2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-01-2014, 05:12 PM

jetnica do you sleep? ever? or are you sewing madly away at all hours of the day and night? wow! thanks for sharing!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:26 AM

Elisabrat, I also got a lot of zippers from my Mom's stash. I use them to make small bags, cutting the zippers to the size I need. Just yesterday I used a 22 inch zipper, cutting it to size. The price on the package was $.60. Guess I have had that around for awhile! Love having supplies on hand that I can use on scrap projects. Makes me feel like the project was "free".
Old 02-02-2014, 06:09 PM

I have fallen off the wagon but only because I needed something better for 'cat fur' than what I had bought that looked too much like chicken feathers. So I ordered some landscape fabric that looks like yellow grass and hoping it will do the trick. Otherwise, trying to use from stash...so far so good. Annta...that center star is gorgeous!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:29 PM

Well it looks like we are doing well.

It's now February and I have been fabric purchase free for December and January....except for the $2 for 2 fat quarters I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, those were for an upcoming project and were only $1 each!

Coming up in February I have s class, I think have all the fabric, but thats 2 evenings in a quilt shop! I am also goingto a 3 day retreat in February, at the quilt shop! Eek, that's a lot of willpower.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:25 PM

Oh my, my heart goes out to everyone. Such beautiful work. Such control over our passion to create from lovely fabric that beckons us.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:50 PM
Power Poster

Had a meeting with a client today with a view to working with them.....got myself a bit wound up over it and decided on the way home to do some de-stressing at the local CWA (Country Women's Association) Op shop. Resisted clothes, resisted shoes, resisted a really lovely crystal bowl....but almost 2 metres of shot cotton with an interesting striped panel at $1....nope...FAIL...it is forest green, it will go with the family room decor (we do need some more couch quilts and a table runner)...is that any justification AT ALL.

I am astounded by this groups output....all I have done this year is plodded on with piecing my GFG in the evenings and almost finished basting a string quilt I started last year.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:44 AM

Earthwalker: Of course its a good reason! Just ask Nancia. You may be a confirmed quilter if you pass up shoes for another piece of cotton fabric.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:05 AM

Smile 1/12 of the way

I'm able to say I made it through January without buying any fabrics or notions! I'm just completing the binding on the BOM quilt from last year. The custom LAQ is done and it's gorgeous. I also finished the top for a baby quilt for a great nephew to come (more like a little boy quilt as it's quite large for a baby). He'll grow into it.
However, the cost of LAQ certainly exceeds my regular fabric buying costs. The baby quilt LAQ will be getting done in the coming week.
I went to the BOM meeting this past Saturday and only paid for the fabrics for the project (FQ's for 3 mos). So, I'm staying on track and avoiding all other fabric shopping.
I did make a resolution to not do any clothes shopping in 2014, but that didn't last more than 3 weeks. Oh well, I'm not perfect.....
Old 02-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

OOH, I might be in trouble. My girlfriend, who is a new-ish quilter w/o a stash, wants to go fabric shopping with me on President's day. One of the places she wants to go is a really nice LQS about 40 miles away that I only get to once a year or so. Huge selection. I'm trying to convince her to also shop at the equally lovely Paper Princess Stash (aka, Nancy's dining room). I guess I have a couple of weeks to get my will power up to full speed...
Old 02-03-2014, 01:05 PM

laynak,
I want to make 4 quilts for great grand kids. They are small yet but like single size I decided be the best. Get more use.

I said I would not buy clothes in 2013 and I did not. But I buy material most of it right before Thanksgiving while out of town. I had said I would buy a couple pair of walking shoes which I did not find and I have little chance to shop. So this year I found two pair of walking shoes and bought them. $2 a pair and very good ones , I do not plan to buy clothes this year either. Pair of good snow boots if I find some. I do keep a list on clothes buying. You know I should do that on material. I do have all my tickets/receipts from last year.