2013 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

I'll be out of town for a wedding tomorrow, so I'm posting the monthly update a day early. As I wrote earlier I got 3 yards to 'help' a friend get free postage from CT, I drooled over their new Christmas line, but held firm and did not make a purchase. I also passed all my JoAnn's coupons to my niece and didn't even go in the store. Went to my LQS and just got my buck-a-block, bypassing the markdown table. I also took about 20 quilting and craft books up to the used book store. No garage sales visited either. Not perfect, but not horrible either. Hope to actually QUILT in July, as all my paper business jobs are done!!! Yay!!! How did you do??
Old 06-29-2013, 04:23 PM

very clever, mrshalibut! i like the idea of having patching fabric available.
i was very good once my dh told me i'm on a spending moratorium! poo! i did buy some dog bed fabric at 99 cents a yard and used one piece for a child's quilt backing. i am working on a turning 20 that has become a 'turned into 25'. i thought the twenty looked small. the whole thing is from stash batiks, and i have enough yardage to piece a backing. yay! a free quilt! then i have 2 dresses to make, and maybe some doll and girl clothes sets (pj's have been suggested.) and by then i'll be on my way to dallas! august is out of the question since i will hit golden d'or and several other outlets. boxes sent home shouldn't count since the new will be worn off before i can use the cloth. oops. i did it again! i enabled myself!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:40 PM

I have been doing very well. With my DH's encouragement, I'm going to go to a shop hop and spend some money buying fabric. He consisders this my reward for stop smoking. The day of the shop hop I will have been smoke free for one month. DH said to spend the amount I would have spent on a months worth of smokes for my reward.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:43 PM

Nancia: Your my inspiration! The rest of us can only aspire to your level of creativity.Can't wait to hear the gorey details about August.
I am still smarting about how bad I was in June so it will probably be easy to be good for at least a month. My total year to date is just over $200 or about $33 per month. This moratorium helped me cut my spending by at least 2/3rds. Now if my friends just don't tell me about any fabric ridden garage sales.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:44 PM

woo hoo, katfish!! you go, girl! stopping smoking is HUGE! i quit after 32 yrs, and it has been 14 yrs now. the funny thing is, in my dreams i am a smoker. lol, in real life i am a breather! life is so much better!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
very clever, mrshalibut! i like the idea of having patching fabric available.
i was very good once my dh told me i'm on a spending moratorium! poo! i did buy some dog bed fabric at 99 cents a yard and used one piece for a child's quilt backing. i am working on a turning 20 that has become a 'turned into 25'. i thought the twenty looked small. the whole thing is from stash batiks, and i have enough yardage to piece a backing. yay! a free quilt! then i have 2 dresses to make, and maybe some doll and girl clothes sets (pj's have been suggested.) and by then i'll be on my way to dallas! august is out of the question since i will hit golden d'or and several other outlets. boxes sent home shouldn't count since the new will be worn off before i can use the cloth. oops. i did it again! i enabled myself!
It would be such a shame to break the moratorium!! SO-----I have a solution- You can just send those boxes to me in Sunny Florida!! This way I wouldn't be spending money and not break the challenge, and you wouldn't have to worry about feeling guilty about all that new fabric!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
woo hoo, katfish!! you go, girl! stopping smoking is HUGE! i quit after 32 yrs, and it has been 14 yrs now. the funny thing is, in my dreams i am a smoker. lol, in real life i am a breather! life is so much better!
I quit 2 years ago, but unfortunately I waited for a month in ICU to help me quit- now I am on oxygen 24/7. Congratulations and encourage others to join the non-smoking world!
Old 06-30-2013, 12:11 AM

pat-- we need to talk, honey! you are not getting your paws on my fabric, but i will trade you some! what colors, subjects, etc do you like or need? i am the queen of enablers, so help me enable you! lol
i'm proud of you for quitting! and i thought eating tootsie rolls was a hard way to quit, you certainly had it worse than me! just keep doing that in and out air thing !
Old 06-30-2013, 07:21 AM

I've been trying to be good. My problem is that my stash is full of things I like instead of things that go together. I bought some solid brown fabric to go with a patterned fabric I bought for a runner, then I pulled another fabric from my stash as an afterthought & low & behold, the solid I originally bought doesn't go with the afterthought fabric, so yesterday I had to go to Hobby Lobby for a matching solid. That is the only thing I bought yesterday though!

I bought some fish fabric when I bought the original brown, which is going to be backing for my fishy quilt when I get the last BOM downloaded from Fat Cat. Yes, I'm early, but it was the perfect backing & it'll keep me from looking for one later, which could result in even more fabric buying, so I don't feel bad. It may even result in me buying the rest of the blocks so I can work on it early.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:18 PM

i bought the series of owls from fatcat. i forget to check the bom so i just did the easy route-- threw some money at it! lol, i'm not rolling in the stuff but it seemed a good idea.
i have finished the batik top turning into 25