Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Fabric Moratorium

I'm in again this year! I did OK last year, till December...flannel for 15 pairs of PJs for the kids in my life and new fabric for 3 different quilts. Nothing I had matched the personality of the person these were intended for. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Blog Entries
    OK, so started finishing a UFO. It is very sloppy stitching it together (I think we can definitely call me a hobby quliter), but I really don't want to spend the $$ for someone else to finish. That said and thinking I will actually finish some UFOs, where do we post the finished product? I will have to do that to keep me motivated.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    OK, so started finishing a UFO. It is very sloppy stitching it together (I think we can definitely call me a hobby quliter), but I really don't want to spend the $$ for someone else to finish. That said and thinking I will actually finish some UFOs, where do we post the finished product? I will have to do that to keep me motivated.
    You have your choice of where to post completed items. There are a couple of threads in the challenge area for UFOs and Stash Buster quilts, but I post mine in the regular picture forum.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Smile BOM to Finished Quilt -- Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    laynak, do you complete the BOMs into a finished quilt? If so, then go for it. That is a great bargain, especially when batiks are involved. We are trying to reduce our stashes, not take away the fun of quilting. It's mindless buying that I personally want to curtail.
    The blocks each month are different so finishing the quilt feels like completing a mystery quilt (though we did see a sample B/W photo of a complete quilt from the blocks at the start of the year).
    I just finished the 2013 BOM patriotic quilt top that'll be going to my nephew who has returned from his 3rd tour in Afghanistan. And, completed a 'Cinco de Mayo' quilt the year before. I haven't posted photos recently but will need to get these uploaded soon.
    It's amazing to find 100+ women at a small shop in a small town at 9 a.m. on the first Saturday of each month to get their new BOM and hear about classes and fabrics that have come available. There are raffles each month and discounts on fabrics that day only. It's tempting to shop, but there's such a line, it's easy to be there for the main purpose only (the BOM & monthly news).

Blog Entries
    I have been working on EOY books for our farm and also do it for the home as well as the computer program works well with both farm and home accounts. I overspent my quilt budget by 100% and this year kept tract of # of yards bought. Let's just say I shouldn't buy any fabric in 2014 and I'll be money ahead! Now what can I do with that extra$$$$?
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I'm in, fer sure. We are selling the condo in Florida so consolidation is in order, anyway. Last year I caved and bought fabric for the Jinny Beyer Moonglow pattern (finished) and my northern lights quilt (not even started). Other than that, just backing and borders, although pieced backings are looking evermore attractive.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Blog Entries
    I'm back too. So far so good. I did sign up for a round robin so we'll see what the stash will support. I've been focusing on finishing some UFOs and fortunately for me, most of them are finished tops already. I've been making myself use stash for backing (creatively-pieced). One thing I see me buying is some more solids. As it gets used up, I generally replenish, particularly red, white, and black.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    Let's see, who said confession is good for the soul? Connecting threads reprinted their red and blue rhapsody lines and i was too slow the first time to get any, so i jumped on the charms and cakes. I will make a r,w,b 5 and dime quilt top as soon as i find the cutting mat, lol. Thinks got a little screwy over the holidays. Ds was here when the box arrived. " so, mom, how's that moratorium working for you?" Lol, better than he thinks! I could have bought sooooo much more! So one more year of sitting on the wagon wheel! And it's only the 9th. Man, I'm in trouble already!!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Well...I resisted the first temptation of the year! I am in a Round Rodin and was going to go shopping yesterday. I decided to shop my stash first and lo and behold....I found just what I needed! Backing too...so I didn't get to go shopping but YAY ME!

Blog Entries
    Hi all, This group really helped keep me focused last year and I only fell off the wagon a few times. I vowed to do better this year, use what I have and work on UFO's. I will shop my stash first before I even think of buying anything else. That being said, I received my Connecting Threads catalog and told DH that it just wasn't fair for them to have that super 'reds' sale on in January, just when I had made a resolution to not buy any more fabric. I held out and didn't buy that collection last Jan. '13 and regretted it all year. I do not have a lot of red in my stash and need reds to finish the round robin I am in plus my KC Star Rubies, Diamonds etc. quilt that I want to begin this summer. So..my sweet DH said to go ahead and get it and then try to stick to my resolution. So naturally, I did. Now that I have that out of my system, I am going to try and be good for months to come. Help keep me on the wagon! Please!!!
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Blog Entries
    I am officially on board this year. I think I tried last near, may have come in part way through the year, didn't do well at all and slunk out.

