2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-01-2014, 11:17 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

So far I bought one yard since Jan1st.. it was less than $3 so im not counting it at all.. it was less than LUNCH !! lol..
I did happen to go to an Apparel xpo and got some nice notions but so far so good no textile goods.. Im holding ground NO MORE FABRIC for 2014... Now, mind you, Neutrals are fair game... IF and i mean a H-U-M-U-N-G-O IF, i find neutrals at a fantastic price I refuse to kick myself in the butt later because i dint get the whole bolt.. but like i said it better be at a fantastic price..

Kudos to those holding ground... Keep the straight and narrow !!!
i say for every month you do not spend $ on fabric put $10-$50 in a 'STASH" jar..
on Jan1st 2015 go shopping with all the money you saved !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2014, 03:16 PM

on anything but fabric RIGHT? lol love to have a monster stash for spending at a later date. Right now I am working on a few things: a round robin in rainbow of colors this month need a nice round with greens and only greens in it. could be interesting but using my scraps for this so I give myself a big pat on the back. then there is the quilt for my son in law and that is so boring its KILLING ME. two blocks a week is all I tell myself to do so I can walk away and get into something fun and colorful (its a cream and light teal snowflake pattern.. ugh). and then I have a monthly doll quilt I signed up to do.. what am I thinking??? and I am running a table runner swap and so far its been me me and me who sends the angel quilts so think I might be doing that too.. not signing up just in case. and that my dear friends is what is up for March. I have a bin full of finished work to send out, but can afford only one at a time so I am taking my time and thinking each and every one through.. I have a goal! I want to have at least six quilts for Christmas gifting this year. do you think I can do it??? it will be indeed a challenge. Just finishing things up.. one at a time with the exception of the snowflake quilt. It is possible. Likely????
Old 03-01-2014, 08:00 PM

Everyone is doing so well with being good so far this year. Two months down and ten to go. I am still slaving away on my cat project. I wish I were an artist. It challenges my brain to make things look 'sort-of' real. I will be glad to go back to a regular quilt pattern. I did, as a break from cat quilt, get a backing sewn together (from stash of course) for a quilt top that I have been working on for 2 years as a leader-ender project and had planned to take it to local LA quilter next week. But phone call from far away cousins who are stopping in has squelched that plan. Oh well..it can wait for another time but is all ready to go. I want to go through my scraps and do the Bonnie Hunter Lozenges leader-ender next. It will be a year-long project so I think I will have plenty of time to play catch-up. If I never found another pattern to do, I think I could still stay busy the rest of my life just making quilts from patterns i have. Think I can stick to that...probably not. :-)
Old 03-01-2014, 08:39 PM

Nothing in February for me!! After a flood in my kitchen, laundry room and family room, I've hardly had time to shop anywhere except Home Depot and Lumber Liquidators. Now I'm painting the kitchen ad already have a pretty piece in my stash for new valance. I do need to stop into the LQS to see if one of the repairmen want a Singer Touch & Sew before I throw it away. Dangerous territory, but I am strong. There is a red batik there that calls my name.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

I fell today--went to pick up taxes and you know just down the street is a fave LQS and so I stopped in and bought some peaches from a Jo Morton collection and then as fabrics were getting cut saw some neat grays that just jumped off the shelf. That's my story. But I'm still on budget for the year.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:46 PM

I think the best thing about this thread is that it's helped me to be aware of what I am doing with fabric. It's helped me to control the impulse of just buying anything I want. (fabric). Everyone is really doing their best here and I congratulate you all. I am still working on Orca Bay. My oh my, but that one is a study in tenacity. I'm sewing wings on 2 in. HS turning them into flying geese. There are 350 sq's. 700 wings. The cute little squares were done earlier. I'm close to having one wing on all of them. And I haven't spent any money on fabric for March. (yet??)
Old 03-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
good news!! no fabric bought in either February or March!! dang, i'm good! that's 2 months of no relapses!
Wow Nancia! No fabric in March, and the month is already 2 days old! I'm in total awe of your resolve for February, however. I didn't do so well, and March is my Birthday Month, but I've also been good for 2 days!
Old 03-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

I haven't bought any fabric in march either. YEAH! However, I joined a FQ swap and some of the participants want fabric in colors I have absolutely NONE. Like black with yellow. So I will have to buy a FQ or two but they will go out in the mail immediately.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:36 AM

Other than receiving the 'anniversary gift money for fabric' (which I immediately spent), I've been really good with no other fabric buying. I've finished 3 quilts in 2014. One, which I'd had the fabric for 3-4 years without 'getting to it.' I have a few more of those 'dated' projects to do before I begin to feel shopping withdrawals : )
Actually, I'm feeling pretty good to work with what I have and restrain myself from impulse purchases. They get ahead of what's possible to accomplish anyway. Soon, I've forgotten I even have that project yet to do. Continuing to enjoy my fabric stash....
Old 03-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

I had a coupon for $20 off at Superiorthreads. So I went shopping today. "Just" thread and needles.