etc.), so they don't have much in the way of quilting supplies & fabrics. Anyway, that's where I'm at, leaning toward the Singer unless something else catches my eye.

Blog Entries
    I have seen lots of bad comments on the Singer machine recently. Not sure if it was this forum or another one. There seems to be a 6 month life span with this machine if I remember correctly. May be worth doing a bit more research for you.

As for the safari patches - I'd have to go shopping for those too. Not too much animal print in my stash. Have you checked Keepsakequilting.com? They usually have animal type prints - a bit pricey but a nice selection.
    Martina

Blog Entries
    d'sm-- i have the brother se400. right now i'm using it while waiting to take my big brother in for his yearly check up. he does a good job of piecing and stretch stitch. i haven't used it for embroidery because i have the brother 7050 which does only embroidery ( and i don't know how to do it, but i will!! someday...) anyway, i am really happy with my brothers. i have the gray singer heavy duty and i could only make it do straight lines (coulda been me, it was early in the game.) it's a work horse but not much to write home about. i'll be making some drapes for my bedroom and i plan to use that machine. be sure to get the se400 at a store that services them. i've heard the big box version is all spaghetti inside, and like cadbury eggs, when they're gone, they're gone. on the other hand, i have 3 fw's and 2 are working great, the 3rd one is packed away someplace safe(?).....(shrug). last time i used it, it was super. that's my input. just thought you would like to know.

Can I join too please! I have a serious affection for fabric! And vintage sewing machines!! I've been trying to use from my stash but just recently I found the section in my favorite thrift store where they hide fabric - hanging on hangers sometimes for a dollar or two. Then 40 to 70 percent off depending on the day and the color of the sticker. I am in deep do do for sure. Lol
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

Blog Entries
    There's as reason, no many reasons, why you haven't heard from me lately. Oh, the fabric I've bought, rescued, hoarded, stashed, adopted, stored, etc. What makes it worse is that it's summer and I don't sew as much in the summer, so the fabric-in versus fabric-out calculation has become heavily swayed to one side. Well, it made me happy - so I'm going to get up, put on my big girl panties and face the world with a smile on my face. There, I'm NOT sorry!
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    I have seen lots of bad comments on the Singer machine recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by nancia View Post
    d'sm-- i have the brother se400. right now i'm using it while waiting to take my big brother in for his yearly check up. ... anyway, i am really happy with my brothers. i have the gray singer heavy duty and i could only make it do straight lines (coulda been me, it was early in the game.) it's a work horse but not much to write home about. ...Be sure to get the se400 at a store that services them. i've heard the big box version is all spaghetti inside....On the other hand, i have 3 fw's and 2 are working great.... that's my input. just thought you would like to know.
    Thank you for the input ladies. I've been talking to everyone I could get my hands on about this, and reading all the reviews and comments on them that I could find. There's a lot of comments all over saying Singer isn't what it used to be. The upside is that it's still got a metal chassis, where a lot of brands are now plastic. In the past, I never would have imagined considering buying anything Brother again. I've had a few Brother printers in my time, both for personal and professional use, and usually wanted to throw them out the window in the path of a speeding train.

There is a Brother dealer locally, but I'm not sure if I can make myself buy from him. It's the shop where I get my machine repaired, and it doesn't matter what you go in there for, including my trip to buy buttons I needed to match some the man lost off his sport coat, they try to force an embroidery machine down your throat every time you walk in the door. They aren't in the quilting business at all, and don't carry enough quilting materials to say so. The next closest is 40 miles away, just across the Georgia line, not too far from my best friend's house. Apparently there's a Husqvarna dealer here too that I didn't know about until yesterday. I may have to check their machines out in person too. My old Kenmore & I have been many miles together over the last 22 years.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    As for the safari patches - I'd have to go shopping for those too. Have you checked Keepsakequilting.com?
    I've not started looking yet. I asked her to find out which of the wall decals they were buying first, since the set she showed me comes in 11 variations. If she's doing the pastels, I thought I might do better to go with the pastel background animal prints, but if she's going with the bold colors, I'll stick to the traditional ones. I have a Keepsake catalog, but intentionally haven't cracked it yet, trying to behave. I'll likely make a trip to Joann (45 min away) & see what they have first, since it's about time for my quarterly trip to that area anyway. I rarely buy fabric online. I'm one of those who likes to touch it first so I know what I'm getting, unless it's a print I have to have. I will be making a car seat quilt out of leftovers of a jelly roll of Moda "Jungle Bungle" for her too. I know where to go if I can't find what I want though! I live in a quilting wasteland. The nearest LQS went out of business after first of the year when the owners retired, and that was 40 miles away, in the opposite direction of the Brother dealer mentioned above. It's a Husqvarna dealer now.