I would like to add that I didn't purchase any fabric in December 2013 as well so I am right in the swing of things.

I'm not taking the moratorium lightly, I came to a conclusion that I really have too many UFOs and WIPs. Too many. Then I have 3 rubbermaid tubs filled with a small amount of yardage and a whole heck of a lot of fat quarters. These are just living in the tubs, no purpose, just hanging out.

So I have a goal, I need to finish some UFOs and some WIPS. Then I need to use up some of my stash (so I will also be in the let's use our stash thread and the ufo challenge thread and whatever thread will keep me motivated).

I received two beautiful Kaffe Fasset quilt kits for Christmas from friends...I can't even bear to look at them until I finish something!!!

So what have I done so far in December and this much of January? Nothing LOL.

I was at our local quilt shop twice this week already and am very proud to report that I did not buy any fabric. I did however sign up for a retreat and one class. Whew...at least between the two I should get some sewing done, and fortunately the class does not require any purchasing as I have everything I need in my stash.

So far so good.
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

Blog Entries
    Three tubs and some FQs?? I can't even comment as I don't want to try to put mine in measurement mode.

Nancia, don't mention Rhapsody in Reds. I pouted last year when I missed out even though I was in the moratorium. Now it's back - so far, so good, but if I keep it in the front of my mind, I might weaken. I threw away the catalog, but my computer knows the way to CT. My son says, "If it's red, it's yours." The boy know his mother. My new sectional is red velvet. Did you see the pillows in the pattern section of the catalog in the large print with embroidery added? You are an enabler, for sure, but you can't enable anyone who doesn't want to be.

Blog Entries
    I can't make You go anywhere you don't want to go! But I can make you feel like a welcome visitor. 8-)
    i decided on the pre-cuts as it involved less foldable fabric, and quick to use. Less chance for me to drape myself in yards of the stuff without having to sew it together!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    Three tubs and some FQs?? I can't even comment as I don't want to try to put mine in measurement mode.

Nancia, don't mention Rhapsody in Reds. I pouted last year when I missed out even though I was in the moratorium. Now it's back - so far, so good, but if I keep it in the front of my mind, I might weaken. I threw away the catalog, but my computer knows the way to CT. My son says, "If it's red, it's yours." The boy know his mother. My new sectional is red velvet. Did you see the pillows in the pattern section of the catalog in the large print with embroidery added? You are an enabler, for sure, but you can't enable anyone who doesn't want to be.
    That Rhapsody in Red collection is everyone's downfall! I think last year the collection sold out in less than a month. That was my first tumble from the wagon last year! I don't want to encourage you, but I was so glad I did. THIS year I can resist because I still have some in my stash.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    im floor to ceiling covered in bookcases filled with fabric, I'm good for a looooooooooooooong while.. 2012-2013 I cant recall buying anything except needles.. maybe a remnant or two at 50% off of 50%.... So for a few bucks i didnt count it as spending , especially when it was less than what my average lunch cost ..lol..

Our lovely quilting group lost a beloved quilter a few years back and her sons blessed us with boxes of fabric from her stash.. I was a lucky recipient of Yardage pieces- some as much as 10 yard pieces and nothing less than 2 yd cuts, so i have backing for many a quilts... IM a scrap quilter so i use almost everything and anything. nothing is wasted, even scraps less than 1.5 are cut unto 'fluff'' for stuffing pin cushions and what nots... So im in with you all.. theres really nothing i need that i cant make do from whats in my sewing room... I do have rolls of batting (poly blend and W&N) in the spare room so when we had the icky weather i had everything i needed...

Now if you were to ask me to do this 5 years ago, i would of thought you all are nuts, i have been 'hoarding' fabric since early 2009... i bought what i wanted when i wanted.. I bought bolts instead of yards after a few years of wondering what the heck i was going to do with just a FQ... So this year, like the last year IM NOT BUYING FABRIC !!! no backing, no border, no nothing (but pellon & Insulbrite as im out of that stuff !!)

