2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-07-2014, 08:41 AM

Nancia: As promised, here is the fabric that caused me to fall off the wagon. The colors are as usual distorted, they are really a lot more vibrant. The yellow, brown and beige are accent colors. The purple, green and blue are the main colors. Really want to start this quilt, but not until I finish at least two UFOs.
Attached Thumbnails 140207_0001.jpg  
Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 PM

Emma, you did good! I love those colors. FYI, i have a queen size bed but always use king size quilts ( hint, hint) 8-)
martina, a, no comment on Ricky? Know you bought some hand dyes, how could you not? They would make the most scrumptious pillowcases! The feel Is divine! Then there's the color! Ooooooo, I'm in love! But that is the last time I've bought fabric! And that was in January.
A pkg arrived from c.t. And dh had picked up the mail. My heart jumped and dropped at the same time! I really am committed to this moratorium! So..... He hands me the pkg with THAT look. Oops! Whew, just some turning twenty and turning ten patterns. No thread anywhere! But since then i have stopped buying everything ( anything?) so it was a surprise that those were even ordered. Not that I hadn't ordered them. I had, i had just forgotten and that's a big part of my problem! I buy and forget, like eating potato chips or popcorn, it's mindless. I am working sooo hard not to buy without serious thought! Old habits are tough to break for this retail therapist with a quilting addiction!
Old 02-07-2014, 10:13 PM

Went to Florida to visit family and my sister took me to the local quilt shop.I had run out of hand piecing so I bought a shop special, 36 2.5 strips. I was bad!!
I used my sister's unused rotary cutter and mat,cut up some squares so I would have something to sew.
Next time I will bring more hand work so I won't run out.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:50 AM

Emma, the fabrics are beautiful. I can see why you could not resist. Cannot wait to see what you do with them!
Old 02-08-2014, 12:51 AM

Cindynvb, you were not bad, you just needed something to do.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:57 AM

I finished 5 baby quilts this week using tops that were sewn by other people. I used batting and backing fabric from my stash for 4 of them. I needed to buy fleece for the backing of the 5th one.

Unfortunately, I broke one of my machines so I will be dropping it off at the repair shop later. It is still under warranty and I hope it will be covered. The needle got stuck in the fabric and the machine shuddered. I shut it off but then it wouldn't stitch anymore. It's a computerized one.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 02-08-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:02 AM

Teacher: Those quilts look so snuggly, know they are going to feel so good to a special baby.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Anoka Quilter View Post
Cindynvb, you were not bad, you just needed something to do.
Thanks Anoka
Well, that's what I'm telling myself. I did get quite a few squares sewn together. I need to get some more of my Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses blocks cut out so I will have some handwork ready for when I need it.
cindy
Old 02-08-2014, 12:16 PM

So sorry your machine broke, but glad it's under warranty. It can be very expensive to fix those computerized machines. I'm afraid to use my Bernina these days(isn't that silly) because the repair guy said next time it stops stitching it will need a $200 part. Plus labor!!
I'll bet your Guild is very happy to get those quilts done.
Cindy
[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, I broke one of my machines so I will be dropping it off at the repair shop later. It is still under warranty and I hope it will be covered. The needle got stuck in the fabric and the machine shuddered. I shut it off but then it wouldn't stitch anymore. It's a computerized one. [/QUOTE]
Old 02-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Power Poster

I just got back from the Ricky Tims seminar in Modesto and I fell off the wagon so hard I broke stuff (such as my resolve to not buy fabric!!!). I was a baaaaaaad girl. They don't make it easy on ya' - and that's my defense. For 2 1/2 days I had to walk by the vendor displays. No problem, I can walk by and just look, right? But then I got caught up in that rainbow of delicious hand-dyed fabrics, and I had to get a book autographed, and.... SO the way they handle it: You pick up what you "might" want to buy and the assistants put that in a bag with your name on the bag. You can leave the bag behind the counter until you are ready to check out. Here comes the crux: You can keep adding to the bag - because it has YOUR name on it. YIKES! Every day I was in a different mood and every day a different color way spoke to me as I made my way past that vendor booth. Let's say my bag got heavy. HEAVY - SIGH INDEED. They say that you don't HAVE to buy the things in the bag - but the damn thing had my name on it. OF COURSE I AM GOING TO BUY! Great marketing ploy.

Last edited by MadQuilter; 02-08-2014 at 08:56 PM.