Blog Entries
    In my neighborhood, during the growing season, you will find bags of zucchini and other produce anonymously left on your doorstep. Yesterday, I opened the door to find 3 bags of fabric! I was able to track down the 'culprit', who was getting ready to paint and was doing some cleaning. The bags had lots of different fabric types. I sorted it and will keep about half of one bag and donate the rest. So my perfect record so far for July has been broken, but it wasn't my fault!!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    In my neighborhood, during the growing season, you will find bags of zucchini and other produce anonymously left on your doorstep. Yesterday, I opened the door to find 3 bags of fabric! I was able to track down the 'culprit', who was getting ready to paint and was doing some cleaning. The bags had lots of different fabric types. I sorted it and will keep about half of one bag and donate the rest. So my perfect record so far for July has been broken, but it wasn't my fault!!
    Hey - that's an idea ......ring the bell and run!
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Blog Entries
    paulswalia-- now that you have your big girl panties on, it might be a good idea to put on your big girl bra before you decide to drop anything and run! just sayin'....

does this moratorium say we can acquire fabric by any means? it's not our fault if somebody does a drive-by cloth-ing!!
    i would really like it if someone would do a drive-by shoe-ting at my house, size 9 medium. pm me for the address! lol

Quote Originally Posted by nancia View Post
    paulswalia-- now that you have your big girl panties on, it might be a good idea to put on your big girl bra before you decide to drop anything and run! just sayin'....

does this moratorium say we can acquire fabric by any means? it's not our fault if somebody does a drive-by cloth-ing!!
    i would really like it if someone would do a drive-by shoe-ting at my house, size 9 medium. pm me for the address! lol
    I say that you have no control over a drive by. What's a girl to do--leave the fabric homeless- how unkind!! Maybe I'm wrong, but I figure if you don't pay for it, it doesn't count. Isn't the purpose of this to save money?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    I say that you have no control over a drive by. What's a girl to do--leave the fabric homeless- how unkind!! Maybe I'm wrong, but I figure if you don't pay for it, it doesn't count. Isn't the purpose of this to save money?
    Not for me. Of course I need to save money (diminishing limited income), but the purpose for me is regain the use my house. I not only need to not bring any in, but purge several rooms. More fabric than I'll ever use has become clutter. But which of my pretties to give away??? I live by 'I might need it someday.'

Blog Entries
    d'sm-- husqvarna viking is a quality product! i had mine for many years before someone stole it. they didn't get the footpedal! i went with top of the line kenmore and loved it for 23 or4 years. i think it just needs a thorough cleaning to get it going again, but i have enough other machines i'm in no hurry!! it would be funny if we had the same one.
    the only fabric i have bought is in the form of pre-made clothing. i am going to texas in a few weeks and i always like to get new clothes. and i go with a color plan which allows me to go with just a carry-on for a month or more. this trip's color is coral.

Blog Entries
    i hosey any fabric by amy butler of kaffe fassett! willing to trade services, that's not buying, right?

Blog Entries
    Hm, is the purpose of this thread to save money? That is a good question. For me I have to say saving money is not really a great motivator. Losing space in my room and losing sight of what I have is. So it only makes sense that I went to Joann last night after a bad day at work and bought some quilt paper and another marking pen (mine is dry) and then I took a leisurely trip past the quilting fabric coz I wasn't there to buy fabric. Honest! But they had the perfect backing fabric for my Sue's Nightmare quilt - some lovely "Day of the Dead" skulls with flowers. Perfectly befitting Sunbonnet Sue's Demise quilt. I couldn't resist. It was THE FABRIC I had been jonesing for and didn't know it. lol
    Martina

Blog Entries
    Martina, I still say as long as it's used and not stashed, it's okay. It's the stash that needs controlling for me. That sounds like fabric my GDs would like.

Blog Entries
    Dusty's Momma, you said, "Apparently there's a Husqvarna dealer here too that I didn't know about until yesterday. I may have to check their machines out in person too." My two cents is that before you make a final decision, do check out the Viking(now Husqvarna) dealer. I sew on a basic under $500 (but that was 10 years ago) machine that is not electronic but serves me well. I am sure they are more $$ now but this is my 2nd one since 1977 and I always get great service from any dealer I go to. I know they make more expensive ones, too so do check them out.
    My fabric buying these past few weeks has just been paying for postage to get some scraps from another board member. It was well worth it because everything she sent, I can use!
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats
    Blog Entries
    I had never read this thread before OMG what a stitch... Literally! All the ways to hide fabric, rationalize purchases by color or print, or for medicinal purposes! I'm rolling on the floor with my bad back at all I am reading! Keep writing I'm anxiously awaiting the next reasons for breaking ranks! It is so entertaining and self revealing. I am just as bad... If I buy this (or that) ill not buy anything else till next month, or till I start and finish that quilt I originally bought that fluorescent butterfly print for!! Makes me laugh!

Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 ... LastLast