So here is my wish and good luck to you all..
    May you find the perfect fabric in your stash.. May your seams match up every time...And may your cuts be accurate !!!

My first day here and I'm in. I have a bad habit of buying just because: it feels nice, it's pretty, I will use it someday and it is on sale and and and on and on my excuses go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lpeni View Post
    My first day here and I'm in. I have a bad habit of buying just because: it feels nice, it's pretty, I will use it someday and it is on sale and and and on and on my excuses go.
    Welcome! Lots of Michiganders on this board. Hope you enjoy reading the posts & looking at all the great quilts posted for inspiration.
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I am in again this year. I admit I bought a few yards of special material last year. But really did not buy muc ill till the Monday before Thanksgiving really. I did buy couple big spools white thread. And found a package of big needles for tying. Nor sure better than had. I really not sure how many yards of material I bought in Nov but probably 30 yds or so.

Blog Entries
    Well I totally blew my plans (and saved money) today.

I went to Joann's looking for some rick rack and other trims
    for the doll quilt swap I am in. Made the mistake of going to
    the fabrics to see what was new.

Cost me over $60 to get out of there. Than I stopped at Colorado
    Fabrics (formerly Denver Fabrics), to check and see if they had any
    rick rack and other trims in grey, they had a couple but I also found
    several remnant pieces that are priced by the pound. These will be
    use for making scarves with left overs going into my "crazy quilt"
    boxes.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Alright I may have blown it. I bought 1 yrd of blender white for a quilt in my round robin. I am using scrap colors and white as the tie in.. I could not believe with all my fabric I had zero white. WHAT? worse yet went there for a yard of kona black. nope they had all other companys Hoffman, Kauffman, moda.. no KONA. argh. half through a project now to order it on line. paying 5.00 shipping for a yard of 5.99 fabric kills me.. makes you wanna.. just get a bit of this lol and a bit of that to well justify the shipping. DO YOU HAVE A YARD TO SELL???

I also, gulp bought 3/4 yrd scrap of red blender for 5.00 as I am out of a red in my stash and that is the next round. not enough scraps to fill in the red part or would have used them honest. I did not look at that adorable bunny fabric hugging daffodils nor did I see the pansy fabric or that.. nope didn't look all. This is hard and its only January! but if you saw my scraps I posted a week ago you would understand the need. And to me I only keep 10" or bigger, smaller goes in the donation bag to Jaba (she sells scraps) or to friends who say hey lady send them here! and how do we grow so many f4's? like turn your back for 10 minutes and there are.. MORE. ahhhh. so using those up after I finish my 8 plus UFO's. yikes. embarrassing to post that btw. that is way too many start but not finish projects. how lame upside I will finish them. They are next years holiday gifts
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

I backed 4 baby quilts from my stash. The tops were done by someone else last year so I needed to sandwich and then I either quilted and brought the back to the front or did a pillowcase turn and then quilted. 2 more to finish before I allow myself to bring more home from the Bundles of Love organization.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by retiredteacher09; 01-10-2014 at 08:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Brat, you didn't blow it if you needed the fabric and will use in a timely fashion. Blowing it is buying undesignated fabric and stashing it like what would happen if I were to buy the CT Red fabric.

Blog Entries
    Retiredteacher, those blankets are sweet! What a good accomplishment for this early in the year!
    Brat, it's okay to buy as long as you have a plan for it that will happen soon.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

i have not been a part of this group before would love to join for the support. I self imposed a moratorium last year and did pretty well. As least I used more than I bought! That was a start!!! Will join the group and use the support to carry on this year. Look forward to lots of pictures of beautiful projects!!

Ok I am officially in ! Last year I bought more fabric than I have ever bought in any one or maybe even 5 year span. But.....I did go to Bali... and could not leave without consuming every ounce of baggage allotment with batiks. I think mentally that's all it took and the seal on my wallet was broken.... and I continued to binge..in smaller amounts.
    I have to keep telling myself ...don't worry next year they will still sell fabric ..and you will find them just as irresistable.

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast