Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Fabric Moratorium

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmck View Post
    Hi every one..just found this thread....thinking I should join.
    I have 25 tubs of at least 50 yards in each one...do you think I should join????
    Welcome to the board and welcome to this thread. Off hand I'd say you probably could pull together one or two quilts from your stash, so please, yes join us!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I think if you have too much that you should share with your moratorium friends. I wish I had the room for that much fabric! Oh I'd get in so much trouble!!!

Yeap, you'll fit right in. There isn't a minimum reguired but your clearly an overachiever. Welcome from Oregon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmck View Post
    Hi every one..just found this thread....thinking I should join.
    I have 25 tubs of at least 50 yards in each one...do you think I should join????
    OH NO, I feel a competition coming on.......lol

Of course you should join. The more the merrier.

I'm conflicted today: Need to work on a Round Robin and I do not have the right shade of blue for the sky fabric. I have light blue, dark blue, purpely blue, blue green, teal blue, but not a scrap of grey blue. All the shades I have a jarringly off so I have to go to Joann after work to find something to match. On the upside I have all the other fabrics in my stash.
    Last edited by MadQuilter; 04-18-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Here are a few things I have made since rearranging my fabric and finding fabric I forgot I had. Imagine that. I am currently working on three small wall hangings that I found (among many other things) when I rearranged my fabric. I posted pictures of my reorganization under Mission Organization. It is such a good feeling to be using fabric that I already have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sophie2

Blog Entries
    Welcome Mrsmck. Wow! To be able to have so much fabric to choose from and probably acquired at a price much less than today's prices. Lucky you. Welcome and so glad you have joined us. Please share pics when you make somewonderful creation. Sophie2, thanks for sharing pics of your latest. The floral panels are so unique. Is there a pattern for them? I am wondering how you made them in 3-D??? Lastly, I admit, I fell off the wagon again. Or at least one foot. I bought one charm pack from MSQ on their daily deal and added one other charm pack to make the shipping worthwhile. Still a savings, considering my closest fabric store is over 10 miles away.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Quote Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
    Welcome Mrsmck. Wow! To be able to have so much fabric to choose from and probably acquired at a price much less than today's prices. Lucky you. Welcome and so glad you have joined us. Please share pics when you make somewonderful creation. Sophie2, thanks for sharing pics of your latest. The floral panels are so unique. Is there a pattern for them? I am wondering how you made them in 3-D??? Lastly, I admit, I fell off the wagon again. Or at least one foot. I bought one charm pack from MSQ on their daily deal and added one other charm pack to make the shipping worthwhile. Still a savings, considering my closest fabric store is over 10 miles away.
    Thank you for the compliment. I did the 3-d flowers on my embroidery unit. After doing the embroidery you cut the bobbin threads and "pow" the flowers pop.
    Sophie2

Blog Entries
    Sophie all very lovely.
    I caved yesterday, how in the world do not buy when fat quarters are .99????? No i am hanging my head in shame...just don't tell my husband-he he
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi View Post
    Sophie all very lovely.
    I caved yesterday, how in the world do not buy when fat quarters are .99????? No i am hanging my head in shame...just don't tell my husband-he he
    Your secret is safe with us!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi View Post
    Sophie all very lovely.
    this is an oldie, but a goodie on how to hide your stash:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKiiOH5oJfs
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    i have a real problem! i visited jo-ann's and took advantage of all their sales. so i put it in the trunk of my car. i'm the only one who drives it, EXCEPT, tomorrow i have to go visit a friend who has suffered a loss, and i made an appointment to have my car inspected. dh is letting me use his car and he'll take mine in. now, how to get the fabric out of my car and into his car without him knowing, and then i have to do it in reverse when i get home. yikes! this is too complicated! betcha real money i'm going to get busted!!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Oh dear Nancia! Um, tell him I sent it for the puppies! Hey, at least you got it at a good price, right?

Remember Nancia there is alway the old, "Look how much money I saved."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nancia View Post
    i have a real problem! i visited jo-ann's and took advantage of all their sales. so i put it in the trunk of my car. i'm the only one who drives it, EXCEPT, tomorrow i have to go visit a friend who has suffered a loss, and i made an appointment to have my car inspected. dh is letting me use his car and he'll take mine in. now, how to get the fabric out of my car and into his car without him knowing, and then i have to do it in reverse when i get home. yikes! this is too complicated! betcha real money i'm going to get busted!!
    I used to do this with shoes! I would leave the boxes at the store and then I waited until everyone was asleep or not home and bring them in and put them in the closet! I could never go into a store and only buy one pair of shoes, usually 2 or 3 pairs at a time!!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Well, I dove off the wagon head first and landed on a pile of fabric. I just made a trip to Joann in Montgomery and spent over $200, most of which was fabric. I got about 30 FQ's at $.99 each (mostly batiks!), got about 10 yards of batiks on clearance at $3/yd, bought 2 more of the marble colors I've been hording for our future new king size quilt for our bed, picked up 2 other fabrics for a swap runner, got a patriotic fabric on clearance for $3/yd, and some pretty dragonfly fabric I splurged on for my stash. Since notions & thread were 50% off, of course I got pins, rotary blades, velcro, denim patches for those blasted jeans Dusty loves that constantly need repairing, and some hem tape to fix a pair of dress pants. Oh, I got the Omnigrid 4 piece square ruler set for $23 with my coupon.

I didn't hide mine in the car like Nancia though, lol. When I got home, my boyfriend was taking a nap, so I just dropped it in the sewing room!
    Last edited by DustysMomma; 04-20-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Well Dusty's mom when you fall of you really make a big splash. You've been so good, but look at all the money you saved.

Blog Entries
    Just gonna say....I see a pattern....I fell off the wagon in March....swore that if I showed my wonderful fabrics, you would all follow. Welcome to tbe Dark Side!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
    Well Dusty's mom when you fall of you really make a big splash. You've been so good, but look at all the money you saved.
    Yeah, and most of it is for swaps and projects in planning. I only bought a couple things just because I liked them. The last time I misbehaved this badly I think was their last REALLY big sale back before Christmas. This time though, I spent enough that I didn't put it on the AmEx so my boyfriend wouldn't see how much I spent. I doubt he'd say anything, because it's not like he didn't know I was going because there was a big sale, but I felt a little self conscious about it. Oh well, 200 sky miles were sacrificed today.

I think we are walking a fine line between a moratorium and a group of enablers. I keep clinging to the fact that my fabric spending is way way down.

I think we are walking a fine line between a moratorium and a group of enablers. I keep clinging to the fact that my fabric spending is way way down.

I was thinking the same thing!! But in actuality being accountable for what we spend helps reduce it for most of us..what we need is a 12 step program!!

Hi, I'm Pat and I am a fabric-o-holic!

Blog Entries
    I agree, too. I really don't want to QUIT buying fabric but just joined to try and use from my stash first if I can. I have been lots better about it though since I signed up so I don't feel bad. Glad I am not alone.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Went to Textile Traders new store with my Mum.....just bought thread, but was getting jittery near the sale table so had to leave.....Now my Mum thinks I'm getting a bit strange....ARRRGH....can't win.

Blog Entries
    well, earthwalker, at least, she thinks you are 'getting weird', rather than you are weird. you have a chance to save yourself! give up quilting and send your stash to me. i will disperse it among the board members. that way we don't shop and you don't make it to weird. weird is an occupational hazard of being a quilter. instead of the crazy cat lady, we're the crazy cloth hoarders! better do it soon before the international rates go up! i'll pm you my address.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

For me, it's been really good to be part of this. If I can keep my splurges down to only the couple really big sales that Joann has per year and otherwise only buy for swaps, specific projects, or to go with what I have, I consider this a success for me. Even if there are a few enabling moments, the accountability is what keeps me strong when I want to go look or buy more when I go buy for projects.

Blog Entries
    I'm moving and reorganizing my sewing space. That in itself is a pretty big incentive to hold off on buying!!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast